How To Improve Eyesight

HDD

From this interview-
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5604

Ray Peat said:
RP: In the body, yeah, there’s less oxygen pressure pushing the CO2 out of your body and so your body retains higher concentrations as you go higher in altitude because of the lower oxygen pressure. You can see that in the cornea becomes more compact at higher altitude, and people often notice that their near‐sightedness improves by 2 or 3 diopters.

Mastemah

You can use Vision Training. We do it at Z-health. They have a Vision Gym if you dont want to use a trainer. Exercise like this plus Rays nutrition is a helpful plan.

pboy

being outdoor more where you are focusing on far landscapes, rather than inside and on screens. Sunlight, overall good metabolism, vitamin A, E and C, and enough hydration and blood volume for good dilation blood flow

toddy

Vitamins A, C, E, and minerals like copper and zinc are essential to eyesight.
And get enough sleep.

OP
uuy8778yyi

uuy8778yyi

yes but to actually reverse myopia is a whole different problem to tackle

Spondive

Its interesting that in Chinese medicine eye health and vision are related to liver health, and Peat is big on the liver

Jellyfish

Are you myopic?
I haven't tried this yet, but it looks interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this might be the best thread for me to list some things that definitely improve my eyesight.

1. Vitamin A high dose. On a couple of occasions I have taken between 60,000 and 100,000 I.U.’s and noticed the effect of sharpening my vision. Of course there will be mixed opinions as to how sustainable this type of dosage is.

2. Sunlight, I always noticed that my eyesight is better in sunlight than under fluorescent lighting. I now know about the red light spectrum through this forum and use a red/near infrared combo unit.

I’m convinced that this is the reason for the difference but what surprises me is that if this is indeed the reason my eyesight is better in sunlight how the effect apparently plays a role in ‘real time’.

3. Pycnogenol and perhaps other polyphenol type compounds. I know Ray sees them as being estrogenic but there is no doubt that about 100mg per day of Pycnogenol per day improves my eyesight, sharpness and ‘solidity’ of colours (I am partially colour blind but can still see and identify most colours). The effect is very rapid but will fade on a week or two if I stop taking it.

Also just eating a few ounces of blueberries will boost my eyesight temporarily, I suspect because of the polyphenol compounds present in them. I read that WW2 pilots were given Billberry jam for this reason.

4. Selenium. I just started supplementing it. I am on 800 mcg per day for the first week and then will drop to 200 mcg per day.

It’s quite likely that I was deficient in Selenium as supplementing it has improved my eyesight noticeably, especially reading small text, I also see better now under fluorescent lights.

5. Red light/ Near infra-red light. I have been using the RLM Combi unit since August. I shine it directly into my eyes from about 20 cm’s Away for 5 minutes. This consistently improves my eyesight, both sharpness and solidity/density and the effect lasts for a day or two at least with most likely some of the improvements sticking for quite a few days or maybe even ‘permanently ‘

Some might say that the light I use is too strong for this use but I have so far encountered no down sides at this dose about 4 times per week.

General thought; I notice how many things can effect my eyesight in real time. If I am hungover then my eyesight gets worse for the duration for example.

Overall though I can honestly claim that my eyesight now at 54 is quite a bit better than it was 10 years ago. I was once told I needed glasses to drive a car and started to use them (hated them). Since then I have been told several times that my eyesight is easily good enough to drive without glasses. Most of my friends of my age have to use glasses or use large text to read things on their phones whereas I can read the smallest text with ease.

In summary I think that there’s quite a lot you can do to improve your eyesight but most will never try or their efforts might be ‘thwarted’ because they already use glasses so their focus adjusts to them thereby masking any improvements of focus or acuity.

Last edited:

Blue Water

Its interesting that in Chinese medicine eye health and vision are related to liver health, and Peat is big on the liver
Bumping this thread because I did hijama (form of bloodletting) and the area over my liver was the darkest blood and bruising. I noticed that in the first couple weeks after my eyesight was amazing. Now after a month or so it's back to normal unfortunately.

Beastmode

has ray peat ever mentioned this
Peat has mentioned that elevation makes a noticeable difference after a few weeks.

If one can't go to higher elevation, I imagine getting CO2 levels up can help in a similar fashion. (bag breathing, CO2 bath, acetazolamide)

I know of some people who simply got their blood sugar balanced throughout the day and say it's made a significant difference.

Drareg

TUDCA has numerous studies showing improvement in visual issues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals