How to improve dairy tolerance?

Violet

I've always been a big dairy fan, but obviously since going Peat (three months ago) I've really stepped it up. However, I have a lot of digestive issues and it's become pretty apparent that dairy does my bloating no favours... Right now I'm so bloated that it's hard to breathe :|

I keep reading that it's possible to improvement tolerance to dairy. Danny Roddy suggests just eating it as much as possible but it's still bloating me. Have also been doing the milk with sugar, and that's not helping either.

Just wondering if anyone has actually improved tolerance to dairy with this woe?

jaguar43

Possibly low thyroid.

J

j.

Violet said:
Just wondering if anyone has actually improved tolerance to dairy with this woe?
I have a thought. Find the milk that gives you the least trouble. Freeze it like ice cubes. Increase the amount of milk cubes you consume gradually, slowly enough to not have digestive discomfort.

HDD

I get relief from gas/bloating by eating raw carrots.

Can you eat cheese? Greek yogurt?

I only tolerate milk in smaller amounts. Probably less than a cup at a time.

OP
Violet

Violet

j. said:
My sensitivity to milk diminished greatly with pregnenolone.

Interesting...

Thanks for the tip with the milk, but I dont think that would help. I've been drinking milk my whole life, so I dont think it's a matter of adaptation...

OP
Violet

Violet

Haagendazendiane said:

Cheese bloats me too :( Dont do yogurt.

To be fair, most things bloat me, but since starting this woe my tummy is never flat. Fruit is probably a culprit too...

J

j.

Violet said:
Thanks for the tip with the milk, but I dont think that would help. I've been drinking milk my whole life, so I dont think it's a matter of adaptation...
Probably low thyroid. How long have you been supplementing? I still can't drink UHT milk, which I drank all my life before being hypothyroid. With pregnenolone I can consume enough milk combined with greek yogurt and cheese to have a good intake of dairy. I haven't tried thyroid yet, which probably will solve the UHT milk sensitivity, but I probably will at some point, after I incorporate some other parts of Peat's advice.

OP
Violet

Violet

j. said:
Violet said:
Probably low thyroid. How long have you been supplementing? I still can't drink UHT milk, which I drank all my life before being hypothyroid. With pregnenolone I can consume enough milk combined with greek yogurt and cheese to have a good intake of dairy. I haven't tried thyroid yet, which probably will solve the UHT milk sensitivity, but I probably will at some point, after I incorporate some other parts of Peat's advice.

Only four days :lol:

That's really interesting the pregnenolone improved your tolerance - do you know the science why?

J

j.

Violet said:
That's really interesting the pregnenolone improved your tolerance - do you know the science why?
Pregnenolone is a precursor to hormones, has anxiolytic effects, and also increases thyroid production. So it could be:

-better levels of testosterone (or of any other hormone for which pregnenolone is a precursor)
-better thyroid function
-anxiolyic effects

-a combination of any of the factors above.

Ha, with such a broad answer, I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong.

Ari

When I transitioned from the other diets I tried in the past to a diet with dairy, I noticed that it was giving me the same problems as you describe, and also slight breakouts on my arms and on the sides of my face.

What made me tolerate dairy again was a few days at the beach. I noticed that after the beach I could eat all the dairy I wanted with no side effects.

I'm not sure how to translate that into something that you could replicate if you aren't near the beach... off the top of my head going to the beach could deliver vitamin d, red light, magnesium, salt... I'm not sure what else the body can pick up from a day at the beach... I think vitamin D or the suns light might be the major factor though.

OP
Violet

Violet

Ari said:
When I transitioned from the other diets I tried in the past to a diet with dairy, I noticed that it was giving me the same problems as you describe, and also slight breakouts on my arms and on the sides of my face.

What made me tolerate dairy again was a few days at the beach. I noticed that after the beach I could eat all the dairy I wanted with no side effects.

I'm not sure how to translate that into something that you could replicate if you aren't near the beach... off the top of my head going to the beach could deliver vitamin d, red light, magnesium, salt... I'm not sure what else the body can pick up from a day at the beach... I think vitamin D or the suns light might be the major factor though.

That's one of the most interesting things I've read in ages! Wow. I wonder if that's why everything is easier to cope with when you go on a sun holiday... :)

OP
Violet

Violet

j. said:
Violet said:
Pregnenolone is a precursor to hormones, has anxiolytic effects, and also increases thyroid production. So it could be:

-better levels of testosterone (or of any other hormone for which pregnenolone is a precursor)
-better thyroid function
-anxiolyic effects

-a combination of any of the factors above.

Ha, with such a broad answer, I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong

Lol.

Thanks for the info!

gretchen

Ari said:

yes so interesting.

Dutchie

Vit.D is huge factor in calcium metabolism so that explains the beach and tolerance of dairy,but i do wonder if theres something else in sunligth bc i dont seem to have the same effect in darker damp months when supple+enting,or maybe its not high enough.

J

j.

Dutchie said:
Vit.D is huge factor in calcium metabolism so that explains the beach and tolerance of dairy,but i do wonder if theres something else in sunligth bc i dont seem to have the same effect in darker damp months when supple+enting,or maybe its not high enough.

I'm pretty sure there are other things produced by sunlight. I recall Dr. Holick, a vitamin D researcher, mention that.

Swandattur

Haagendazendiane said:

I wonder if the relief from bloating could have anything to do with the carrot getting rid of nitric oxide. I read yesterday that Peat says cascara and possibly carrot gets rid of NO. Someone on the forum had a quote to that effect.

4peatssake

Swandattur said:
Haagendazendiane said:

I wonder if the relief from bloating could have anything to do with the carrot getting rid of nitric oxide. I read yesterday that Peat says cascara and possibly carrot gets rid of NO. Someone on the forum had a quote to that effect.
I think this is the quote you were looking for Swandattur. jyb posted it in the Ray Peat Email Depository.

jyb said:
Trying to understand why I got some positive effects from cascara, a lot more than carrot or many other pro-thyroid suggestions:

I think cascara's most important effect is the reduction of the
pro-inflammatory nitric oxide, which poisons mitochondrial energy
production. Raw carrot or bamboo shoots can sometimes have a similar
effect by reducing NO synthesis.

It doesn't entirely answer my question, because I don't see why other pro-thyroid measures wouldn't have reduced NO as well. I eat very digestible foods and not expecting endotoxin to be present in excess, and since NO seems to be caused by endotoxin, I don't know where NO comes from and why cascara specifically was efficient.