How To Get Protein Without Milk?

Francisco

How would I get adequate protein (80-120g) per day without milk. I would say red meat, like lean beef, but then there are the issues with tryptophan, iron, phosphate, etc. Are these such a big concern or should I not be as worried about that?

olive

Sweet potato, white fish, shellfish, occasional grass fed red meat, bi-weekly liver.

Waremu

How would I get adequate protein (80-120g) per day without milk. I would say red meat, like lean beef, but then there are the issues with tryptophan, iron, phosphate, etc. Are these such a big concern or should I not be as worried about that?

As the other commenter mentioned, white fish and sweet potatoes seem to be the way to go if you're concerned about those things while ditching milk. If you eat lower phosphorus meats like white fish, then a the favorable calcium to phosphorus ratio of sweet potatoes and high calcium foods like Bok Choy and whole oranges will allow you to get enough calcium and a more ideal calcium to phos. ratio. But if you have orange juice over oranges it would be harder to, since it appears that it is likely that a good amount of the calcium in oranges is in the white part under the peel (the white stuff called the "pith."), which is consumed when an orange is consumed whole and raw. I'm currently looking for information as to whether white and purple sweet potatoes are also high in beta carotene or not. Information thus far seems rather conflicting. Some sources say yay, some say nay. But I would imagine perhaps the purple ones will have less than the orange ones. So assuming this may be the case, if it is, purple or white sweet potatoes may be better than orange ones if you are a bit concerned about that. Boiling them and skinning them cuts out a large portion of that as well. Adding in an oyster for zinc with white fish is a good way to go as well. This is essentially my diet, as I am currently running an experiment.

Update: just heard back from the brand or supplier of Stokes sweet potatoes and they confirmed, it is low in beta carotene. I originally suspected this as their nutritional label on their package doesn't list Vitamin A, and usually most producer companies would as a marketing or selling point that it is ''rich in Vitamin A", so it made me think it was not listed because the amount was so low. Their purple sweet potatoes only have 2% the RDA of "Vitamin A" type beta-carotene per cooked 4 0z serving. So that's only 48.5 IU of beta-carotene. Way lower than even orange juice. I would imagine it is similar with other brands of purple sweet potato. This is great to know.

Last edited:

olive

Update: just heard back from the brand or supplier of Stokes sweet potatoes and they confirmed, it is low in beta carotene. I originally suspected this as their nutritional label on their package doesn't list Vitamin A, and usually most producer companies would as a marketing or selling point that it is ''rich in Vitamin A", so it made me think it was not listed because the amount was so low. Their purple sweet potatoes only have 2% the RDA of "Vitamin A" type beta-carotene per cooked 4 0z serving. So that's only 48.5 IU of beta-carotene. Way lower than even orange juice. I would imagine it is similar with other brands of purple sweet potato. This is great to know.
Amazing news. Thank you for sharing. I’ve been eating a few kg of these potatoes daily for months. I suspected low beta-carotene levels but it’s good to have re-assurance.

jet9

Amazing news. Thank you for sharing. I’ve been eating a few kg of these potatoes daily for months. I suspected low beta-carotene levels but it’s good to have re-assurance.
Maybe i am mistaken, but were not you eating purple skin light flesh sweet potatoes ? (often they called Korean or Japanese)
Stokes sweet potatoes are dark skin purple flesh (similar to Okinawian which are light skin purple flesh).

olive

Maybe i am mistaken, but were not you eating purple skin light flesh sweet potatoes ? (often they called Korean or Japanese)
Stokes sweet potatoes are dark skin purple flesh (similar to Okinawian which are light skin purple flesh).
My bad, I just saw purple and assumed - didn’t realise there were other kinds. I buy the purple skin white flesh kind, listed as Japanese as you mentioned. I assume these are also low in carotene however due to the lack of colour.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
As the other commenter mentioned, white fish and sweet potatoes seem to be the way to go if you're concerned about those things while ditching milk. If you eat lower phosphorus meats like white fish, then a the favorable calcium to phosphorus ratio of sweet potatoes and high calcium foods like Bok Choy and whole oranges will allow you to get enough calcium and a more ideal calcium to phos. ratio. But if you have orange juice over oranges it would be harder to, since it appears that it is likely that a good amount of the calcium in oranges is in the white part under the peel (the white stuff called the "pith."), which is consumed when an orange is consumed whole and raw. I'm currently looking for information as to whether white and purple sweet potatoes are also high in beta carotene or not. Information thus far seems rather conflicting. Some sources say yay, some say nay. But I would imagine perhaps the purple ones will have less than the orange ones. So assuming this may be the case, if it is, purple or white sweet potatoes may be better than orange ones if you are a bit concerned about that. Boiling them and skinning them cuts out a large portion of that as well. Adding in an oyster for zinc with white fish is a good way to go as well. This is essentially my diet, as I am currently running an experiment.

Are you the guy who got absolutely annihilated by Hydrogen water?!

nbznj

Egg whites by the dozen, beef liver, cod liver, gelatin, trace proteins in rice and potatoes

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals