How To Get Enough Manganese And Folates?

Discussion in 'Minerals' started by Parsifal, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Parsifal

Parsifal Member

Hey guys,

My diet is quite good according to Cronometer but I'm always efficient in these nutrients, despite eating a lot of fruits regarding the folates.

I wondered if you knew a good and clean way to get enough of these nutrients? Because I don't see how for now.

2. nograde

nograde Member

liver, mussels for an extra manganese boost.

3. Agent207

Agent207 Member

Aren´t mussels a bit high in iron at 7.70mg /100gr-68kcal?

4. tara

tara Member

Good question.
    I just used nutrition data to search for veges, fruit, meat with manganese and folate. Of their list, i eat the following from time to time, and don't know if I get enough:
    Spinach, leeks, mushrooms, kale, capsicum, sweet potato, garlic, beet greens.
    Pineapple, raspberries
    Lambs fry

5. mt_dreams

mt_dreams Member

i get my manganese from fruits like cherimoya, watermelon, cherries, apples, and from maple syrup which about 25% a tablespoon.

For folate I use chicken liver, oj, & beet juice

6. OP
    Parsifal

Parsifal Member

Thanks ;).

7. schultz

schultz Member

Folate:::
    Orange Juice, Papaya, Beef Liver. Pastured eggs are supposed to have more folate, but it obviously depends on the diet of the chicken.

RDA % of Manganese in 100 Calories of...
    Wild blueberries: 288%
    Pineapple Juice: 71%
    Maple Syrup: 50%
    White Rice: 16%
    Potato: 9%

Coffee has manganese. I get 40% manganese from coffee. Most fruits have 5-10% a serving.

8. jellog

jellog Member

Tea is often pretty high in manganese:
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-muc ... -too-much/

Matcha tea is another one that's high in this element. I've seen studies where green tea consumption lowers estrogen.

Although, I suppose matcha also has anti-folate properties, aluminum / fluoride could be a concern, and hibiscus might be high in iron. You could always pop a multi-vitamin.

:raypeatcoffee

9. JackHanma

JackHanma Member

Ginger powder, anti-serotonin, boosts metabolism and one of the best sources of manganese:

Spices, ginger, ground Nutrition Facts & Calories

5 grams has 70%

Ginger - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

"Ginger, via its actions as a serotonin receptor antagonist, can increase insulin release from INS-1 cells, a research cell line for pancreatic beta-cells.[13]

Ginger has actions as a serotonin receptor antagonist, of which many are located in the intestines. These effects seem to be mediated through gingerols and their metabolites.[50]

Oral treatment of ginger (as juice) has been shown in rats to negate the hyperglycemia induced by serotonin;[14] this hyperglycemia normally occurs as serotonin suppresses insulin secretion, and inhibiting this reaction causes a relative reduction in blood glucose."