How to fix gum disease for <$100

Mossy

Enamel comes back within days, dentin doesn't. The sensitivity I experienced when originally going over certain teeth 3-4 times with a harder press on an '8' (very high) setting was completely gone within 1 day.

The feeling of not having any crud on a tooth is mentally alleviating.
How are you certain that you're only affecting the top (enamel) layer and not dentin?

I think that would be great to always have smooth and clean teeth.

Whichway?

Enamel comes back within days, dentin doesn't. The sensitivity I experienced when originally going over certain teeth 3-4 times with a harder press on an '8' (very high) setting was completely gone within 1 day.

The feeling of not having any crud on a tooth is mentally alleviating.
A quick google search turns up statements which are pretty clear that adult enamel does not regrow.

OP
Twohandsondeck
How are you certain that you're only affecting the top (enamel) layer and not dentin?

I think that would be great to always have smooth and clean teeth.
I don't have a good answer other than a supreme confidence that my teeth have not yet been permanently damaged by a pressure washer and metal scrape. A great pain becomes readily apparent when pressing against the tooth with excessive force. Otherwise, a standardized level of force will only remove buildup but not hurt cause pain.
A quick google search turns up statements which are pretty clear that adult enamel does not regrow.
I guess bone can't be built or regenerate then. I guess dentinal fluid has no use for protecting/restoring the tooth. I guess the body is only smart enough to move calcium to and from the kidneys, gall bladder, blood vessels - everywhere we can't see it happen - but not to the top of a tooth as the hardest/most fortified substance in our body. I guess that I can spit up hardened mucus but not make anything else out of those materials.

?‍♂️

Mossy

I don't have a good answer other than a supreme confidence that my teeth have not yet been permanently damaged by a pressure washer and metal scrape. A great pain becomes readily apparent when pressing against the tooth with excessive force. Otherwise, a standardized level of force will only remove buildup but not hurt cause pain.
OK, that is interesting. So you use the absence of pain as a measure of proper technique.

OP
Twohandsondeck
OK, that is interesting. So you use the absence of pain as a measure of proper technique.
No. I use my eyes to see and my tongue to feel as evidence (several hours later) of what has or hasn't been done.

Dutch Thomson

Hey guys,
My teeth today feel the best they've ever felt, even considering the days that I've just left the dental hygienist, so I did a quick write-up of some recent information I came across + a practice I employed which gave great results.

#############

---> How to fix gum disease for less than $100 <---

THINGS NEEDED:

1. Toothbrush
  2. Toothpaste, tooth powder, or mouth-safe bar soap (like Dr. Bronner's)
  3. Floss
  4. Supplemental iodine
  5. Saltwater solution (64 ounces)
  6. Water flosser (like a Waterpik)
*Optional: Q-tips as an alternative to a toothbrush for iodine application

1. Brush teeth like normal
  2. Floss teeth like normal
  3. Apply iodine to brush or Q-tip
  4. Spread iodine liberally all over gumline and in between teeth until well-covered
  5. Use water flosser with saltwater solution to diligently pressure wash the collar of each tooth

Note: the saltwater solution is 14 teaspoons of salt mixed into 64 ounces of water.

>90% of the American population has gum disease. (1)

>Gum disease is marked by sensitive gums, bleeding gums, soft gums, and essentially creates a 'loose seal' around the tooth which allows unwanted bacteria to sit in the cleft where the gumline meets with the tooth.

>The gumline is 3mm deep, however, swishing water and normal brushing only penetrate 0.5mm, thus the necessity of a water flosser to reach the entire 3mm.

>Supplemental iodine and saltwater are both selectively antibacterial to remove the "moving organisms" (as David Kennedy refers to them) which are the root issue of the gum disease problem.

+Also, iodine (not iodide) is the solution to internal removal of stored fluoride. They fit into the same spaces in the body. When iodine comes to a place where fluoride is, the iodine will deject the fluoride.

+As an honorary mention, David Kennedy recommends a Rotadent for those who have a large amount of tartar/calculus (hardened plaque) buildup. A Rotadent is basically a professional-grade electric toothbrush.

>David Kennedy, DDS addressing gum disease, fluoride, mercury, implants... Why these topics are all bad news and ways to resolve their damage (1hr, 58m):
(1)

+I'll add that although Kennedy repeatedly mentions the (basically impossible to get) compound of Emeramide being a miracle cure-all for mercury removal, there are other compounds which remove mercury well, in the efficacy order of: broken cell wall chlorella, modified citrus pectin, and activated charcoal.

A high quality chlorella I've had a great experience with:
Amazon product ASIN B00JBCGE8U
Modified citrus pectin:
Amazon product ASIN B000H8BL9Y
>A video showing how a saltwater stream shrinks an amoeba on a tooth under a microscope (2m 8s):

>A very quick (about 100 pages) & useful guide to holistic tooth care by Nadine Artemis:
Holistic Dental Care

Thanks for the info. I'll try it. btw, I'm assuming you don't immediately waterpik/wash off the iodine immediately after you've applied it. Correct?

OP
Twohandsondeck
Thanks for the info. I'll try it. btw, I'm assuming you don't immediately waterpik/wash off the iodine immediately after you've applied it. Correct?
I let it sit for about 2 minutes before using the waterpik. I don't think it's an exact science lol

OP
Twohandsondeck
Lately I've been adding roughly 3/4 teaspoon of green clay and 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar to my mouth while brushing with a toothbrush scrubbed in a vegetable-based bar soap. Nice effect. The clay gives a polishing effect and there's not enough apple cider vinegar to leave a squeaky sheen on the teeth. The clay and the vinegar mix together for a pleasant effect.

Dutch Thomson

Lately I've been adding roughly 3/4 teaspoon of green clay and 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar to my mouth while brushing with a toothbrush scrubbed in a vegetable-based bar soap. Nice effect. The clay gives a polishing effect and there's not enough apple cider vinegar to leave a squeaky sheen on the teeth. The clay and the vinegar mix together for a pleasant effect.
What bar soap are you using?

OP
Twohandsondeck
Update: I've stopped using bar soaps (made of saponified coconut, palm, olive, etc) as a toothpaste almost entirely.

Perhaps it's okay to do use them once or twice a week, but their daily use started to give me both gum and tooth sensitivity, as if my gumline were being made paper thin.

The soap does effectively work as a tooth polish, however I think that either a) the removal of fat from or b) the routine destruction of certain (beneficial) mouth bacteria from the gumline leads to the problems mentioned above.

Instead, I just use a montmorillonite or illite clay once daily as the toothpaste, floss, and then water floss with some salt added to the mixture. The problems of tooth sensitivity resolved quickly.

I was using the soap before as a means of removing metals that were being secreted by the gums - which it probably does - but the side effect of stripping the mouth of fat is problematic.

Using clay theoretically bonds with the metals and doesn't take fat with it.

Adding apple cider vinegar to the clay will add to the polish effect, but I'm also hesitant to do this everyday. At the highest frequency, I'm intending to use that combo once every 4-7 days.

RealNeat

Congrats on your excellent dental health! All my chomps are capped, with 9 root canals and 2 extractions. Not fun! I need to do a little research on clove oil but I'm intrigued given your apparent success with it.

Re: your non-flossing, Mark Manhart DDS, founder of the Calcium Therapy Institute, says basically that flossing promotes infection. He has a theory that most dental decay is due to an infection between the front two teeth (diastema).

"Dr. Mark Manhart: Four conditions cause perio disease: missing teeth (not restored), traumatic bite of the teeth, lifestyle stress, and bad bacteria, most directly related to diastemic (deviations) infection in the bone between #8+9 teeth. The last is excessively common and may be the only realistic bacterial infection of the oral cavity. It is also the most unappreciated diseased condition and bacterial cause of complete dental breakdown."

Most cases probably involve all four conditions.

But super interesting comment about the diastema (between front two teeth) being the only realistic spot for infection!

The Calcium Method of Osseo-Endo-Cystic Therapy and the “Diastema Dilemma” Mark J. Manhart DDS, December 2010

View attachment 22650

View attachment 22651

The treatment: "Upon utilizing varied formulae of weekly or monthly applications of timed-release calcium/zinc/ester compounds directly to the infected tissues, without local anesthesia, rapid healing is stimulated"

Also, interesting comparison to put the severity of the infection in a different light: "The size, locale and occurrence of these conditions seem incidental until it is quite late in its progression and clear we are dealing with a large, non-vital maxillary central incisor and a cyst the size of a small almond which has developed in the maxilla for 20 years or more. Were this sort of infection located on radius of the forearm, slowly enlarging, draining out of the arm and painless for 10 weeks, someone people would be rather upset about it. Few would tolerate it."

I treat myself at home with the calcium-zinc "strips" -- which one can easily mistake for a tab of acid -- and soak some of the calcium "chips" in a bottle of water for rinsing my mouth.

It's pretty remarkable how effective it is for toothaches and referred pain headaches from irritated roots.

I think zinc is the big player in the duo. Just a hunch. He claims it is a proprietary formula.

~~~

You're spot on avoiding pastes, they are actually worse than useless:

"Raluca Schachter: Why aren’t toothpaste and floss necessary?
Dr. Mark Manhart: Pastes leave sweet, junky residue that turns quickly to acid. Floss spreads infection, damages the delicate gums, constantly breaks the contacts between teeth which they do not like. No one needs it. On rare occasions, floss or a toothpick may be needed, but be careful. These drive patients into dental offices. Better that we do things that last longer and keep you healthy and out of our offices."
I looked into the patents for these products months ago, and though the concept is sound and even Ray has said some favorable things of calcium hydroxide materials, the materials are far from pure.

I found food colorings and titanium dioxide for example and there are only a few manufactures of these materials. Dr. Manhart claims it's more than just calcium hydroxide in his book and he's right, but I think a calcium hydroxide and zinc paste can achieve much of the same benefits with less fillers and fragrances (my order smelled of some synthetic fragrance)

My friend who is trying it regularly gets GI distress form the chips, possibly from swallowing it and either the fillers or the calcium hydroxide it's self causing irritation.

Is it less toxic than conventional dentistry materials? I guess but these are also conventional materials, which means inactive ingredients which are in actuality "active"

In certain dental situations I'm sure it'd be worth it, but I'm not shire how much I'd lean on it for preventative measures. I'll try and find the patented materials he uses for his products again.

The names of the materials used, their ingredients and patents can be found using this paper.

If we as consumers demand cleaner ingredients, Dr. Manhart will likely be open to change, they make some without colorings apparently. I've tried emailing but haven't had luck connecting.

RealNeat

I have to somewhat rescind this thread! The waterpik is still very useful but regardless of what solution I was packing into that thing (lemon juice, salt, apple cider vinegar, iodine, etc), it wasn't thoroughly removing the hardened plaque buildup on the teeth the same way that it's removed at a hygienist's visit. Although it was helpful and prevented me from suffering any tooth pain with occasional use, I could still feel that plaque coating on some of my teeth, especially the back ones on the lower mandible.

Recently I came across this absolute madlad who put up the following video showing that you can buy a professional-grade hygiene tool on eBay for $150:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNIIBAg33qk

I took his advice and ordered one with the link:

Dude! It's really great. Works like a charm. As he recommends in the video, it would be a good idea to watch a couple tutorial videos before you jump in because it's pretty easy to take the enamel off of the teeth without paying attention. I did it initially and pineapples didn't agree with me for 48 hours.

I can also attest to the mineral water being the preferred source of water to prevent mouth dryness. Obviously any water will do the job of removing the plaque, but distilled water left my mouth intensely dry where mineral water didn't.

I guarantee, and i dont say that often, that these Amazon product ASIN B00F22IZY4View: https://www.amazon.com/Sewak-Al-Falah-Traditional-Natural-Toothbrush/dp/B00F22IZY4/ref=asc_df_B00F22IZY4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312050278235&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9481195618726410322&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9020258&hvtargid=pla-569965501864&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=61714659723&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312050278235&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9481195618726410322&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9020258&hvtargid=pla-569965501864
will do the same thing in a safer, simpler fashion. You could even soak them in whatever materials you wanted before removing plaque and *some* tartar. Traditionally they are soaked in rosewater. There is a learning curve to using them but its almost instinctual as I'm sure its ingrained into us in some fashion. Just peel the bark chew a bit to expose the bristles and scrub away.

What Id really like to find is an ultrasonic tartar removing pick thats safe, when teeth are crooked, even a little bit, they become the worst spots for buildup. When the tartar is removed, gently, as Manhart emphasizes, great care must be taken to prevent buildup again or else regular cleanings become necessary, which if your dentist is conventional, means exposure to mercury in the air.

Last edited:

A-Tim

My father lost all his teeth due to peridontal disease at 40, my mom who was a freakin NURSE for oral surgeons lost all of hers at 50. At 67 I still confound my dentist and hygienist because I refuse commercial toothpaste and do not floss.
Perfect checkup, have all my teeth.
Baking soda brushing morning and night with 2drops of THERAPEAUTIC GRADE cloves oil. Unless they let you see the test results, its prob not therapeutic essential oil. $16 from YoungLiving lasts for months. Most potent antioxident on planet earth ORAC scale off the charts compared to anything else, and all those invasive tools and chemicals
YoungLiving has a separate site for Australian purchases, and the clove essential oil is branded slightly differently, although it does state it is therapeautic grade (the USA site says premium as far as I could tell).

The USA site says it can be used internally, i.e. diluted with a carrier oil. The Australian site says external use only. Do you know if these are the same product, and the description varies for regulatory reasons, or is it actually a different product? Thanks!

akgrrrl

YoungLiving has a separate site for Australian purchases, and the clove essential oil is branded slightly differently, although it does state it is therapeautic grade (the USA site says premium as far as I could tell).

The USA site says it can be used internally, i.e. diluted with a carrier oil. The Australian site says external use only. Do you know if these are the same product, and the description varies for regulatory reasons, or is it actually a different product? Thanks!

It is the same product. We could always have ingested all the correctly distilled plant esters. Dilution is good if on skin because it is so hot and potent. It is used in lipgloss "plumping" formulas for use on girl's lips to make them swell up. But after fighting the FDA in the US for 30yrs just to get essential oils back on the market, Gary Young's attorneys arrived at the compromise of "vitality" along with the usual wiggle words, may promote xyz, helps support xyz, enhances feelings of xyz, esp in the internal/food use category. Haidut just posted a great study on how lipofuscin creating brown spots on older humans is not the "oh its just a sign of aging" --- where the antidote to cleanse ourselves internally could be as simple as aspirin and clove oil for 8weeks.
Clove oil is marvelous, cheap, and delicious! I am hooked on pure clove oil on a brushpic in between my teeth, or 2 drops in a cup of hot tea, or swished in my mouth with water after tongue scraper.
Go for it.
One thing to remember about any hot "oil" or ester like clove or oregano---oil cuts oil. So if you cut a jalapeno up on your cutting board then rinse your hands off in the sink---then scratch some skin in a tender place and owwww! Apply coconut oil or butter, and wipe off firmly.

A-Tim

It is the same product. We could always have ingested all the correctly distilled plant esters. Dilution is good if on skin because it is so hot and potent. It is used in lipgloss "plumping" formulas for use on girl's lips to make them swell up. But after fighting the FDA in the US for 30yrs just to get essential oils back on the market, Gary Young's attorneys arrived at the compromise of "vitality" along with the usual wiggle words, may promote xyz, helps support xyz, enhances feelings of xyz, esp in the internal/food use category. Haidut just posted a great study on how lipofuscin creating brown spots on older humans is not the "oh its just a sign of aging" --- where the antidote to cleanse ourselves internally could be as simple as aspirin and clove oil for 8weeks.
Clove oil is marvelous, cheap, and delicious! I am hooked on pure clove oil on a brushpic in between my teeth, or 2 drops in a cup of hot tea, or swished in my mouth with water after tongue scraper.
Go for it.
One thing to remember about any hot "oil" or ester like clove or oregano---oil cuts oil. So if you cut a jalapeno up on your cutting board then rinse your hands off in the sink---then scratch some skin in a tender place and owwww! Apply coconut oil or butter, and wipe off firmly.
Thanks, that's very helpful!

A couple months ago I visited the dentist and she told me to brush a particular way. I did as she suggested and the next day I had damaged the front of the gum at one of my teeth. I immediately stopped her method and haven't had problems with other teeth since.

It doesn't seem to be healing, so I thought I'd try a drop of two of clove oil diluted in coconut oil, then swish it around for 10-20 minutes. Will report back how it goes in a month or two.

I noticed Haidut's post about clove oil and lipofuscin. Yet another reason to give it a crack.

Never used a brushpick before. I'll have to look into it.

akgrrrl

Thanks, that's very helpful!

A couple months ago I visited the dentist and she told me to brush a particular way. I did as she suggested and the next day I had damaged the front of the gum at one of my teeth. I immediately stopped her method and haven't had problems with other teeth since.

It doesn't seem to be healing, so I thought I'd try a drop of two of clove oil diluted in coconut oil, then swish it around for 10-20 minutes. Will report back how it goes in a month or two.

I noticed Haidut's post about clove oil and lipofuscin. Yet another reason to give it a crack.

Never used a brushpick before. I'll have to look into it.
Good I am so glad you found that helpful.
Doctor's Best brand brushpicks my fave.
Cant beat a drop of clove on your toothbrush diluted by your baking soda or toothpaste

Back
Top Bottom