How to fix extremely bad / slow digestion?

golder

I've had a history of low stomach acid for at least 25 years. I am much improved since taking high dose thiamine. I am taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl/day now and can digest meat again. You might consider learning more about thiamine supplementation if you are having digestive issues.
This is very interesting. Do you take 500mg four times throughout the day? 1g morning and 1g evening? Is there anything to be cautious of when dosing so high? Is it wise to take anything else alongside the B1 i case it gets depleted? Thanks!

mostlylurking

This is very interesting. Do you take 500mg four times throughout the day? 1g morning and 1g evening? Is there anything to be cautious of when dosing so high? Is it wise to take anything else alongside the B1 i case it gets depleted? Thanks!
I take 1 gram of thiamine hcl in the morning and one gram in the afternoon, at 3:00pm. If you take it later in the day it can interfere with your sleep, probably by lowering your blood sugar. I need this much; you may not.

Thiamine hcl has a low absorption rate in the gut, which is why higher doses are needed. TTFD thiamine, a synthetic, is taken in much lower doses but also causes more side effects. It gave me a headache that lasted 36 hours so I stuck with thiamine hcl.

I have found information that suggests also supplementing with a good B-complex vitamin, some magnesium, and some potassium (I use orange juice) when taking high dose thiamine. Thiamine hcl is generally considered as safe. It is important to do your own research.

more info here: HDT Therapy

mostlylurking

How long til you felt improvement ?
You don’t take other stuff to help digestion?

were you really deficient in it and what foods are high in it ?
I took about 300 mg of thiamine hcl to test myself. I took my temperature beforehand. I had been experiencing severe hypothyroid symptoms for weeks (I've taken prescription natural desiccated thyroid for many years) and could not get my temperature above 97.8 and had severe inflammatory pain. However, my thyroid bloodwork showed that my free T3 was extremely high, way out of range. Within about 45 minutes of taking the 300mg of thiamine hcl, my temperature went up to 98.6 degrees and all my pain symptoms disappeared.

I've worked my way up to my high dose of 2 grams/day over several weeks. First a dose would give me relief but soon I realized I needed more. I found Dr. Costantini's site HDT Therapy and learned that my dose could be as high as 2 grams/day so I increased it to that. I did try to go a little higher (2.5 grams) but I got shooting electrical zapping pains in my thighs, a sign you're taking too much, so I lowered my dose back to 2 grams.

I had been taking cascara sagrada daily for six years; I don't need to take it anymore. I do eat either cooked mushrooms or carrot salad daily still.

I had been supplementing with thiamine hcl (about 100mg, 2Xday) for six years. I got slammed by Bactrim antibiotic last summer which blocked my thiamine usage. See this article: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

I have a very long history (diagnosed 1994) of leaky gut, multiple food sensitivities, SIBO, etc. I am a whole lot better now. I've been taking the 2 grams of thiamine hcl since 2/1/2021. I've read (I think on Dr. Costantini's site) that many people who have this kind of medical history wind up with Parkinson's Disease. There is a strong correlation.

Last edited:
OP
M

Motif

I took about 300 mg of thiamine hcl to test myself. I took my temperature beforehand. I had been experiencing severe hypothyroid symptoms for weeks (I've taken prescription natural desiccated thyroid for many years) and could not get my temperature above 97.8 and had severe inflammatory pain. However, my thyroid bloodwork showed that my free T3 was extremely high, way out of range. Within about 45 minutes of taking the 300mg of thiamine hcl, my temperature went up to 98.6 degrees and all my pain symptoms disappeared.

I've worked my way up to my high dose of 2 grams/day over several weeks. First a dose would give me relief but soon I realized I needed more. I found Dr. Costantini's site HDT Therapy and learned that my dose could be as high as 2 grams/day so I increased it to that. I did try to go a little higher (2.5 grams) but I got shooting electrical zapping pains in my thighs, a sign you're taking too much, so I lowered my dose back to 2 grams.

I had been taking cascara sagrada daily for six years; I don't need to take it anymore. I do eat either cooked mushrooms or carrot salad daily still.

I had been supplementing with thiamine hcl (about 100mg, 2Xday) for six years. I got slammed by Bactrim antibiotic last summer which blocked my thiamine usage. See this article: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

I have a very long history (diagnosed 1994) of leaky gut, multiple food sensitivities, SIBO, etc. I am a whole lot better now. I've been taking the 2 grams of thiamine hcl since 2/1/2021. I've read (I think on Dr. Costantini's site) that many people who have this kind of medical history wind up with Parkinson's Disease. There is a strong correlation.

could I do a blood test before taking it to see if I need it?

so thiamine hcl is something else than simply b1?
How long would it take to feel a difference in digestion from taking it ?

would this make hcl betaine needless to take?

mostlylurking

could I do a blood test before taking it to see if I need it?

so thiamine hcl is something else than simply b1?
How long would it take to feel a difference in digestion from taking it ?

would this make hcl betaine needless to take?
Yes there are blood tests. Here's a video that goes over the blood test that is most reliable:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG3m3tbEGU0

Thiamine hcl is B1.

I explained what it did for me within the first 45 minutes. Everybody's different. It took me about 10 weeks to work up to my maintenance dose. After two days on that dose I could tell a major difference in my digestion.

Yes. it would make the hcl betaine needless. I think. The thiamine restores your digestive tract function.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi0O_fzczYA

Educate yourself about thiamine. It is really important. It will actually restore your gut function.

OP
M

Motif

Might give tudca a go, but somehow I feel this won’t have a longterm effect

drop67

I have this since my early childhood.
very high doses of hcl betaine help.
Ox bile too.
Encymes high dosed too a little.

I never took that stuff for a longer time.
Maybe the digestion issues cause my low copper and zinc?

I got Gilbert syndrome too btw.

is there another way than taking 10 pills to each meal ?

Edit: @ursidae how could histidine help with this? I got some unopened bottle here. How should this be taken?

i read different stuff about it. Some say to avoid it with histamine issues other say it helps histamine issues.

@redsun your take on histidine ?
slow digestion could be due to gastro paresis so maybe improving nerve health could work, id say take b1 daily

Vins7

D
Yes there are blood tests. Here's a video that goes over the blood test that is most reliable:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG3m3tbEGU0

Thiamine hcl is B1.

I explained what it did for me within the first 45 minutes. Everybody's different. It took me about 10 weeks to work up to my maintenance dose. After two days on that dose I could tell a major difference in my digestion.

Yes. it would make the hcl betaine needless. I think. The thiamine restores your digestive tract function.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi0O_fzczYA

Educate yourself about thiamine. It is really important. It will actually restore your gut function.

Did you do some labs for testing your levels before starting taking B1?

Vins7

You are better now but have you fixed totally your sibo, food sensitivities, gut issues just with thiamine hcl?

mostlylurking

You are better now but have you fixed totally your sibo, food sensitivities, gut issues just with thiamine hcl?
Mostly. I still must avoid nightshade plants (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers) because they cause me inflammation.

I also do things to keep estrogen low. I take a B-complex, magnesium, niacinamide, riboflavin, pregnenolone, progesterone, a little biotin. I drink orange juice and quite a bit of 1% organic milk. I avoid PUFA.

mostlylurking

D
Did you do some labs for testing your levels before starting taking B1?
No. I tested myself by taking some B1. I took my temp before and about 45 minutes after. It went up a full degree (to 98.6) and all my inflammation disappeared in 45 minutes. I took about 250-300mg of thiamine hcl for that test.

lilsticky

i always got rid of my stomach problems with oatmeal and bananas. maybe you should look into fat soluble forms of thiamine if hcl isnt enduring

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals