How to eat raw meat and not get sick

No_Energy

Toxoplasmosis, This is one of my concerns about Raw meat as well, the reason, among others, that has kept me from trying raw meat. (there is also Trichinella/Trichinosis, Taenia Solium/cysticercosis, etc .. and God knows what else in different kinds of raw meat..). And I don't see it as "slight change" either, it can actually be very dramatic. We all heard about toxoplasmosis in rats, how it goes and affects the brain and changes the animal's behavior. It is thought that it could cause the same/similar problems in humans. Have you heard of the "crazy cat lady syndrome"?, some food for thought, it is concerning indeed..

- "Even more alarming was a summary of thirty-eight studies, published in 2012, that found that individuals with schizophrenia were three times more likely than those without schizophrenia to have antibodies in their blood to the Toxoplasma protozoan, meaning their bodies developed an immune response to Toxo at some point. "

Until we learn more, and considering the already well known problems caused by the other parasites mentioned, I'm not eating raw meat.
What do you guys think?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Toxoplasmosis, This is one of my concerns about Raw meat as well, the reason, among others, that has kept me from trying raw meat. (there is also Trichinella/Trichinosis, Taenia Solium/cysticercosis, etc .. and God knows what else in different kinds of raw meat..). And I don't see it as "slight change" either, it can actually be very dramatic. We all heard about toxoplasmosis in rats, how it goes and affects the brain and changes the animal's behavior. It is thought that it could cause the same/similar problems in humans. Have you heard of the "crazy cat lady syndrome"?, some food for thought, it is concerning indeed..

- "Even more alarming was a summary of thirty-eight studies, published in 2012, that found that individuals with schizophrenia were three times more likely than those without schizophrenia to have antibodies in their blood to the Toxoplasma protozoan, meaning their bodies developed an immune response to Toxo at some point. "

Until we learn more, and considering the already well known problems caused by the other parasites mentioned, I'm not eating raw meat.
What do you guys think?
Holy fk. Apparently, raw or undercooked beef meat really is a major source of Toxoplasma infection. I thought only cats are spreaders.

Okay, I'm not taking the shot.

Many thanks for this post

Gânico

What do you guys think?
Many people have parasites although they never touched raw meat.

Cooked food fed pottenger's cats were infested with parasites and bacterial diseases such as periodontitis, while raw fed were disease free and seldom had parasites.

Think about it..

Yonebayashian

What do you guys think?

I can't really say if I have toxoplasmosis or not after eating copious amounts of raw meat but I'm interested in getting tested just to see. There's a whole philosophy of trusting in the wisdom of the body and whether or not it decides to take on parasites or not. I know for a fact that I've eaten high fish with tapeworms in it and I've never gotten tapeworms. A friend of mine got tapeworms and then ate raw meat until he stopped having tapeworms. This point is conjecture on my part but if it's supposed to be difficult for a man to digest raw meat then wouldn't it be even more difficult for a tapeworm to efficiently digest raw meat with it's much smaller digestive system? Raw meat probably is way more difficult to digest, after eating a small portion of it you feel immensely full, but again the widened nutrient availability makes it essential for proper health- especially for women who plan to undergo many pregnancies.

What I can say though is that the raw meat community is super schizo, but maybe that's just the type of personality willing to eat raw meat. The nutrition system concocted by Aajonus is a very schizo-y matrix system that gives on the illusion of perfectly understanding physiology and nutrition within the space of ~50 pages. Overall I felt more balanced and not schizo when I did a ray peat, primal, and circadian blend than when I did just primal or any specific one of those individually.

Gânico

Raw meat probably is way more difficult to digest, after eating a small portion of it you feel immensely full, but again the widened nutrient availability makes it essential for proper health- especially for women who plan to undergo many pregnancies.
Raw meat is way easier to digest, dude. You don't even need a study to know this, cooked meat sit like a rock in your stomach, while raw you may feel full (due to nutritional density), but you won't feel it in your stomach.

But, here ya go:

"In the human diet, protein sources are usually cooked before consumption. This heat treatment does have consequence on the digestibility and the subsequent intestinal fermentation of these foods. In this study, cooking treatments that mimic common cooking practices in industrial and domestic kitchens were applied to meats, insects and grain legumes."

"[..]ingredients, in the raw state and after cooking using several methods, were incubated with pepsin and pancreatin to assess their digestibility. The residues obtained after enzymatic digestion were incubated with a bacterial inoculum from porcine faeces to simulate the fermentation occurring in the large intestine."

"Beef muscle (Longissimus dorsi) and chicken breast (Pectoralis major) were chosen as animal protein and cut in small meat pieces of approximatively 60 g (6 × 3 × 2 cm). Some samples were directly frozen (-20 °C) to be used as raw meat and the rest were subjected to one of the following cooking methods:

(a) immersion of meat pieces placed in individual plastic bags (polyamide/polyethylene; 15 × 20 cm; 90 microns) in a water-bath at 70 °C or 85 °C for beef and chicken samples respectively (mean cooking time: 40 min);
(b) cooking in an oven at 175 °C with turning over every 2 min (mean cooking time: 17 and 39 min for beef and chicken samples respectively);
(c) frying on a pan without addition of fat with turning over every 2 min (mean cooking time: 7 and 15 min for beef and chicken samples respectively).

For all cooking methods, the meat temperature was monitored using a temperature probe (Testo 926, Lenzkirch, Germany) and the cooking was stopped when a core temperature of 70 °C or 85 °C was reached, for beef and chicken samples respectively according to the reference method of Boccard et al.[26]."

1608214880248.png

1608214887219.png

1608214895463.png

"[Despite] drawbacks of the in vitro enzymatic digestion protocol that was used, our results showed that, working with raw ingredients, meats were highly susceptible to pepsin and pancreatin hydrolysis, followed by insects and finally by grain legumes. As a consequence, for each g of ingredient consumed, the quantity of dietary components available as energy source for microbiota in the large intestine was negatively correlated (correlation coefficients of -0.81, -0.83, -0.71 between IVDMD and gas, SCFA, H2S productions respectively) to the digestibility in the upper GIT."

"As cooked meats were less digestible (P < 0.05), a higher amount of dietary components were available as energy source for microbiota during in vitro fermentation for each g of ingredient ingested. This was reflected by the higher productions (P < 0.001) of all fermentation products (total gas (A), SCFA, H2S - correlation coefficients of -0.85, -0.80 and -0.64 respectively compared to IVDMD) measured in this experiment when cooked meats were fermented. Among SCFA, propionate molar ratio was increased (P < 0.001) as result of the thermal treatment. Comparing thermal treatments, a higher (P < 0.05) H2S production was observed when meats were previously oven-cooked."

"So the in vitro fermentation of raw meats resulted in low quantities of fermentation products (gas, SCFA, H2S). In addition to the quantity of fermentation products, the kinetics of gas production are affected by the ingredient. Gas production was fast when residues of raw meat were incubated with porcine inoculum, probably because these ingredients contain more soluble peptides than other tested ingredients[14]."

"BCFA are indicators of protein fermentation[17]. They can be produced from the deamination of branched chain AA (valine, leucine and isoleucine) by many gut genera like Bacteroides spp., Propionibacterium spp., Streptococcus spp. and Clostridium spp.[40]. The molar ratio of BCFA is directly related to the quantity of dietary protein available for bacterial fermentation after digestion by pepsin and pancreatin."

What I can say though is that the raw meat community is super schizo, but maybe that's just the type of personality willing to eat raw meat. The nutrition system concocted by Aajonus is a very schizo-y matrix system that gives on the illusion of perfectly understanding physiology and nutrition within the space of ~50 pages. Overall I felt more balanced and not schizo when I did a ray peat, primal, and circadian blend than when I did just primal or any specific one of those individually.
Aajonus missed the forest for the trees, he shilled bacteria/parasites as a good thing but all his dietary reccomendations were highly anti-bacterial and anti-parasites.

Good quality raw foods will always have innate antiseptic properties, besides high unaltered nutrition, which will help strenghten your immune-system.

Like i said before, pottenger's cats were suffering from all kinds of bacterial diseases and parasites, even though they only ate cooked "sterilized" food.

I remember Peat saying once in an interview how most animals in nature have clean digestive tracts, while the germophobic human struggles with bacterial overgrowth and dysbiosis. Pretty interesting, huh? :lol:

Yonebayashian

Raw meat is way easier to digest, dude. You don't even need a study to know this, cooked meat sit like a rock in your stomach, while raw you may feel full (due to nutritional density), but you won't feel it in your stomach.

But, here ya go:

"In the human diet, protein sources are usually cooked before consumption. This heat treatment does have consequence on the digestibility and the subsequent intestinal fermentation of these foods. In this study, cooking treatments that mimic common cooking practices in industrial and domestic kitchens were applied to meats, insects and grain legumes."

"[..]ingredients, in the raw state and after cooking using several methods, were incubated with pepsin and pancreatin to assess their digestibility. The residues obtained after enzymatic digestion were incubated with a bacterial inoculum from porcine faeces to simulate the fermentation occurring in the large intestine."

"Beef muscle (Longissimus dorsi) and chicken breast (Pectoralis major) were chosen as animal protein and cut in small meat pieces of approximatively 60 g (6 × 3 × 2 cm). Some samples were directly frozen (-20 °C) to be used as raw meat and the rest were subjected to one of the following cooking methods:

(a) immersion of meat pieces placed in individual plastic bags (polyamide/polyethylene; 15 × 20 cm; 90 microns) in a water-bath at 70 °C or 85 °C for beef and chicken samples respectively (mean cooking time: 40 min);
(b) cooking in an oven at 175 °C with turning over every 2 min (mean cooking time: 17 and 39 min for beef and chicken samples respectively);
(c) frying on a pan without addition of fat with turning over every 2 min (mean cooking time: 7 and 15 min for beef and chicken samples respectively).

For all cooking methods, the meat temperature was monitored using a temperature probe (Testo 926, Lenzkirch, Germany) and the cooking was stopped when a core temperature of 70 °C or 85 °C was reached, for beef and chicken samples respectively according to the reference method of Boccard et al.[26]."

1608214880248.png

1608214887219.png

1608214895463.png

"[Despite] drawbacks of the in vitro enzymatic digestion protocol that was used, our results showed that, working with raw ingredients, meats were highly susceptible to pepsin and pancreatin hydrolysis, followed by insects and finally by grain legumes. As a consequence, for each g of ingredient consumed, the quantity of dietary components available as energy source for microbiota in the large intestine was negatively correlated (correlation coefficients of -0.81, -0.83, -0.71 between IVDMD and gas, SCFA, H2S productions respectively) to the digestibility in the upper GIT."

"As cooked meats were less digestible (P < 0.05), a higher amount of dietary components were available as energy source for microbiota during in vitro fermentation for each g of ingredient ingested. This was reflected by the higher productions (P < 0.001) of all fermentation products (total gas (A), SCFA, H2S - correlation coefficients of -0.85, -0.80 and -0.64 respectively compared to IVDMD) measured in this experiment when cooked meats were fermented. Among SCFA, propionate molar ratio was increased (P < 0.001) as result of the thermal treatment. Comparing thermal treatments, a higher (P < 0.05) H2S production was observed when meats were previously oven-cooked."

"So the in vitro fermentation of raw meats resulted in low quantities of fermentation products (gas, SCFA, H2S). In addition to the quantity of fermentation products, the kinetics of gas production are affected by the ingredient. Gas production was fast when residues of raw meat were incubated with porcine inoculum, probably because these ingredients contain more soluble peptides than other tested ingredients[14]."

"BCFA are indicators of protein fermentation[17]. They can be produced from the deamination of branched chain AA (valine, leucine and isoleucine) by many gut genera like Bacteroides spp., Propionibacterium spp., Streptococcus spp. and Clostridium spp.[40]. The molar ratio of BCFA is directly related to the quantity of dietary protein available for bacterial fermentation after digestion by pepsin and pancreatin."

Aajonus missed the forest for the trees, he shilled bacteria/parasites as a good thing but all his dietary reccomendations were highly anti-bacterial and anti-parasites.

Good quality raw foods will always have innate antiseptic properties, besides high unaltered nutrition, which will help strenghten your immune-system.

Like i said before, pottenger's cats were suffering from all kinds of bacterial diseases and parasites, even though they only ate cooked "sterilized" food.

I remember Peat saying once in an interview how most animals in nature have clean digestive tracts, while the germophobic human struggles with bacterial overgrowth and dysbiosis. Pretty interesting, huh? :lol:
Thanks a ton for posting this bro, I got kinda memed into thinking otherwise despite my first-hand experience with the diet by some studies people posted. My intuition still tells me there's some benefits to doing some cooked some raw though.

Also anecdotally almost all the most beautiful people I've ever seen eat tons of raw meat and virtually everyone I've seen who starts eating lots of raw animal foods goes through a major boost in looks.

Gânico

My intuition still tells me there's some benefits to doing some cooked some raw though.
Yeah, that's how most primitive cultures used to eat. I think we started cooking our foods because they become way more enjoyable, people tend to enjoy the taste of hot, smoky burnt things.

Also anecdotally almost all the most beautiful people I've ever seen eat tons of raw meat and virtually everyone I've seen who starts eating lots of raw animal foods goes through a major boost in looks.
That's the power of true nourishment. Besides higher and unalterable concentrations of vitamins, minerals, hormones etc, raw foods might contain beneficial biological properties still unknown to us, which could be potentially destroyed during the cooking process.

By the way, speaking of biological properties, that's one of the reasons why Dr.Peat still consume eggs despite their known high pufa content.

Dr. Peat: "I think eggs contain “biological” factors of various kinds besides the specific essential nutrients."

No_Energy

I've been eating raw meat until I find out about Toxoplasma gondii. This parasite is in raw meat. It doesn't create much health issues but there is evidence that it might slightly change our behavior into being more reckless. It's most likely all BS, but I'm kind of scared about brain changes. If it can make us behave like a different person then that would mean that "me" is going to be on pause until future medicine can fix my brain into original mode.

What do you guys think?

"The consumption of raw or undercooked meat containing Toxoplasma. gondii tissue cysts and the consumption of raw vegetables or water contaminated with T. gondii oocysts from cat feces is most frequently associated with human illness." - Toxoplasma gondii in the Food Supply : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5488655/

* The previous post was incomplete. (missing the toxoplasmosis connection). Posting again, the correct version.

Last edited:

reaching

What do you guys think?

* The previous post was incomplete. (missing the toxoplasmosis connection). Posting again, the correct version.

If you think people get schizophrenia from raw meat.. then.. I just don't know what to tell you.
I don't know all the other sciency words you typed but rule of thumb is to just not eat carnivores and good your meat from a high quality source.
I don't eat raw pork because there is no great source for it where I am. Also... just on the fence about eating them in general.

Don't eat it. It seems you are more worried about the the things than you are about the benefits you might perceive/receive form eating raw meat.

VitoScaletta

For red muscle meat:
Get a non-aged, thick steak from a butcher, preferably one of the more affordable cuts. Cook in a pan with CO so that outside gets cooked but inside still raw, cook edges aswell. Salt beforehand all the outside surface so it cooks easier.
The chance of you getting sick doing this is zero, especially if the meat didn't sit for a long time

Either lamb, calf or mutton works well:
With lamb, lamb chops with one of the ribs removed so that the steak is thick
With calf there a lot of options. I prefer Sirloin, Flatiron steaks. 1-1.5 inch thickness

I like to cook my beef liver very rare aswell. Make sure it's from a good butcher

VitoScaletta

If you think people get schizophrenia from raw meat.. then.. I just don't know what to tell you.
I don't know all the other sciency words you typed but rule of thumb is to just not eat carnivores and good your meat from a high quality source.
I don't eat raw pork because there is no great source for it where I am. Also... just on the fence about eating them in general.

Don't eat it. It seems you are more worried about the the things than you are about the benefits you might perceive/receive form eating raw meat.
I'm sceptical about eating raw pork aswell

No_Energy

====
I've been eating raw meat until I find out about Toxoplasma gondii. This parasite is in raw meat. It doesn't create much health issues but there is evidence that it might slightly change our behavior into being more reckless. It's most likely all BS, but I'm kind of scared about brain changes. If it can make us behave like a different person then that would mean that "me" is going to be on pause until future medicine can fix my brain into original mode.

====

What do you guys think?

"The consumption of raw or undercooked meat containing Toxoplasma. gondii tissue cysts and the consumption of raw vegetables or water contaminated with T. gondii oocysts from cat feces is most frequently associated with human illness." - Toxoplasma gondii in the Food Supply : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5488655/

Hey USER=reaching , thanks for your contribution , but please let me just say that I am not just using "sciecy words", as you say, I hope to bring a valid argument, with real available data, caring for this issue, adding to the discussion, and open to hear what people here have to say

A lot of people consume raw meat, including friends in this forum, and it is a legit concern to be brought up and discussed. Personally, I would be content if there weren't any issues, I would try raw meat, but it seems there are very concerning risks, as the one I am bringing into discussion. Btw, it doesn't have to be Schizophrenia necessarily, but messing up with the brain in other ways. (or changing behavior as it is hypothesized to happen with cats)
Here is one source for toxoplasma gondii in raw meat: Toxoplasma gondii in the Food Supply
And there studies hypothesizing the connection of toxoplasma. gondii and schizophrenia, Here's what the summary says: "Summary of thirty-eight studies, published in 2012, that found that individuals with schizophrenia were three times more likely than those without schizophrenia to have antibodies in their blood to the Toxoplasma protozoan" , you can use a search engine, find the studies and look them up.

Here are some:
1: Toxoplasma and schizophrenia - PubMed - Toxoplasma and schizophrenia
2; Negative Effects of Latent Toxoplasmosis on Mental Health - Negative Effects of Latent Toxoplasmosis on Mental Health
3: Relationship between Toxoplasma gondii seropositivity and schizophrenia in the Lebanese population: potential implication of genetic polymorphism of MMP-9 - BMC Psychiatry - Relationship between Toxoplasma gondii seropositivity and schizophrenia in the Lebanese population: potential implication of genetic polymorphism of MMP-9
4: Toxoplasma gondii Infection and Clinical Characteristics of Patients With Schizophrenia: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis - Toxoplasma gondii Infection and Clinical Characteristics of Patients With Schizophrenia: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis

tk care.

Last edited:

Bogdar

I did a lot of raw meat, and never had any problems. I did have problems with raw milk only.
Have you ever seen anyone got sick by raw meat ?

The only sickness I've seen (and experienced) were from either raw sea game, and cooked ***t (hot dogs, low price ground beef, ...) :bookworm:

reaching

====

====

What do you guys think?

Hey USER=reaching , thanks for your contribution , but please let me just say that I am not just using "sciecy words", as you say, I hope to bring a valid argument, with real available data, caring for this issue, adding to the discussion, and open to hear what people here have to say

A lot of people consume raw meat, including friends in this forum, and it is a legit concern to be brought up and discussed. Personally, I would be content if there weren't any issues, I would try raw meat, but it seems there are very concerning risks, as the one I am bringing into discussion. Btw, it doesn't have to be Schizophrenia necessarily, but messing up with the brain in other ways. (or changing behavior as it is hypothesized to happen with cats)
Here is one source for toxoplasma gondii in raw meat: Toxoplasma gondii in the Food Supply
And there studies hypothesizing the connection of toxoplasma. gondii and schizophrenia, Here's what the summary says: "Summary of thirty-eight studies, published in 2012, that found that individuals with schizophrenia were three times more likely than those without schizophrenia to have antibodies in their blood to the Toxoplasma protozoan" , you can use a search engine, find the studies and look them up.

Here are some:
2; Negative Effects of Latent Toxoplasmosis on Mental Health - Negative Effects of Latent Toxoplasmosis on Mental Health
3: Relationship between Toxoplasma gondii seropositivity and schizophrenia in the Lebanese population: potential implication of genetic polymorphism of MMP-9 - BMC Psychiatry - Relationship between Toxoplasma gondii seropositivity and schizophrenia in the Lebanese population: potential implication of genetic polymorphism of MMP-9
4: Toxoplasma gondii Infection and Clinical Characteristics of Patients With Schizophrenia: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis - Toxoplasma gondii Infection and Clinical Characteristics of Patients With Schizophrenia: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis

tk care.
====

====

What do you guys think?

Here are some:

tk care.

It’s not a concern for people who eat raw meat.
Generally people who raw meat don’t subscribe to the whole “bacteria is gonna kill meeee” narrative. Im on the fence about all that stuff though. I understand bacteria can jack you up but I think it depends on the context (like everything?)

Uhmmmmm yeah toxomagifragilicialdocious ain’t gonna kill you. Get your meat from somewhere clean. Don’t eat weird game.

You can freeze your meat if you’d like.
Don’t eat raw foods with liquids or around them. My rule of thumb is don’t drink stuff 45 min before or until 2 hours or more after.

But you, you know, Youuuu..if you wanna hypothentificate about the possibility of the correlation of the supposed possibility of the correlation of the summary of a study on the possibility of the correlation yadidah then yeah sorry. Not edumucated enough for that.

All I can say is that if you’re this worried about it, probably not for you. But you know that already by now probably? I dunno. I don’t really know anything.

Sorry guys. Bad idea eating raw meat. You can get all kinds of nasty worms that can grow and grow and grow. Wild animals can handle the worms. Humans can’t.

I did a lot of raw meat, and never had any problems. I did have problems with raw milk only.
Have you ever seen anyone got sick by raw meat ?

The only sickness I've seen (and experienced) were from either raw sea game, and cooked ***t (hot dogs, low price ground beef, ...) :bookworm:
You won’t know till some of the creatures get big enough.

Yonebayashian

A primal diet guy I follow just did an experiment where he consumed only the lowest quality pork he could find raw for a couple of weeks (US based) and he didn't experience any illness or downsides.

A primal diet guy I follow just did an experiment where he consumed only the lowest quality pork he could find raw for a couple of weeks (US based) and he didn't experience any illness or downsides.
These things (worms) tape and such take time to manifest