How to eat raw meat and not get sick

BearWithMe

Obviously it should be quality meat from a good butcher, and it should be as fresh as possible, but is that enough to prevent food poisoning?

Yonebayashian

You probably will get diarrhea just due to the massive shift in gut biome. Other than that the cases of acute sickness from fresh raw meat is extremely slim- doing primal on and off and being on primal insta I haven't seen any adverse reactions other than the diarrhea. Keep activated charcoal on hand and take if you want to end the purging. Sometimes the body uses diarrhea and vomiting as a detox so activated charcoal is a sort of sponge. If you eat a good amount of liver and have high nutrients (especially copper) and metabolism your body should be able to handle raw meat easily. Even when my body was in a more rough shape I was able to eat high (rotten) meat often and be fine. Long term I think that left me with too many protein feeding bacteria which love to produce too much ammonia and my kidneys were kinda weird and were having issues as I was doing that. Just eat some coconut oil alongside it for added antibacterial benefits of you're worried.

Gânico

I eat raw meat daily, never got sick, only saw benefits. Just get high quality grass fed stuff and you will be fine

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

You probably will get diarrhea just due to the massive shift in gut biome. Other than that the cases of acute sickness from fresh raw meat is extremely slim- doing primal on and off and being on primal insta I haven't seen any adverse reactions other than the diarrhea. Keep activated charcoal on hand and take if you want to end the purging. Sometimes the body uses diarrhea and vomiting as a detox so activated charcoal is a sort of sponge. If you eat a good amount of liver and have high nutrients (especially copper) and metabolism your body should be able to handle raw meat easily. Even when my body was in a more rough shape I was able to eat high (rotten) meat often and be fine. Long term I think that left me with too many protein feeding bacteria which love to produce too much ammonia and my kidneys were kinda weird and were having issues as I was doing that. Just eat some coconut oil alongside it for added antibacterial benefits of you're worried.
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I eat raw meat daily, never got sick, only saw benefits. Just get high quality grass fed stuff and you will be fine
This is super interesting. Are you buying fresh meat every day? Are you buying vacuum-packed meat?

Last edited:

Rasaari

You could just sear the sides. Also have high stomach acid and sterile SI.

Gânico

This is super interesting. Are you buying fresh meat every day? Are you buying vacuum-packed meat?

Do you just eat it as you bought it, or do you prepare it in some way? Do you wash it?
I just buy it fresh from the butcher, so fresh that the meat/organs still tastes sweet, preserved glycogen.

I don't wash it, and I usually get enough for the whole week, i put them in a big ceramic pot in the fridge.

I don't like aged or high meat, but the decaying process start quickly in the end of the week, even so, i eat them anyway, no problems so far.

I would like to add that I didn't experience diarrhea, vomit or other things some people claim to be detox when i switched to an all raw food diet.

Last edited:
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I just buy it fresh from the butcher, so fresh that the meat/organs still tastes sweet, preserved glycogen.

I don't wash it, and I usually get enough for the whole week, i put them in a big ceramic pot in the fridge.

I don't like aged or high meat, but the decaying process start quickly in the end of the week, even so, i eat them anyway, no problems so far.

I would like to add that I didn't experience diarrhea, vomit or other things some people claim to be detox when i switched to an all raw food diet.
Wow, surprising that the meat is still edible raw after a week.

Have you tried storing the meat in salty water? Salt is a great preservative, and the water would prevent contact with oxygen.

Gânico

Wow, surprising that the meat is still edible raw after a week.

Have you tried storing the meat in salty water? Salt is a great preservative, and the water would prevent con people do ttact with oxygen.
Yeah, it would be better for preserving, but i think salt could damage the meat nutrition to some extent. I think just putting it in a hermetic sealed glass jar + fridge would be the best. Even if it decays a bit, it isn't likely to harm you, and the taste isn't bad at all, some people even advocates it as a miraclous food, hahah.

John mcclain

If you are worried about taste...cut your meat with a scissors to size n leave in a warm oven for about 3 minutes literally just warm the meat is way more enjoyable...as for washing the meat I've left meat out for upto a week airing and eaten it with no ill effects...it smells absolutely rotten but the taste is very nice...I'm doing this over 3 yrs fwiw

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

If you are worried about taste...cut your meat with a scissors to size n leave in a warm oven for about 3 minutes literally just warm the meat is way more enjoyable...as for washing the meat I've left meat out for upto a week airing and eaten it with no ill effects...it smells absolutely rotten but the taste is very nice...I'm doing this over 3 yrs fwiw
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I often wonder why we are being taught that eating raw meat is almost like a certain death.

Yonebayashian

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I often wonder why we are being taught that eating raw meat is almost like a certain death.
At this point my current theory as to why raw meat is so taboo is because it will trigger an episode of diahrea as you transition onto it. Diahrea in the west is an inconvenience. Diahrea in the rural congo is death.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I use to eat meat uncooked, but I divide it in portions when I purchase for a week and freeze. Now I'm wondering the effects of freezing on protein structure and lipids. Found a study but only the abstract is accesible

Freezing of meat and aquatic food: Underlying mechanisms and implications on protein oxidation
When the raw food fad started a decade ago, it always seemed odd to me that temperatures over 40°C/104°F will destroy the food, yet temperatures under 0°C/32°F are somehow completely safe. It just doesn't make sense to me.

It is still a relatively recent study, hopefully sic-hbu.se will eventually list it, I'm super curious about the full text

Yonebayashian

In the Primal diet slash raw meat onlyist world it's very well known freezing damages nutrient content. It also makes it taste like garbage. Previously frozen raw meat is disgusting. I will cook it just to make it palatable but if it's previously frozen and cooked you really wonder what slim amount of nutritional content is left after all the adulteration. I used to basically only live on previously frozen cooked meat and I was not healthy at all.

aniciete

In the Primal diet slash raw meat onlyist world it's very well known freezing damages nutrient content. It also makes it taste like garbage. Previously frozen raw meat is disgusting. I will cook it just to make it palatable but if it's previously frozen and cooked you really wonder what slim amount of nutritional content is left after all the adulteration. I used to basically only live on previously frozen cooked meat and I was not healthy at all.
So what if you don’t have access to fresh meat? Frozen is no good?