How To Eat Mushrooms?

I'm not sure pressure cookers have different pressures :laughing:

onioneyedox

Cheaper models might have slightly lower maximum pressure setting than standard. Of course they can vary. what :confused:

None I have seen mention it as a feature, and none mention even their operating pressure. Plus the fancy brand mentioned above claims 70% reduction in cooking time which is basically what they find with their el cheapo pot.

aguilaroja

On my cheapo digital cooker... about 36 minutes total. It's probably equivalent to over 90 minutes of boiling.
...More expensive pressure cookers... achieve *much* higher pressures....

There is a standard maximum pressure for pressure cookers: 15 psi or 103.4 kPa in the U.S., and slightly lower in Europe. Not all pressure cookers are set to this standard. Some pressure cookers also have more than one pressure setting.

Electric pressure cookers functionally cook at a lower (maximum) pressure than the non-electric standard ones, even the electric ones reach 15 /103.4 kPa psi.

In practice, there is much variation in cooking time, based on the quantity of food and water, type of food, the size of the pot, altitude, etc. More variation comes from the time in pressure cooking spent getting up to pressure (and down from pressure). Due to this, there is no firm equivalence between pressure cooking and boiling.

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-psi-faq-the-stuff-you-didnt-think-to-ask/

I have not seen thorough studies of how pressure cookers differ in reducing (volatilizing) hydrazine in mushrooms. Of course, since things heat faster with pressure cooking, it would be quicker. Whether boiling or pressure cooking, it seems wise to stand back from the pot and use ventilation, since cooking vapor might contain hydrazine.

aguilaroja

The digital ones, like InstantPot, generally operate at 11.6psi. The Kuhn Rikon model I mention operates at 17.4psi.

Yes, there are cookers with non-standard maximum pressures. Various Kuhn-Rikon models and some other high end kinds have higher psi (and cook faster).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_cooking#Non-standard_pressure_settings
"Non-standard pressure settings
Some pressure cookers have a lower or higher maximum pressure than 1 bar/15 psi above sea level pressure or can be adjusted to different pressures for some recipes; cooking times will increase or decrease accordingly. This is typically done by having different regulator weights or different pressure settings. If the recipe is devised for a higher pressure and the pressure cooker does not reach that pressure, the cooking time can be increased slightly to compensate. Electric pressure cookers operate at lower pressures than stovetop pressure cookers."

Lin

I have a standard Fagor pressure cooker. It has one setting: 15 lbs pressure, which cooks at 250F. One of my favorite recipes involves heating coconut oil in the cooker, and sauteing mushrooms and onions until the onions are wilted. Then I add some cut up potatoes and water or stock. Close the lid and bring to pressure. They cook in 3 min, but you can let them go longer if you want... I have never let it go past 5 min.

I am now having second thoughts about this (yes, I overthink things). It seems that potatoes contain a cancer promoting chemical, acrylamide. And the higher the cooking temp, the more of it is developed within the potato. However, I am not a scientist, and don't quite know how much importance to put on this study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21853292

There is a standard maximum pressure for pressure cookers: 15 psi or 103.4 kPa in the U.S., and slightly lower in Europe. Not all pressure cookers are set to this standard. Some pressure cookers also have more than one pressure setting.

Electric pressure cookers functionally cook at a lower (maximum) pressure than the non-electric standard ones, even the electric ones reach 15 /103.4 kPa psi.

In practice, there is much variation in cooking time, based on the quantity of food and water, type of food, the size of the pot, altitude, etc. More variation comes from the time in pressure cooking spent getting up to pressure (and down from pressure). Due to this, there is no firm equivalence between pressure cooking and boiling.

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-psi-faq-the-stuff-you-didnt-think-to-ask/

I have not seen thorough studies of how pressure cookers differ in reducing (volatilizing) hydrazine in mushrooms. Of course, since things heat faster with pressure cooking, it would be quicker. Whether boiling or pressure cooking, it seems wise to stand back from the pot and use ventilation, since cooking vapor might contain hydrazine.

Cool!

aguilaroja

...then I add some cut up potatoes and water or stock. Close the lid and bring to pressure....

I am now having second thoughts about this (yes, I overthink things). It seems that potatoes contain a cancer promoting chemical, acrylamide. And the higher the cooking temp, the more of it is developed within the potato. However, I am not a scientist, and don't quite know how much importance to put on this study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21853292

The hazard attributed to acrylamide in cooked potato was found to be temperature related. Oil for french fries is in the 325-375 °F or 150-170 °C range. The temperature range for making potato chips is a bit higher. Pressure cooking achieves a higher boiling point than water, but it is around 250°F/121°C, but much lower than deep frying.

(Since in pressure cooking, there are steps bring the dish up to pressure and later down from pressure, some of the cooking time is lower that 250°F/121°C..)

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securi...lamide_and_food-acrylamide_et_aliment-eng.php
"Of the foods tested by Health Canada, potato chips and french fries tended to contain the most acrylamide, while lower levels were found in soft breads and cereals. Acrylamide was not found in boiled potatoes because the temperature during boiling is not high enough to cause acrylamide to be formed."

Dr. Peat mentioned acrylamide in a 2007 newsletter:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/unsuitablefats.shtml

"Another well publicized problem supposedly involving the reaction between sugars and proteins has to do with the discovery of the carcinogen, acrylamide, in breads and french fries. The Whole Foods Market was sued in California for selling whole wheat bread without a warning that it contained a carcinogen.

"But the changes in proteins that occur in diabetes are mainly produced by the breakdown products of polyunsaturated fatty acids. Acrylamide is produced largely by the reaction of PUFA with proteins.

"Sugar, by reducing the level of free fatty acids in the body, actually tends to protect against these toxic effects of the PUFA."

seano

They go into nearly every stew I cook. And I cook them daily. Either chopped fine at the beginning for the base, or whole along with meat.

I do it for the umami that mushrooms give. Mostly crimini mushrooms as they are easily available and decently priced. Dried gives even more flavor.

Lin

The hazard attributed to acrylamide in cooked potato was found to be temperature related. Oil for french fries is in the 325-375 °F or 150-170 °C range. The temperature range for making potato chips is a bit higher. Pressure cooking achieves a higher boiling point than water, but it is around 250°F/121°C, but much lower than deep frying.

(Since in pressure cooking, there are steps bring the dish up to pressure and later down from pressure, some of the cooking time is lower that 250°F/121°C..)

Good point, aguilaroja! Thanks! Guess I will continue pressure cooking potatoes.

onioneyedox

Yes, acrylamide is developed when frying or baking, basically when stuff in browned (Maillard reaction). I read some publication few months ago about reducing it in bread baking. Methods included increasing moisture of oven, decreasing temperature (varied during baking process don't remember details, I think point was to have thinner and lighter colored crust), adding glycine (or some other amino acids) to compete with asparagine that mainly forms acrylamide (my own thought: who knows what compounds other aminoacids are forming, maybe not any better than acrylamide, they still brown). Maybe also adding some antioxidant such as rosemary extract, I might remember this wrong. Mostly this is stuff for industry though, avoiding overly browning food is what home cooks should do.

I'm not sure that PUFA has that much to do with it, from what I read anyway (mainly asparagine and sugary compounds reacting). Maybe PUFAs reacting in high heat has catalyzing effect, though. I wonder if potato crisps fried in coconut oil has less acrylamide.

CJ_87

Yes, boil them for 1-3 hours, and then prepare them any way you like.

The way Ray has said he likes them is a cup of white button mushrooms microwaved with something meltable, like Cheddar cheese.

I cook them at 20 minutes in the pressure cooker and they come out nice. What you can do is sautéed them first so they release liquid, boil it off, then add liquid and close he pressure cooker and cook. That way I would think the hydrazine would be boiled off more effectively?

G

Gray Ling

We've come a long way since the discovery of fire eh? The pressure cooker seems like a big technological advancement in food preparation.

G

Gray Ling

I'm sorry for the last post. too much sarcasm there. Anyway this thread got me thinking I need to make a shift to establish healthy yeast growth in my tummy.

However 'Reputable companies avoid making the statement that brewer’s yeast will improve digestion in the large intestine.' (from the article titled 'Feeding Yeast to Horses' by Eleanor Blazer)
So should I give it a go?

tyler

Do you think there would be any issue eating the stems of mushrooms?
I didn't receive the newsletter, so I don't know if he had mentioned whether he recommends just the caps or the mushroom as a whole. Not sure if the stem would create any issues with endotoxin/serotonin.

tara

However 'Reputable companies avoid making the statement that brewer’s yeast will improve digestion in the large intestine.' (from the article titled 'Feeding Yeast to Horses' by Eleanor Blazer)
So should I give it a go?
Are you suffering equine indigestion? :)

RedLightMan

Canned mushrooms a good idea?

Anyone know if canned mushrooms would be hydrazine free? I'm too lazy for all this preparation.
As far as I know, the canning process involves pressure cooking.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals