How To Eat Mushrooms?

Hi guys,

How do you prepare your mushrooms to eat? I read from Danny Roddy I think Ray Peat says to boil them for 4 hours or something ridiculous? ray recommended them as good for bowel movements, so I'm going to add it in as well since it seems to be a really health food. I'm just not sure how to prepare them!!! I don't see too much about it here, but I think Ray eats them a lot!!!

Dan W

I'm lazy, so I've settled on just cleaning them and tossing them in a pot to boil for 1-3 hours (longer times make the mushrooms firmer). Then I just salt and eat. But I'm pretty utilitarian about food, I'm sure there's tastier options for more discerning palates.

grega423

I've been eating white button mushrooms for a long time now, before stumbling upon Mr. Peat. I used to fry them covered cooked in lots of butter with salt and garlic salt. My wife called them "sex mushrooms"! Didn't know about the hydrazine?spelling? My plan now is to boil them for 3 hours then cut them up and fry them the same way, probably less time? I actually have a pot of mushrooms boiling right now for the first time. We'll see how this goes.

Dan W

Danny Roddy's mentioned doing something similar, boiling them and then sauteing them later.

I wonder if boiling them in salted water would be useful for flavor, or if it's better to wait until they're done.

Dean

Does the hydrazine evaporate or just cook out of the mushrooms into the water, which then needs to be discarded? Trying to figure out if its OK to just throw the raw mushrooms into a long cooked stew or into a pot with potatoes where the end resulting solids and liquids could all be consumed.

Lightbringer

Dean said:
post 116845 Does the hydrazine evaporate or just cook out of the mushrooms into the water, which then needs to be discarded? Trying to figure out if its OK to just throw the raw mushrooms into a long cooked stew or into a pot with potatoes where the end resulting solids and liquids could all be consumed.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8968

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The juice after cooking the mushrooms is soooooo darn yummy. :drool Just add a little salt and I enjoy my cup of earthy Heaven. :lol: :cool:

Dean

Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 116848
Dean said:
post 116845 Does the hydrazine evaporate or just cook out of the mushrooms into the water, which then needs to be discarded? Trying to figure out if its OK to just throw the raw mushrooms into a long cooked stew or into a pot with potatoes where the end resulting solids and liquids could all be consumed.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8968
OK, cool Kaspar. Thanks. I wonder if the solanine remains in the water from potato boiling? Would be nice if I could do a one pot potato and mushroom stew. Would have to start the mushrooms first as three hours of boiling might be a bit of overkill on the potatoes...though that amount of time would surely do a positive number on the starch.

Dean

charlie said:
post 116850 The juice after cooking the mushrooms is soooooo darn yummy. :drool Just add a little salt and I enjoy my cup of earthy Heaven. :lol: :cool:

I don't have much experience with mushrooms as they sometimes give me terrible headaches. Maybe boiling off the hydrazine is the answer. Do you do a full boil for three hours? It would seem you would have to start with a heck of a lotta water to end up with much magic elixir left to consume at the end. Do you use organic mushrooms only?

Lightbringer

Dean said:
OK, cool Kaspar. Thanks. I wonder if the solanine remains in the water from potato boiling? Would be nice if I could do a one pot potato and mushroom stew. Would have to start the mushrooms first as three hours of boiling might be a bit of overkill on the potatoes...though that amount of time would surely do a positive number on the starch.
Yeah, I was wondering about the same thing as the liquid seems to be important in case of both greens and mushrooms. I think solanine mostly occurs close to the skin so peeling the potatoes should reduce this concern. However, peeling it also would mean that the vitamins could leach out into the boiled water..

Dean

Upon a little research, it appears that solanine shouldn't be an issue especially if (as Kaspar mentioned) they are thickly peeled. There is some other toxin called hemagglutinin, however, that supposedly necessitates discarding the potato boiling water.

I also usually eat the Idaho type potato because they are lower in solanine to start with. I do feel it in my joints when i eat red potatoes, for example. Not sure though if there would be anything left that could be separated from the water because of how readily the idahos break down as opposed to the newer potatoes. So much for my potato and mushroom stew idea, I guess.

tara

I've been eating mushrooms in my soup. Usually only cook for 15-25 mins with greens, onion, ginger, and sometimes other things. The mushrooms add great flavour. Hope I'm doing some good by the boiling, even if I don't do it for 3 hours. I usually blend and mix with stock. Including potatoes would probably also be workable.

schultz

Regarding how long to cook the mushrooms for, this is the last paragraph from the newsletter...

"The hydrazine-containing toxins that Toth and others wrote about are destroyed by heat. Since extracts made by boiling the mushrooms for three hours were very active, I think it's good to boil them from one to three hours."

milk_lover

I can eat mushroom right after boiling with no problem. Two days ago, I cooked them for three hours and let them sit on the kitchen table for another three hours because I wanted to eat something else. When I ate them, my eyes turned red and I was like poisoned or something. They were soaked with water. It just didn't feel good to me. Anybody know why that might have happened?

ejalrp

I don't see too much about it here, but I think Ray eats them a lot!!!

I heard the Danny Roddy interview but Ray didn't mention what variety of mushrooms contain the best or most potent mix of the beneficial compounds he mentioned. Anyone know?

bobbybobbob

Regarding how long to cook the mushrooms for, this is the last paragraph from the newsletter...

"The hydrazine-containing toxins that Toth and others wrote about are destroyed by heat. Since extracts made by boiling the mushrooms for three hours were very active, I think it's good to boil them from one to three hours."

20 minutes in a good pressure cooker. Same with potatoes. Who has time for all this boiling?

schultz

20 minutes in a good pressure cooker. Same with potatoes. Who has time for all this boiling?

Well, you don't sit there and watch it cook. :nailbiting: Though you have to plan ahead, and I'm not very good at that.

Funny you mention the pressure cooker because I've been looking into getting one recently and was wondering about mushrooms in it. My guess is that the pressure cooker would be very efficient at neutralizing the hydrazine. Are the potatoes cooked right through in 20 minutes?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

bobbybobbob

Are the potatoes cooked right through in 20 minutes?

On my cheapo digital cooker it takes about 8 minutes for the cooking chamber to come up to pressure, then the 20 minute timer starts, and then it takes about 8 minutes for the pressure to come down so you can open the lid. So about 36 minutes total. It's probably equivalent to over 90 minutes of boiling.

More expensive pressure cookers, like the kuhn rikon models, achieve *much* higher pressures, so 15 minutes or so of cooking time is probably equivalent to a couple hours of boiling.

G

Gray Ling

Omg! this thread is making me laugh so much. If I wanted to give you my take on this thread it would be: 'How to eat mush' or 'How long after eating does food turn to mush'. Mush being another word for...do doo.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals