How To Dose Progesterone To Bring Your Period Back

ifg7

Hi everybody, as I posted in other thread, I am dealing with lack of period for about 1,5 year now.
It is about 3 months since I started following Ray Peat's advices with big improvement in my energy etc.

Not to be too long - I am quite sure I am not estrogen dominant because as I was doing some lab tests, both estrogen and progesterone were really low. I also do not have any high estrogen symptoms I think. My prolactin is also low. I am hypothyroid though for a few years, currently on NDT 2,5 grain divided through the day. Not going into details, my hormonal system just collapsed some time ago.. then it was ok for about 2years and the same thing again.. probably because of too much stress I was putting on myself.

I've tried progesterone supplementation already in 2 cycles, which of course were created by me when it comes to the timing.
First time I did 2 weeks at a normal dose - about 20-25mg per day, and in fact, I felt nothing special despite a big improvement in my skin (I have been dealing with some skin problems for a few years). My period did not appear.
Then after 2 weeks off, I doubled the dose, maybe took even bit more - something about 50mg a day. The first week was ok, the second week was terrible - I felt so bloated, gain 2kg of water I think, lack of energy, got a sore throat. I was feeling as I would almost explode and get my period, but no period again.
Again 2 weeks off and everything ok - skin even more improved.
Now it is the first day I started progesterone again.

I think that maybe if I was feeling so bad on a bigger dose, I should remain a lower dose and just wait for my body to finally heal and the period will appear one day?

There are plenty of threads on the forum, but I think I did not find anything concerning the dosing while low estrogen and lack of periods.
I tried Progesten from Idealabs, now starting Progest-e to check if there will be any different.
I also started Vitex about a month ago.

I will appreciate your help, thanks!

Lotte

When your extrogen is low, I“d take low dose progesterone, high dose progesterone is not recommended as it lightens the period. I“d add vitex (for 25 days, then 5 days off) and magnesium. You need at least 3 months until you“ll see results.

OP
I

ifg7

Thanks for your response @Lotte . So my feeling was ok.. Do you think 20-25mg is ok, or still too much? Yes, I also take magnesium before going to bed. Vitex I take non stop everyday for about 2 months now.. Why should I do 5 days off?
Thanks

Lotte

I think the progesterone dose is fine as long as you feel good with it. Vitex is supposed to be less effective after several month, this is why it is recommended to either take a break within each cycle or after several months.

Lotte

Fertility Depends On Metabollism (ATP), Not Age
Haidut posted a very interesting thread a couple of days ago, suggesting that red light therapy can be very beneficial in order to cure infertility. This might help to solve your problem.

OP
I

ifg7

Haha @Lotte I am just here in the redlight reading your post right now! but thanks for the info, definitely will check it

Lejeboca

Not to be too long - I am quite sure I am not estrogen dominant because as I was doing some lab tests, both estrogen and progesterone were really low

If you were measuring serum estrogen, then what the low values tell you, most likely, is that your estrogen is 'stuck' inside the cells and is not circulating much in blood. This is typical for post-menoposal and, I suppose, amenorrheic women.
What progesterone does is to 'squeeze' out estrogen from the cells and let it get to the liver to be excreted.
Hence, I'd make sure that the liver is very healthy and can 'process' estrogen (I'd use vitamin B-complex, bitter herbs for this) and that the digestion is rather swift so that estrogen is not reabsorbed back on its way out. I'd say liver is the most important piece of the puzzle here.

OP
I

ifg7

@Lejeboca that is what I also have already read at the forum. I am just not sure if with almost all of my hormones went down including cortisol also, then if the estrogen is really overwhelming and stored in the cells. When I once measured my silva cortisol profile, it was about 4 years ago when I was in the worst condition - the cortisol line was totally flat from the morning till the evening.

After introducing the dose of 25mg yesterday, today I feel that my cells are starting to keep water again. Most of the people here say that they are losing water after progesterone because of its diuretic effect. With me it goes totally opposite - after 1 week of progesterone, I feel like michelin man, so bloated.
My energy levels are ok though. I am checking my temperature and pulse and it is going into a really good direction. Yesterday eating only fruits, honey, quark, gelatin, milk, and coffee it was 36,7 in the morning and 37,1 in the afternoon. Pulse ranging from 65 in the morning t0 82 after breakfast and similar in the afternoon.

But this bloating kills me, and I just want to give progesterone a try so badly.. probably I am just doing something wrong with the dose?

AnoushF

@Lejeboca that is what I also have already read at the forum. I am just not sure if with almost all of my hormones went down including cortisol also, then if the estrogen is really overwhelming and stored in the cells. When I once measured my silva cortisol profile, it was about 4 years ago when I was in the worst condition - the cortisol line was totally flat from the morning till the evening.

After introducing the dose of 25mg yesterday, today I feel that my cells are starting to keep water again. Most of the people here say that they are losing water after progesterone because of its diuretic effect. With me it goes totally opposite - after 1 week of progesterone, I feel like michelin man, so bloated.
My energy levels are ok though. I am checking my temperature and pulse and it is going into a really good direction. Yesterday eating only fruits, honey, quark, gelatin, milk, and coffee it was 36,7 in the morning and 37,1 in the afternoon. Pulse ranging from 65 in the morning t0 82 after breakfast and similar in the afternoon.

But this bloating kills me, and I just want to give progesterone a try so badly.. probably I am just doing something wrong with the dose?
My symptoms and experiences with trying to fix my amenorrhea are almost identical to yours, including severe water retention while using progesterone. Any updates on your health journey?

Um... take it from me - you do not want to be Progesterone dominant. I would stop it immediately - take a whole month off of supplement of any kind - eat really well - and THEN..... try pregnenolone /Dhea instead. Eats fats and dairy. All the Progesterone is going to mess you up. It happened to me. How old are you ?

K

Kaur Singh

My symptoms and experiences with trying to fix my amenorrhea are almost identical to yours, including severe water retention while using progesterone. Any updates on your health journey?

amenorrhea can be brought on by low protein intake / low carb intake / low calorie intake
for some, add sustained high stress / high exercise to the mix

you need to look at the whole picture.

Peachy

I didn’t have my period for a year. Made a tincture of vitex, took it daily for a month or two and it worked! My period came back and was regular from that point on. I was young. 23-24 years old or so.

My amenorrhea was brought on by stopping the pill and a high-stress, low-calorie lifestyle. I’m not sure how old you are or what the underlying issues are but maybe vitex is enough while you resolve them?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals