How To Do The Dr Ray Peat Diet While Traveling/vacation To A Big City?

ilpmusic

I started the Dr Ray Peat diet journey one month ago. My sleep had improved and I no longer take my sleeping medication . I see my dr next week . The weight has not come off-just 10 pounds or maybe 15 pounds less would be great!
I travel in 2 weeks to NYC-11 day trip: How does one do this diet while traveling? i am buying the great lakes gelatin single serving packs, taking aspirin and vitamin E. I am stay at a hotel.

Last edited:

tara

How does one do this diet while traveling?
Which diet?
For me, I would have trouble with my diet living in a hotel without cooking facilities to cook spuds, eggs, soup etc, so for me I'd always pick accommodation with access to a kitchen, like a backpackers or similar.
Do you have access any facilities?
If you are OK with milk and fruit and juice and carrots and cheese and cottage cheese and coffee and icecream and chocolate etc, I guess you don't need to cook any of that.

OP
I

ilpmusic

Which diet?
For me, I would have trouble with my diet living in a hotel without cooking facilities to cook spuds, eggs, soup etc, so for me I'd always pick accommodation with access to a kitchen, like a backpackers or similar.
Do you have access any facilities?
If you are OK with milk and fruit and juice and carrots and cheese and cottage cheese and coffee and icecream and chocolate etc, I guess you don't need to cook any of that.
thanks- i made the changes. I am on the Dr Ray Peat Diet.unfortunately I booked the hotels far in advance before I started this new way of eating.. There is no kitchen except for 2 days in which that hotel has a kitchenette in my room.

tara

I am on the Dr Ray Peat Diet.
There are lots of variants of Peat-inspired diets around here. And there are lots of threads with arguments about whether there is such a thing as 'the Ray Peat Diet'. I happen to be one of those who think there isn't a single prescription of foods that works for everyone, and that a Peat-inspired diet is one you work out for your own context that works for you, guided by some of his very useful ideas.

I'm not saying you should eat or do what I do. For instance, Peat has said that aside from the starch, potatoes are an almost perfect food, and generally recommends them over grains. But Peat doesn't eat them himself, because of the starch and allergenicity, and and has at times recommended avoiding starch when better foods are available. Peat recommends milk, and drinks lots of it. Whereas I don't drink it because it makes me sick. Peat doesn't recommend eating stuff that obviously makes us sick.

If you can live on milk and orange juice and fruit and cheese and coffee that you can get in the shops and all you need to do is bring a plate and knife, you may be able to do fine in a hotel room. I couldn't because they make me sick. That's why I ask what you are actually eating.

OP
I

ilpmusic

There are lots of variants of Peat-inspired diets around here. And there are lots of threads with arguments about whether there is such a thing as 'the Ray Peat Diet'. I happen to be one of those who think there isn't a single prescription of foods that works for everyone, and that a Peat-inspired diet is one you work out for your own context that works for you, guided by some of his very useful ideas.

I'm not saying you should eat or do what I do. For instance, Peat has said that aside from the starch, potatoes are an almost perfect food, and generally recommends them over grains. But Peat doesn't eat them himself, because of the starch and allergenicity, and and has at times recommended avoiding starch when better foods are available. Peat recommends milk, and drinks lots of it. Whereas I don't drink it because it makes me sick. Peat doesn't recommend eating stuff that obviously makes us sick.

If you can live on milk and orange juice and fruit and cheese and coffee that you can get in the shops and all you need to do is bring a plate and knife, you may be able to do fine in a hotel room. I couldn't because they make me sick. That's why I ask what you are actually eating.
Right now I am definitely using a lot of shrimp, drinking orange juice again which I have it in years because of the sugar and calories, 1% milk, low-fat cheese, Summer squash, cottage cheese, oranges, and other fruits .I no longer eat nuts or salmon using white fish instead. Occasionally I've been eating blue bunny premium vanilla bean ice cream which only has four or five natural ingredients – no gum, etc.I've been using these charts and guidelines that I read on another post.

OP
I

ilpmusic

Attachments

• ray peat chart.png
    ray peat chart.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 872
  • more details Ray Peat.png
    more details Ray Peat.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,026

Regina

In NYC, you can walk everywhere and will want to. Fresh produce is sold on the sidewalk in every block. Most bodegas have hard-boiled eggs. If you are on the west side, Fairway and Zabar's will have everything. You can even walk in the front door and bark, "Where's da no PUFA!" And someone will yell back, "Ovuh hee-yuh. Dare's no PUFA or nuthin'."

NYC is one city I would feel no need to make any preparation for. Just comfortable shoes.

LUH 3417

There are even stands that sell bone broth in NYC:)

Barneys bone broth &
Brodo