How to distinguish between hunger vs. emotional eating

stressless

How do you distinguish between hunger and emotional eating?

How do I know if I'm actually hungry?

Is emotional eating even a real thing? Or are "hunger" signals just a sign that we need more fuel for energy?

I eat between 2100 - 2400 calories a day and that seems like a lot (I'm 5'3, 27 yrs old, female). Shouldn't I feel full on that amount of calories?

One easy way to distinguish is by how picky you are.

1) REAL HUNGER
"I could eat just about anything right now". Usually you really feel the emptiness in your stomach, it would be growling and rumbling occasionally, and a wide variety of foods start to seem appetizing. If you get really hungry, it's also easy to overeat much past the point of satiety esp. if you eat too quickly, so waiting until you reach this level of hunger is probably not recommended, but getting halfway there should be fine.

2) HUNGER INDUCED BY BOREDOM/STRESS/FRUSTRATION/ETC.
Moreso a craving for the "feel-good" aspect of food rather than the nutrition it provides. Occurs mostly in the brain, without much sensation in the stomach. Usually involves wanting really fatty/sugary things like chocolate, candy, ice cream or w/e.

Emotional eating is very much a thing esp. if you feel like you want things that you know are not healthy, and there are no unique nutrients that couldn't be obtained from a better food. For example when you feel like you want to eat something because you are low on carbs, does eating a banana or an apple sound just as good as the thing you wanted to eat? If not, you're probably after the "fix" of eating that particular food, and not because of the nutrients.

Peatful

You ask 4 questions.

In response to all 4- I will make a general statement.

In my experience: My own. Observing my children. And throughout the years with girlfriends...
I think hunger is just that. That you’re hungry and need more food.

It’s a very healthy response.

At my sickest: I had no hunger cues. None.

For you?
Bump up another 100-200 calories. Keeping your bs steady. Or simply eat to satiety. And that may differ day to day or week to week or even seasonally.

More to say on all this. But it’s very late here.

In response to the comment above:
Frustration or stressed/emotional eating is an intuitive way the body wants to self soothe or calm the stress response down.
It indeed may not be hunger driven as much as the body wanting to decrease the stress response and keep blood sugar steady- and supplying glucose to the brain, etc.

OP
S

stressless

One easy way to distinguish is by how picky you are.

1) REAL HUNGER
"I could eat just about anything right now". Usually you really feel the emptiness in your stomach, it would be growling and rumbling occasionally, and a wide variety of foods start to seem appetizing. If you get really hungry, it's also easy to overeat much past the point of satiety esp. if you eat too quickly, so waiting until you reach this level of hunger is probably not recommended, but getting halfway there should be fine.

2) HUNGER INDUCED BY BOREDOM/STRESS/FRUSTRATION/ETC.
Moreso a craving for the "feel-good" aspect of food rather than the nutrition it provides. Occurs mostly in the brain, without much sensation in the stomach. Usually involves wanting really fatty/sugary things like chocolate, candy, ice cream or w/e.

Emotional eating is very much a thing esp. if you feel like you want things that you know are not healthy, and there are no unique nutrients that couldn't be obtained from a better food. For example when you feel like you want to eat something because you are low on carbs, does eating a banana or an apple sound just as good as the thing you wanted to eat? If not, you're probably after the "fix" of eating that particular food, and not because of the nutrients.

This is a good distinction. I do notice that when I'm bored or haven't spent much time around people, I tend to want to eat something just for fun, but could never put it into words as you did.

I agree with you about finding a balance, if I'm at the point of "I could eat just about anything right now", I've probably waited too long to eat.

OP
S

stressless

You ask 4 questions.

In response to all 4- I will make a general statement.

In my experience: My own. Observing my children. And throughout the years with girlfriends...
I think hunger is just that. That you’re hungry and need more food

It’s a very healthy response.

At my sickest: I had no hunger cues. None.
I think you're right - now that you mention it, I do remember times when I had no appetite, these usually came when I was very depressed and it was hard to get out of bed.

I'll take this as a good sign! I'm hungry, but not craving unhealthy foods. I'm craving fruits and milk and coffee, which I guess is a good thing.

For you?
Bump up another 100-200 calories. Keeping your bs steady. Or simply eat to satiety. And that may differ day to day or week to week or even seasonally.
Thank you for the advice! I'll give this a try, I think even just 100 - 200 more calories will be enough to keep the hunger away.

More to say on all this. But it’s very late here.
Would love to hear anything else you have to say! Your advice seems very logical and practical :D

In response to the comment above:
Frustration or stressed/emotional eating is an intuitive way the body wants to self soothe or calm the stress response down.
It indeed may not be hunger driven as much as the body wanting to decrease the stress response and keep blood sugar steady- and supplying glucose to the brain, etc.
I think this is happening with me, I think the thing to remember is to eat something nutritious and healthy to give the brain what it needs (not what it thinks it needs like junk food)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals