How To Develop Mental Maturity (and Increase Salt Retention)?

lampofred

I think children's brains tend to be excitatory and with adulthood become more inhibitory. The good inhibition is driven by a change in GABA function whereas the "practical" and learned helpless type of "maturity" is driven by serotonin. Does anyone know what exactly causes the switch in GABA function from excitatory to inhibitory and why does that not happen to some people (for example, some people take Valerian, a GABA agonist, and experience agitation instead of sedation). I suspect that increased coffee & salt intake/retention may help but does anyone have any other ideas? How does one even increase salt retention aside from supplementing thyroid/progesterone?

Trying to increase healthy GABAergic inhibition without increasing serotonin-driven inhibition and just supplementing thyroid isn't working because it seems to be increasing growth but not function...

Constatine

I think androgens are largely responsible for that shift in gaba function.
Gaba's function is highly dependent upon glutamate and lowering excess brain glutamate can improve gaba function. In fact alcohol works partly by not just increasing gaba function but lowering glutamate as well.