How To Depufa Chicken

When making a chicken based broth, a lot of the fat rises to the top. Does anyone have an idea of what percentage of fat you can remove? If you could get it low enough, chicken doesn't seem like such a bad protein source. Low iron and far more digestible than beef. Remove skin and fat, leave bones, add chicken feet. Lots of gelatin and digestible protein. Did I forget any hidden dangers with chicken?

aguilaroja

embs2001 said:
When making a chicken based broth, a lot of the fat rises to the top. Does anyone have an idea of what percentage of fat you can remove? If you could get it low enough, chicken doesn't seem like such a bad protein source. Low iron and far more digestible than beef. Remove skin and fat, leave bones, add chicken feet. Lots of gelatin and digestible protein. Did I forget any hidden dangers with chicken?

My thoughts are similar. Since smaller scale chicken-raising is making a comeback, it's easier in many places to find hormone-free chicken. The growth hormones, antibiotics, offal feed, and stress hormones (over-crowding, etc.) of industrial raised chickens would all be concerning.

After removing skin and what fat I can cut off, I partially cook a chicken via pressure cooking or baking, eliminating additional fat.Then I finishing cooking by sauteeing slices or parts in coconut oil and pour off the excess, with the idea that remaining PUFA will blend in with the coconut oil to be poured off. Sometimes I repeat this step.

I cannot offer proof but by taste and impression, things feel good, are low oil and what oil remains is tastes coconut-y. After doing this a while, I heard mention that Dr. Peat occasionally cooks bacon and pours off oil and re-fries bacon in coconut oil to enjoy low PUFA bacon.

narouz

Don't know your location,
the chicken raising habits there,
but Peat noted that chickens in the USA
are most often walked through a chlorine foot bath before they are killed.
So...those chicken feet will be contaminated, he said.

I was bummed,
because chicken feet are an amazing and cheap way to get gelatin.

burtlancast

By experience, taste wise, there's a world of difference between a chicken left free to wander and feed himself vs industrial farmed chickens.

It's almost as a different animal species.
Draw your own conclusions.

L

Lord Cola

Regarding bacon, Dr. Peat said "I fry the bacon to remove some of the fat, and then refry it in coconut oil, to remove most of the PUFA."

Does anyone know why refrying the fried bacon in coconut oil would remove most of the PUFA? I understand that PUFA has a low melting point, so heating it would allow you to drain most of it, but how does refrying the already-fried bacon in coconut oil help further remove the PUFA?