How to deplete yourself of PUFA quickly and safely

Hans

Forum Supporter
Someone recently requested that I write a little somethin somethin on PUFA depletion. So I wrote this article about why it's a good idea to lower PUFA intake (most members of this forum know already), how to reduce it in the body and how to protect against it.

Let me know your thoughts.

PaRa

Great, thanks Hans

any idea if it’s possible to remove lipofuscin ? Topical vitamin E ? High doses oral vitamin E ? seems it’s no possible to get rid of these spots after they appeared

tho it seems that consuming w3 ALA doesn’t present as many issues than fish oils or others, and not enough w3 in rbc is bad as you mentioned in an other of your articles IIRC

see this from Zarrin :
I disagree. It is well kown that what plays out in-vitro doesn‘t necessarily occur in vivo, and much less, in humans. Many of the in-vitro studies used very large doses as well.

We cannot say that becuase something has a negative effect at very high (essentially non-physiological doses: How could you get 30-60 g of fish oil a day naturally?), that it is “bad” and should be avoided.

1-3g of fish oil a day has repeatedly shown beneficial effects in the highest quality of evidence: Human RCTs.

More food for thought: Mead acid has 3 double bonds, same as the omega 3 fatty acid ALA. Thus, it is JUST as susceptible to oxidation as ALA. Yet, administering ALA has shown neuroprotective effects again and again. This is likely partly becuase ALA (and the other omega 3s) can get non-enzymatically oxidized to *anti-inflammatory* oxylipins, which appears to benefits the body in low amounts.

The prostaglandins produced from EPA / DHA are also anti-inflammatory and *pro-resolving* in low amounts. Mead acid doesn’t do this, nor many of the other functions that omega 3s play a large role in.

Omega 3, In *normal* amounts, are not immunosuppresive:

“In our model, DHA/EPA (2:1) significantly improved the survival of mice after infection, which was associated with the acceleration of bacterial clearance and the resolution of inflammation leading to the improvement of pulmonary injuries.”
Impact of fish oils on the outcomes of a mouse model of acute Pseudomonas aeruginosa pulmonary infection - PubMed

“Mice fed HFD rich in omega-3 fatty acids had increased survival and decreased bacterial loads compared to those for mice fed HFD-S after S. aureus-induced sepsis. Furthermore, the bacterial load was decreased in resolvin-treated mice fed HFD-S [Saturated high fat diet] after S. aureus-induced sepsis compared with that in mice treated with vehicle.”
Dietary Omega-3 Fatty Acids Increase Survival and Decrease Bacterial Load in Mice Subjected to Staphylococcus aureus-Induced Sepsis

“In addition, herring oil, DHA, and EPA at 20 μg/ml significantly decreased the hemolytic effect of S. aureus on human red blood cells, and when pre-treated to S. aureus, the bacterium was more easily killed by human whole blood. Transcriptional analysis showed that herring oil, DHA, and EPA repressed the expression of the α-hemolysin hla gene. Furthermore, in a Caenorhabditis elegansnematode model, all three prolonged nematode survival in the presence of S. aureus. ”
Herring Oil and Omega Fatty Acids Inhibit Staphylococcus aureus Biofilm Formation and Virulence

I could keep going, but you get the point.

I like that Ray Peat has challenged the status quo and has had some great ideas (restricting omega 6 PUFA is fantastic, as an example). But he isn’t right about everything, and has clearly developed heavy biases.

reaching

Wouldn't cooked fatty fish already be oxidized technically? So why would they pose a risk if they are already "oxidized?" I'm not a chemist but just a thought.

RealNeat

Wouldn't cooked fatty fish already be oxidized technically? So why would they pose a risk if they are already "oxidized?" I'm not a chemist but just a thought.
No it keeps reacting, domino effect.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great, thanks Hans

any idea if it’s possible to remove lipofuscin ? Topical vitamin E ? High doses oral vitamin E ? seems it’s no possible to get rid of these spots after they appeared

tho it seems that consuming w3 ALA doesn’t present as many issues than fish oils or others, and not enough w3 in rbc is bad as you mentioned in an other of your articles IIRC

see this from Zarrin :
Peat has mentioned that vitamin E and a little bit of alcohol should be effective at getting rid of lipofuscin. I just don't know how effective it would be or how long it would take though. I think avoiding PUFA and iron (if it's already too high) are key to restoring a low inflammatory state, which should then be able to enhance proper cell cycles and mitochondrial biogenesis. I think this should also be able to get rid of lipofuscin. Just a theory, but that's typically what I see and experience.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
They in themselves are inflammatory as well.

PaRa

Peat has mentioned that vitamin E and a little bit of alcohol should be effective at getting rid of lipofuscin. I just don't know how effective it would be or how long it would take though. I think avoiding PUFA and iron (if it's already too high) are key to restoring a low inflammatory state, which should then be able to enhance proper cell cycles and mitochondrial biogenesis. I think this should also be able to get rid of lipofuscin. Just a theory, but that's typically what I see and experience.

ok
facts Are that I match the high pufa from young bc I was supplemented with pufa oils in my meals for calories (cystic fibrosis)

but I always struggled to absorb iron and If I lower my dietary iron I quickly Show iron deficiency symptoms that copper never helped but aggravated (on bloods I’m always iron deficient according to total iron markers panel, not just iron serum and top range copper, never had ceruloplasmin tested tho)

lipofuscin isn’t only with iron right ?
or just that iron goes where it doesn’t belongs but copper would have helped no ?

RealNeat

I see, interesting. So perhaps raw would be better in that sense, or it doesn't really matter either way?
Raw would preserve the Vitmain E better but that's not really the issue. The issue is that the body stores PUFA and liberates it at times of stress.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
ok
facts Are that I match the high pufa from young bc I was supplemented with pufa oils in my meals for calories (cystic fibrosis)

but I always struggled to absorb iron and If I lower my dietary iron I quickly Show iron deficiency symptoms that copper never helped but aggravated (on bloods I’m always iron deficient according to total iron markers panel, not just iron serum and top range copper, never had ceruloplasmin tested tho)

lipofuscin isn’t only with iron right ?
or just that iron goes where it doesn’t belongs but copper would have helped no ?
Lipofuscin is basically the result of dysfunction proteolysis. So it's a dysfunctional cell that accumulates heavy metals, especially iron.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals