How To Cook Prawn/shrimp?

lvysaur

You strike me as a dispassionate, logical type, who wants to self-educate, but I honestly would not recommend doing the Prometheus thing to anyone with a hypochrondriac bent, or who does not have a decent grasp of the way our genetics can play into our health. For someone who doesn't understand it's more about the environment than the genes, or who has a fatalistic attitude, something like Prometheus could be...well, let's say "problematic".

Ah, well that's very flattering, thanks.

I haven't even had my genome sequenced yet, so that's out of the question for me. And yes, I can see how many people would have their worldviews shattered by things like genetic testing.

omnivoracious

I get a big container of frozen tiger shrimp from Costco. They are already deveined and still have the shells on and have been salted. Once they are dethawed I boil them in water for three minutes, drain them and then run cold water over them for a few seconds to stop them from cooking further. If you don't do that last step they can turn rubbery. I also grill them but to be honest that's a lot of work and the grill gets nasty with all the shells getting burnt onto the grating. Another way I cook them is add them to seafood paella which is a favorite dish for my family. If you want to go the seafood paella route you can get a nice sized container of saffron for a reasonable price from Costco.

cyclops

Is it really important that shrimp be wild? If you only had accessed to farmed would you not choose to include them in your diet?

HDD

Is it really important that shrimp be wild? If you only had accessed to farmed would you not choose to include them in your diet?

“So what about like the farmed shrimp? Because there’s so many shrimps. Do – do you think farmed shrimp even have the minerals in them, why it’s good to eat shellfish?”

Speaker 3: No. The good thing about anything growing in the ocean is that it has access to selenium, iodine and other trace minerals. Where things grow inland, it depends on whatever is in the soil, so they’re often deficient in selenium and – and copper.

(Speaker 3 is Ray Peat)

Herb Doctors: Energy Production, Diabetes And Saturated Fats

cyclops

“So what about like the farmed shrimp? Because there’s so many shrimps. Do – do you think farmed shrimp even have the minerals in them, why it’s good to eat shellfish?”

Speaker 3: No. The good thing about anything growing in the ocean is that it has access to selenium, iodine and other trace minerals. Where things grow inland, it depends on whatever is in the soil, so they’re often deficient in selenium and – and copper.

(Speaker 3 is Ray Peat)

Herb Doctors: Energy Production, Diabetes And Saturated Fats

Thanks for this! Do you think this carries over to bivalves as well? I was under the impression that farmed oysters, clams, etc were just as good as wild because of how they normally live and grow.

HDD

Thanks for this! Do you think this carries over to bivalves as well? I was under the impression that farmed oysters, clams, etc were just as good as wild because of how they normally live and grow.
You’re welcome! That is my understanding about bivalves, too, but I’ll see if I can find a reference.

HDD

@cyclops Speaker 2: So farmed salmon, farm – any kind of farmed fish or farmed shellfish, they’ll all – well apart from oysters, they have to farm those in the ocean, I think. But...

Speaker 3: Yeah. they’ll all be – they’ll all be deficient then – then there’s actually no point eating them.

Speaker 3: Yeah. Unless people know exactly what they feed them and they probably don’t.

Still not clear...

cyclops

well apart from oysters, they have to farm those in the ocean, I think

Is that true? Are all oysters farmed in the ocean as the caller says?

I think Ray is pretty clear that if it wasn't grown in the ocean they are deficient.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals