How To Cook Liver So It Is Most Digestible And Easiest On The Stomach?

BearWithMe

How are you cooking liver to avoid digestion problems? Are you boiling it in the water or roasting on a bit of coconut oil maybie? Is it possible to do it without any oil? How long should the liver be cooked for the best digestion / absorbtion?

I would like to start with beef liver.

Last edited:
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Very low and very slow over 20+ minutes in butter or coconut oil. It will be very soft and easy to obliterate before swallowing it
Yeah, I remember eating liver from a restaurant, it was so incredibly soft and tender and easy to chew, exactly like you describe it. I never have managed to cook the liver so well, it always seems either undercooked or overcooked / dry / hard. Will try cooking it on low heat for a long time, thank you!

Luckytype

Yeah, I remember eating liver from a restaurant, it was so incredibly soft and tender and easy to chew, exactly like you describe it. I never have managed to cook the liver so well, it always seems either undercooked or overcooked / dry / hard. Will try cooking it on low heat for a long time, thank you!
I feel like cooking in a lot of butter made a huge difference.

Also, mine was sliced thin and taken from the fridge before, so still a little cool before added to the pan. I would cook on super low until i saw the edges tan a little, then add a bit more butter and flip the sides

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I feel like cooking in a lot of butter made a huge difference.

Also, mine was sliced thin and taken from the fridge before, so still a little cool before added to the pan. I would cook on super low until i saw the edges tan a little, then add a bit more butter and flip the sides
Yes, I have suspected that... Unfortunately. my gallbladder can't handle too much oil these days (have eated this delicious liver in restaurant before my health went downhill). Will try to find sweet spot between beef liver softness and my gallbladder tolerance.

Awesome cooking advice, thank you!

theLaw

This is going to sound disgusting, but as a person who detests the taste of liver, it works for me:

4 ounces of beef liver

12 ounces of coke/pepsi

Mix in high-end blender for 1 min, then strain to catch any large pieces.

The coke/pepsi flavor actually covers the liver pretty well, so it's just like a thick soda shake.

Also, chocolate and coffee cover the taste even better.

Luckytype

This is going to sound disgusting, but as a person who detests the taste of liver, it works for me:

4 ounces of beef liver

12 ounces of coke/pepsi

Mix in high-end blender for 1 min, then strain to catch any large pieces.

The coke/pepsi flavor actually covers the liver pretty well, so it's just like a thick soda shake.

Also, chocolate and coffee cover the taste even better.

Oddly before i got comfortable with the taste of liver I used to blend it in with coffee and just slug it down. I still cant deal with the taste of liver and foam from soda, I would absolutely gag on that.

Things like bbq sauce cover it nicely though if i cant eat it straight up

miki14

Beef liver is tough !! Lamb & calf liver is easier to eat than beef liver. Chicken liver is easy to eat too. I prefer liver raw, dried for one day maybe.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I know I'm weird but I actually enjoy the taste of liver very much. :grinning: I'm having mild nausea / bloating after eating it, so I'm looking for the most stomach - friendly recipe to ease my digestive issues.

YourUniverse

I know I'm weird but I actually enjoy the taste of liver very much. :grinning: I'm having mild nausea / bloating after eating it, so I'm looking for the most stomach - friendly recipe to ease my digestive issues.
Have you tried soaking it in milk over night? Thats the traditional way of preparing liver

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Have you tried soaking it in milk over night? Thats the traditional way of preparing liver
No, I haven't! Just did some googling, this seems like great idea. Will try this today, thank you!

Waremu

If digestion over taste is your main concern, then a slow cooker or insta pot/pressure cooker is your best friend. That goes for all organ meats as well, actually. And over all, it is my preferred way to cook meat I eat in general, as I think it's healthier than grilling meat (you retain the juices and more of the potassium and creatine as well).

Linbaba

If digestion over taste is your main concern, then a slow cooker or insta pot/pressure cooker is your best friend. That goes for all organ meats as well, actually. And over all, it is my preferred way to cook meat I eat in general, as I think it's healthier than grilling meat (you retain the juices and more of the potassium and creatine as well).
How long do you (slow-)cook it for? I have been looking for a way to slowcook liver, but haven't found anything. Every time I fry it it ends up with the consistency of a shoe sole and I have to chew it forever (disgusting) before I can swallow it down.

Dave Clark

This might sound like an obvious response, but have you tried using a good digestive enzyme supplement that helps break down fats and proteins? It may not solve your problem, but I am sure it will help if you get a good strong enzyme. Also, you might have low stomach acid, so a good betaine/pepsin supplement will help, start with one cap and go from there based on how your stomach feels. Additionally, digestive bitters will help the digestion process and help the gall bladder, etc.

Waremu

How long do you (slow-)cook it for? I have been looking for a way to slowcook liver, but haven't found anything. Every time I fry it it ends up with the consistency of a shoe sole and I have to chew it forever (disgusting) before I can swallow it down.

I have slow cooked mine overnight. So try that and see how you like it. If it's not good enough for you, then try slow cooking it overnight + all day until noon or evening. Make soak it in vinegar the night before to soften it up more as well.

marcar72

I eat my liver raw first meal of the day (breakfast) with some unbuffered OJ to create an extra acidic stomach. It's probably best to ensure that it's been frozen for a couple weeks to kill off any possible parasites to be on the safe side. To me liver tastes best raw.

I just take a mostly frozen 4 oz piece and shred it up pretty good with a fork and steak knife. Then I shovel it in my pie hole and sort of gnaw on it awhile so it warms up a bit and sends whatever signal it needs to my stomach. Then I gulp it down with a nice sized swig of the OJ!! Rinse and repeat! It's really quite palatable this way. :2cents:

tygertgr

Nando's Peri Peri chicken livers about every 1.5 weeks for lunch. I'm sure they're drenched in PUFA but I don't care.

Sourcing fresh liver that tastes good is quite difficult. I've made pates and other dishes in the past and it's just not worth the effort. I can't justify the hassle. What Nando's serves is good. Otherwise I would buy pig liverwurst from a good deli and eat it in sandwiches more often. Again, probably loaded with PUFA and maybe gums, but a couple times a week isn't going to kill anyone.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals