How To Control PUFAs For Babies?

Elvie

How do you control PUFA for kids? One spoon of butter = 4 gr of PUFA, milk =3 gr, low fat milk= 1.5 gr. , cheese ~ 3 -4 gr. When these are the main ingredients at this phase of life, it seems like an unrealistic task to accomplish. Any suggestions are appreciated as always. Thank you.

schultz

I think you forgot decimal places on those numbers. A TBSP of butter is 0.4g of PUFA.

Just have them avoid the obvious things and follow the general advice people give around here. Vegetable oils for example: Compared to that 0.4g of PUFA from butter, a TBSP of safflower oil has 10.2g, 25 times more PUFA. Eating like the general public can have you racking up the PUFA quite quickly.

A big bag of potato chips (Lays, 235g bag) has 25g of PUFA.
A medium order of McDonalds french fries has 7.5g of PUFA
A Bigmac has 7g of PUFA
A TBSP of peanut butter has 1.6g, and people tend to eat more than just a TBSP.
20 Goldfish crackers has 0.8g PUFA. A child would be much better off getting an egg, which has around the same as those 20 crackers, but also has a lot of nutrients.

wow people could be getting 50+ grams a day! Not hard to figure out why there is a health epidemic...

Just avoiding the foods with added vegetable oil (mayonnaise for example) is a humongous step in the right direction. On top of that avoiding nuts, seeds and fatty non-ruminant meats is even better.

tca300

I feed my daughters goat milk, grass fed cow milk/cheese, high water content/sugary fruits ( oranges, watermelon, grapes) liver, mushrooms, sometimes make chocolate ice cream, eggs, occasional well cooked broccoli with some cheese for taste.

I think the most important thing you can do for growing humans is feed them very nutrient dense foods with low PUFA. Doing extreme experaments like on the forum, or like what I do, is for grown adults, who are not dependent on the good decision making of their caretakers.

The small amounts of PUFA stored during early childhood will be safely burned as they grow ( high metabolism )

I just stick to the lower PUFA, nutrient dense, easy to digest foods.

Ella

low fat milk= 1.5 gr.
Formula milk is the biggest contributor of pufas, so avoiding it like the plague along with other fortified foods for baby and children an enormous benefit in safeguarding their health going forward.

No need to fear full-cream for children as the fat in milk is beneficial for many reasons, retinol, fat soluble vitamins, conjugated linoleic acid etc.

The small amounts of PUFA stored during early childhood will be safely burned as they grow ( high metabolism )

tac300 excellent and I see they are eating liver too. Great job!!!

Doing extreme experaments like on the forum, or like what I do, is for grown adults, who are not dependent on the good decision making of their caretakers.

Wish I was seeing more parents like this :(

Elvie

Thank you.
Formula milk is the biggest contributor of pufas, so avoiding it like the plague along with other fortified foods for baby and children an enormous benefit in safeguarding their health going forward.

No need to fear full-cream for children as the fat in milk is beneficial for many reasons, retinol, fat soluble vitamins, conjugated linoleic acid etc.

tac300 excellent and I see they are eating liver too. Great job!!!

Wish I was seeing more parents like this :(
hank

Elvie

I feed my daughters goat milk, grass fed cow milk/cheese, high water content/sugary fruits ( oranges, watermelon, grapes) liver, mushrooms, sometimes make chocolate ice cream, eggs, occasional well cooked broccoli with some cheese for taste.

I think the most important thing you can do for growing humans is feed them very nutrient dense foods with low PUFA. Doing extreme experaments like on the forum, or like what I do, is for grown adults, who are not dependent on the good decision making of their caretakers.

I just stick to the lower PUFA, nutrient dense, easy to digest foods.
Thank you.

Elvie

I think you forgot decimal places on those numbers. A TBSP of butter is 0.4g of PUFA.

Just have them avoid the obvious things and follow the general advice people give around here. Vegetable oils for example: Compared to that 0.4g of PUFA from butter, a TBSP of safflower oil has 10.2g, 25 times more PUFA. Eating like the general public can have you racking up the PUFA quite quickly.

A big bag of potato chips (Lays, 235g bag) has 25g of PUFA.
A medium order of McDonalds french fries has 7.5g of PUFA
A Bigmac has 7g of PUFA
A TBSP of peanut butter has 1.6g, and people tend to eat more than just a TBSP.
20 Goldfish crackers has 0.8g PUFA. A child would be much better off getting an egg, which has around the same as those 20 crackers, but also has a lot of nutrients.

wow people could be getting 50+ grams a day! Not hard to figure out why there is a health epidemic...

Just avoiding the foods with added vegetable oil (mayonnaise for example) is a humongous step in the right direction. On top of that avoiding nuts, seeds and fatty non-ruminant meats is even better.
Thank you. Always lots of valuable info!

Ella

For many 50 + grams is not enough, they go and supplement with fish oils and other "essential" FFAs and blame sugar and fructose for all the modern ills we see today.

Aymen

Hey , most mothers are feeding their babies Formula milk ( aka milk from pharmacy ) and my mother was one of them , when i asked her why she didn't feed me cow milk when i was a baby , she said it's dangerous to health if you feed a baby cow or goat milk ) before he reaches age 1 , maybe she got this information from a doctor or someone else , but i was wondering since then about the safety of formula milk to babies , what will happen if the mother feed her baby cow or goat milk when he is under age 1 ( honey and fruits too ) , what was your experience ? and what are the safest food for a child ?

fradon

How do you control PUFA for kids? One spoon of butter = 4 gr of PUFA, milk =3 gr, low fat milk= 1.5 gr. , cheese ~ 3 -4 gr. When these are the main ingredients at this phase of life, it seems like an unrealistic task to accomplish. Any suggestions are appreciated as always. Thank you.

you may not want to if you want them to be tall. in a study children fed pufa/margarine compared to just butter were two inches taller as PUFA lowers T and raises estrogen and growth hormone. the pufa in butter is most likely not oxidized compared to oils.