How to contact Ray Peat

Nstocks

Hello,

I'm trying to contact Ray Peat for advice on my mild acne which never seems to clear up. I've been through all the diets, cleanses, lotions, potions, supplements and other lifestyle changes but everyday I'm still very upset that I don't have clear skin.

I've never contacted Peat before, but it's getting to a point where I have no idea what to do next. I haven't found Peats's email address and when searching I've just been linked to an old post about a form on his website. (that is no longer there)

I would appreciate it very much if someone could kindly help me out.

Thanks

Gl;itch.e

So you've tried zinc and vitamin A for instance in varying amounts?

Do you notice any particular foods/supplements make it better or worse?

OP
N

Nstocks

Yep I've tried those which are currently the only supplement in addition to Thyroid that I'm taking. Also eating raw liver in small quantities a few times per week. It's hard to say if anything in particular causes breakouts. My diet is pretty much the same as it was 6 months ago, digestion still an issue even with very little startch. Part of me wants to quit Greek yogurt incase it's causing my constipation, but without it my protein would need to be from meat which isn't any easier to digest. I'm also on zero topical skin are since they just mess up the balance (shave with double edge razor and aloe Vera gel... I tend to get acne only where I shave, but a no shaving experiment a few months ago didn't reduce breakouts)

OP
N

Nstocks

Could someone ease PM me the email. I'm really fed up with acne

Velve921

I would be interested in contacting Ray Peat as well..anyone have his email? I have a severe urination issue and through 4 months of peating my progress has been minimal.

OP
N

Nstocks

I've been taking garlic for that (and bloating and constipation) but it didn't change how I felt. (5 raw cloves for two weeks).

I'm now taking 5 drops of oregano oil to see if that will help. I'm also going to start using products. - African black soap and Shea butter. I will Lao be changing the type of razor blade I use since 90% of breakouts are in the areas I shave. A beard trimmer dosent work for me and long hire tend to become infected more deeply.

PeaterPan

Well there are a lot of different bacterias in the gut, so garlic alone won't make much sense, try to study gut flora issues, fermentation. I don't have acne but i have psoriasis and my skin start aching, my eyebrows become very weak when i eat any starch, probably i have gut issues too.

Attacking it from the outside seems like a short term poor solution, it could be helpful if complemented with a specific diet, attacking it from the inside and from the outside.

OP
N

Nstocks

External products aren't the cure, but I think there is something that can be done since I only get acne where I shave. I've been changing my diet for the past 5 years... Skin hasn't changed. I too feel worse eating startch but without some brown rice or potatoes now and then, my food will be very boring and I would be consuming too many liquids. I forgot to add (and gross you all out), that a few times per week I have to manually remove waste. Yup, it's exactly how it sounds... Waste is always different "types" - manual is when it's small, very dark and very hard. When I go naturally it's lighter in colour and has a smoother and formed appearance.

I've tried all sorts of probiotics too but then generally bloat me and that's all. (goat milk kefir, sauerkraut, kombucha, bio cult plus things like brewers yeast, psyllium husks, digestive enzymes, magnesium, zinc and apple cider vinegar every morning etc.) I also still make bone broth with organic grass fed sources but that doesn't make any difference either. I wonder if coconut water kefir is worth a try, though I have 15 pints of raw organic goat milk in the freezer I could use, though it would be high in lactic acid. I've looked at having my gut tested privately with a stool sample, but it's expensive and if it comes back "OK", I'm no better off.

Lance12

I have the same problem with acne, it's definitely a hormone issue. And ray said your skin is also a reflection of your intestine, so if you have to shovel out your own poo then you have a serious problem with your sphincter/ bowl or something... I would say avoid putting stuff in there and maybe do some kegels to help the muscle recover, or you may need some other medical intervention, possibly surgery. That's jut my bro science though. I would avoid all that fermented stuff, Peat avoids it too. He also mentioned endotoxins. You might want to try antibiotics to clean all that junk out, you might have candida too or maybe a parasite.

I do some baking soda in the morning for candida/ and or extra carbon dioxide, a carrot salad(grated carrot, coconut oil, vinegar) a few minutes after the baking soda, it's natural antibiotic, seems to work because I haven't had that many breakouts since I started a week or so ago. I also do Epsom salt baths that really seem to help, should try it every day for about two weeks. Really helps with stress and kill the stuff crawling on your skin like candida. Stress is a big factor in a lot of illness that you probably don't even realize you're under. If you have the scum on your tongue its probably some candida or endotoxin. Aspirin can help rebalanced your hormones buy removing some estrogen, which is hormone related. You will probably have to do the bath, baking soda for a long time to keep the candida at bay while your system rebuilds and removes poly from your system.

Also, the intestine has a lot to do with the hormones and I guess the grated carrot salad helps to mop out the excess estrogen's. All starches can feed the bacteria in the gut, so if you fart or something then something is probably being fed or you have a food intolerance. You should be cleaning stuff out until the acne clears, or your tongue clears, so I would probably avoid potatoes unless they are well cooked and cooked in coconut oil, but i'm probably just gonna avoid them too. But I think the carrot just takes longer to work, rather than medical grade stuff. Before I read about Ray, I woulda said avoid antibiotics, but since this diet is what you need to maintain everything, then the band aid like effect of antibiotic would be ok, because they are not a cure in itself, it's the lifestyle.

I would avoid putting any cosmetic or thing like proactive on your face, just gonna add up more estrogen from the chemical damage. You could try the Aztec clay mask once a day too, it's Bentonite clay and real cheap on Amazon. Mix with apple cider vinegar and the clay, it almost looks like pudding from a spa. Leave on for 5-10 mins and then take a shower to get it off. I do that sometimes before I shower and it seems to help. Probably don't use the clay every day, or as needed.

I would say avoid the yogurt because it's hard on the kidneys and ray avoids it too. For protein things like shrimp are good 2 times a week or so. Gelatin is suppose to do wonders for hair, nails and skin. Supposedly does wonders for the intestine too, you can find some here on the supplement thread. I just started the gelatin too. Oxtail is really good for gelatin, just made some in the slow cooker the other day and it was great. Put it in the fridge overnight or something so the gelatin has time to form.

I would avoid bananas too. Since I stopped eating them the acne on my forehead has gone, but I still have some around my jaw and side of mouth. It seems to be getting better, but I still have a plaque tongue too. Maybe need to do 2 carrot salads, one in the morning and night. Although sometimes my tongue looks real pink and clean, sometimes not, I think it just takes some research and time. I listened to just about every youtube video he has, but i'm new here myself too.

Progest- E was a real breakthrough for me, but it has only been two days. I guess it can really balance the hormonal damage(estrogen trapped in cells from stress,tussue dmg). Ray also said that red light, progesterone, and thyroid were 3 big factors for healing the metabolism, aka body. So maybe try some progest-E, glandular thyroid, going for a walk and getting some sunlight or one of them red light lamps.

Also, the thing is with protein, it needs to be good quality for your liver to detox the estrogen, so you need one of the proteins from Rays recommendations, so the yogurt isn't going to cut it. Also why I broke out every time I did raw vegan because the raw vegetables irritated my intestine(cooked doesn't but I guess you don't need but a cup a day, or maybe none at all if you have enough magnesium/vitamin K) and I didn't have enough protein to detox the estrogen, and because of the pufa from the nuts, and the allergy to bananas. Something about overproduction of bananas and other common fruit make them allergenic. It was a real mess. I did a allergy test to see what I was allergic too and bananas were one, so I mostly do OJ because it's cheep and sometimes i'll eat normal oranges or the fruit he recommends for something solid. So I would try fruit/milk/eggs/shrimp/oxtail/other animal protein, but no more than 200g of animal protein I would say, also gelatin is good to.

It's important to rotate foods and not eat the same thing every day, except maybe milk and OJ. Although I am limiting milk to about 4 cups of lowfat 1% because the test I did said I have a low reaction to it, but I guess it's ok if you have enough sugar with it. Maybe someone could answer that for me? about how much milk if allergenic. Although lowfat milk did bother me, whole milk didn't. I did whole for about a week and switched back to lowfat, because I was gaining weight, and my stomach wasn't making anymore weird noises or having me go to the bathroom quickly. As for cheese it doesn't seem to work for me, probably because I don't live in Europe, or can't find any without enzymes, so I avoid it.

Also you are gonna wanna combine foods and not do mono meals so your stool becomes thick like a log, probably will help it come out for you. So eat some fruit with your meat, and possibly drink milk your food. frozen fruit milkshakes are amazing. I think they want starches mixed with protein but not sure. But I guess food doesn't digest well unless it has carbs sugar and protein with it. The process makes the stool look brown and a bit more well formed, reducing irritation on the bowl and so less serotonin.

Oh yea, and I would probably stop all your supplements in pill form that require you to ingest them internally because they contain fillers like, cellulose, silica, stearate, that can irritate the intestine and that's not what you want for your acne at this stage. You gotta heal it back up first to tolerate more stuff I suppose. I would probably ditch the zinc, because you are gonna get enough from your food if you do eat the animal protein,200g or so. And the magnesium bath(epsom salt) will give you magnesium a lot better because it comes in through the skin. A great site on here is Idea labs, I like how they made all their supps external like peat recommends. Even progest - E is is somewhat external, add to lips and gums.

Anyway, it seems the progesterone has turned me into a maniac after only 2 days of use by having me write you this long **** post. Hope this helps or maybe someone can correct me too because I have not talked with Peat, just listened to his videos, done some looking on this forum and his website.

OP
N

Nstocks

Thank you very much for the post. I've responded to some of the comments and I know my diet still needs work to heal my gut. Food is still a something of a problem for me but I've really tried change things up this past week and track everything on Cron-O-Meter which is very helpful.

Lance12 said:
I have the same problem with acne, it's definitely a hormone issue. And ray said your skin is also a reflection of your intestine, so if you have to shovel out your own poo then you have a serious problem with your sphincter/ bowl or something... I would say avoid putting stuff in there and maybe do some kegels to help the muscle recover, or you may need some other medical intervention, possibly surgery. That's jut my bro science though. I would avoid all that fermented stuff, Peat avoids it too. He also mentioned endotoxins. You might want to try antibiotics to clean all that junk out, you might have candida too or maybe a parasite.

I'm 100% certain my skin (and breathing issues/hyperventerlation/running on adrenaline) stem from poor gut health. I've had issues with my gut since before my Paleo experiment almost 6 years ago. I tried every supplement, herbal remedy and fermented food/drink but nothing seemed to help.

I find that cascara can help with a BM (usually dhiorrea) and I don't take it anymore.Same thing with magnesium powder. I took a course of antibiotics for 2 weeks (my Brother gave them to me after our useless Doctor prescribed them for a common cold) - I didn't feel any different, though it was probably too short of a time. Around 2 years ago I did a "candida diet" (low carb with psyllium husk and herbal teas) which helped clear my mind but no my skin.

Lance12 said:
I do some baking soda in the morning for candida/ and or extra carbon dioxide, a carrot salad(grated carrot, coconut oil, vinegar) a few minutes after the baking soda, it's natural antibiotic, seems to work because I haven't had that many breakouts since I started a week or so ago. I also do Epsom salt baths that really seem to help, should try it every day for about two weeks. Really helps with stress and kill the stuff crawling on your skin like candida. Stress is a big factor in a lot of illness that you probably don't even realize you're under. If you have the scum on your tongue its probably some candida or endotoxin. Aspirin can help rebalanced your hormones buy removing some estrogen, which is hormone related. You will probably have to do the bath, baking soda for a long time to keep the candida at bay while your system rebuilds and removes poly from your system.

I've been adding baking soda for the past few months to my OJ to help balance the acids and started the carrot salad again this week. I'll remember to take the epsom salt baths more frequently too, perhaps with some baking soda for added benefit.

Lance12 said:
Also, the intestine has a lot to do with the hormones and I guess the grated carrot salad helps to mop out the excess estrogen's. All starches can feed the bacteria in the gut, so if you fart or something then something is probably being fed or you have a food intolerance. You should be cleaning stuff out until the acne clears, or your tongue clears, so I would probably avoid potatoes unless they are well cooked and cooked in coconut oil, but i'm probably just gonna avoid them too. But I think the carrot just takes longer to work, rather than medical grade stuff. Before I read about Ray, I woulda said avoid antibiotics, but since this diet is what you need to maintain everything, then the band aid like effect of antibiotic would be ok, because they are not a cure in itself, it's the lifestyle.

Starches can sometime give me extreme bloating, but if I reduce starch and more foods, I consume many litres of liquid which equally make me bloated.

Lance12 said:
I would avoid putting any cosmetic or thing like proactive on your face, just gonna add up more estrogen from the chemical damage. You could try the Aztec clay mask once a day too, it's Bentonite clay and real cheap on Amazon. Mix with apple cider vinegar and the clay, it almost looks like pudding from a spa. Leave on for 5-10 mins and then take a shower to get it off. I do that sometimes before I shower and it seems to help. Probably don't use the clay every day, or as needed.

I've given up the occasional aspirin / oil / aloe and I'm just going to use cool water and a soft cloth to slough off dead cells. The aztec clay made my skin soft when I used it religiously to control breakouts, but overtime it irritated my skin; another product in the bin.

Lance12 said:
I would say avoid the yogurt because it's hard on the kidneys and ray avoids it too. For protein things like shrimp are good 2 times a week or so. Gelatin is suppose to do wonders for hair, nails and skin. Supposedly does wonders for the intestine too, you can find some here on the supplement thread. I just started the gelatin too. Oxtail is really good for gelatin, just made some in the slow cooker the other day and it was great. Put it in the fridge overnight or something so the gelatin has time to form.

Greek yogurt is OK with me right now. I mean, most foods/drinks give me poor digestion anyway but with yogurt I'm getting a good source of minerals and carbs when I add honey. It's perhaps not great quality but again, if I remove this I would rely on a huge amount of liquids.

Gelatine (gummy bears or great lakes) gives me stomach cramps. Perhaps I will look into bone broth but it's more liquids.

Lance12 said:
Progest- E was a real breakthrough for me, but it has only been two days. I guess it can really balance the hormonal damage(estrogen trapped in cells from stress,tussue dmg). Ray also said that red light, progesterone, and thyroid were 3 big factors for healing the metabolism, aka body. So maybe try some progest-E, glandular thyroid, going for a walk and getting some sunlight or one of them red light lamps.

I feel Protest - E is the "last" supplent I have yet to try. I've just started on a quarter of a grain Cynoplus (I'm also tracking my waking temp). This may be incorrect but I read somewhere progesterone can worsen acne so I'm reluctant to take it.

Lance12 said:
Also, the thing is with protein, it needs to be good quality for your liver to detox the estrogen, so you need one of the proteins from Rays recommendations, so the yogurt isn't going to cut it. Also why I broke out every time I did raw vegan because the raw vegetables irritated my intestine(cooked doesn't but I guess you don't need but a cup a day, or maybe none at all if you have enough magnesium/vitamin K) and I didn't have enough protein to detox the estrogen, and because of the pufa from the nuts, and the allergy to bananas. Something about overproduction of bananas and other common fruit make them allergenic. It was a real mess. I did a allergy test to see what I was allergic too and bananas were one, so I mostly do OJ because it's cheep and sometimes i'll eat normal oranges or the fruit he recommends for something solid. So I would try fruit/milk/eggs/shrimp/oxtail/other animal protein, but no more than 200g of animal protein I would say, also gelatin is good to.

Increasing my protein intake (100 - 150g per day) has provided some me with some energy and feeling of 'togetherness'. It comes from fish and greek yogurt mostly.

Lance12 said:
It's important to rotate foods and not eat the same thing every day, except maybe milk and OJ.

I've always struggled with this. I remember eating the same green smoothie every morning for 2 years!!! (avocado, spinach and ginger :?). Even with Peat I find it quite restrictive and my staples are OJ, greek yogurt and most recently dates - which have yet to make me poop!

Lance12 said:
frozen fruit milkshakes are amazing.

This is potentially something I can do to reduce greek yogurt intake. Perhaps add some organic milk powder for the protein?

Oh yea, and I would probably stop all your supplements in pill form that require you to ingest them internally because they contain fillers like, cellulose, silica, stearate, that can irritate the intestine and that's not what you want for your acne at this stage. You gotta heal it back up first to tolerate more stuff I suppose. I would probably ditch the zinc, because you are gonna get enough from your food if you do eat the animal protein,200g or so. And the magnesium bath(epsom salt) will give you magnesium a lot better because it comes in through the skin. A great site on here is Idea labs, I like how they made all their supps external like peat recommends. Even progest - E is is somewhat external, add to lips and gums.[/quote]

All I take now is Thorne Vit D/K2 and Cynoplus.

Guess what he is going to tell you: eat liver and grated carrots.

OP
N

Nstocks

Perhaps, but that's not a solution for the bulk of the diet.

Is there any preference on how to eat the liver? I find cutting it into pill fixed pieces and swallowing it frozen is most convenient.

But why bother the man if it isn't a solution?

Nstocks said:
Is there any preference on how to eat the liver? I find cutting it into pill fixed pieces and swallowing it frozen is most convenient.

I cook it and blend it with milk :eek:

OP
N

Nstocks

Would it be a bad idea to eat non organic, non grass fed supermarket livers? I normally buy organic GF liver, but with delivery it's going to cost around £18! It's about 1/10 of that cost in the supermarket; I'm just paranoid about the quality.

tara

Nstocks said:
Would it be a bad idea to eat non organic, non grass fed supermarket livers? I normally buy organic GF liver, but with delivery it's going to cost around £18! It's about 1/10 of that cost in the supermarket; I'm just paranoid about the quality.
I get organic when I easily can, and supermarket liver otherwise. I think I benefit from either, but sometimes I think I can tell the organic tastes a bit better. My guess is it's a relatively small quality diference, wrt getting the nutrients you want out of it. I think freshness might be the more important parameter. If it looks greyish, it's probably past it's best. If it looks good and fresh, that'd be a good sign. Since yo are on a tight budget, I'd save the money for other food you need.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Such_Saturation said:

You cook it and then blend it in the blender with milk?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Such_Saturation said:
Charlie said:
Such_Saturation said:

You cook it and then blend it in the blender with milk?

Yes the taste is quite mellow.

Trying to wrap my head around that. Does not compute. :lol: