How To Change Your Mind:a Book Review

BingDing

How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence
by Michael Pollan

A very good read, with some ties into RP's ideas. Pollan is an excellent writer IMO and all of his books that I have read have been very good.

In part a history of psychedelics, there is a lot I didn't know about. For instance there were multiple research projects from the '50s up till '66 when LSD was banned, and even beyond. Many hundreds of people got their first trips this way. And research has started again in recent years, focusing on therapy for terminal cancer patients, addiction and depression. They have used psilocybin rather than LSD to avoid the baggage LSD carries. Several stage 1 and stage 2 trials have been successful and a stage 3 trial is ongoing. If that is successful it is possible that psilocybin will be legalized and doctors can prescribe it.

In part an inquiry into what tripping really is. The participants in the studies were given a chance to talk about and integrate their experience, and filled out questionnaires. Many, if not most, reported at least one of dissolution of the ego and the self, an awareness of a universal consciousness, a profound sense of connectedness to others and to nature, and a sense that love is the underlying basis of everything. Pretty heady stuff.

In part a discussion about brains. I might not have fully understood this part so I am not relating it. If anyone else reads the book I'd welcome comments.

I recalled one of my most dramatic experiences with psychedelics. A buddy and I went to a Further Festival in NJ one weekend and ate a bunch of mushrooms. Not much happened that night. But a week later we went to see Leftover Salmon at Wolf Trapp near home. The music lifted me out of my chair, out of myself. Ineffable means it can't be expressed in words and that is what it was. It was the best music I've ever heard.

In my opinion, everyone deserves to have an experience like that!!

From the department of interesting factoids:

Bill W., the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, used belladonna in the 1930s and had a profound, transcendent experience. That is the source of the "higher power" in AA. Sheds a whole new light on the AA rap, if you ask me.

Cheers, BD

Arnold Grape

Huh — when does Idealabs come out with the micro dose kit and I’m there? For real, though, what is the best avenue for seeking this out?

boris

Psychedelics are not some kind of wonder medicine as studies and mainstream media portray it. It all depends on the preexisting mindset or your mindset during and after the experience.

What they do is open up the thalamus, so whatever message you receive or tell yourself will be immensely potentiated. Without proper guidance and precautions it can seriously backfire.

Never take them when you are in a bad state. Never take them when you are depressed or otherwise sick/compromised without a mental health professional to guide you during the experience and the weeks after. The psychedelic effects (increased receptivity) can last for various days after the experience without you realizing, so a negative experience accompanied by a negative mindset can quickly spiral out of control.

Be safe.

LUH 3417

Psychedelics are not some kind of wonder medicine as studies and mainstream media portray it. It all depends on the preexisting mindset or your mindset during and after the experience.

What they do is open up the thalamus, so whatever message you receive or tell yourself will be immensely potentiated. Without proper guidance and precautions it can seriously backfire.

Never take them when you are in a bad state. Never take them when you are depressed or otherwise sick/compromised without a mental health professional to guide you during the experience and the weeks after. The psychedelic effects (increased receptivity) can last for various days after the experience without you realizing, so a negative experience accompanied by a negative mindset can quickly spiral out of control.

Be safe.
That’s very true. You can have very profound experiences. The sky can open up and the clouds can dance for you, but it can also quickly turn terrifying. Also having these immensely beautiful and wonderful experiences does not make you immune to depression. It’s not a magic pill or quick fix that just makes everything incredible again. You can quickly return to your pre psychedelic depressed state a few weeks after the trip.

OP
BingDing

BingDing

My thesis is that being able to grasp the idea of being free is substantially the same thing as actually being free. There is no difference between the two.

Psychedelic drugs are a minor, though interesting, part of the journey. Being able to think for yourself is the point.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals