How to Build Your Own Vitamin D Lamp (testing included)

itchaboyagain

Hey there! After recently purchasing and testing the Sperti vitamin d lamp, I decided to have a go at building my own, and boy am I glad I did.

This build incorporates four 54w dragon D3 bulbs made by Arcadia. Testing was done using a UVA, UVB, UVC, and UVI meter to compare the DIY output to Spertis.

The DIY setup produces far more UVB and UVA than Spertis at half the cost. It’s also quite a bit safer to use as well according to the UVB to UVI ratio.

Here’s a link to the full build article for those interested.

We’ve been using this for about a month now and it feels great to use, much better than the Sperti lamp in my opinion. Genuinely feels like basking in sunlight.

So anyways, just wanted to out this out there in case anyone else was interested in building one of these, now you can!

CastorTroy

I definitely wouldn't go with a lamp like this for vitamin D. You need to use narrowband lights if you want to reap UVB benefits while minimize skin aging. And ideally paired with red light bulbs, like 5 RL bulbs per 1 NB.

Either way, nothing feels like sunbathing.

Last edited:
OP
itchaboyagain

itchaboyagain

I definitely wouldn't go with a lamp like this for vitamin D. You need to use narrowband lights if you want to reap UVB benefits while minimize skin aging. And ideally paired with red light bulbs, like 5 RL bulbs per 1 NB.

Either way, nothing feels like sunbathing.
Sure narrowband works. But it also bypasses the regulating properties of UVA, as well as nitric oxide, etc.

Also, if you're concerned about photoaging, don't ever go outside, but that doesn't seem like a great way to live. I have yet to see a healthy centenarian without photoaged skin.

joaquin

I'm interested in this and may just build one. If I do I will let you know how it turns out.

CastorTroy

Sure narrowband works. But it also bypasses the regulating properties of UVA, as well as nitric oxide, etc.

Also, if you're concerned about photoaging, don't ever go outside, but that doesn't seem like a great way to live. I have yet to see a healthy centenarian without photoaged skin.

If you want the nitric oxide effects, I'd go with any route else available, like citrulline containing foods. Or better, with actions that improve mitochondrial respiration that diminishes the need for nitric oxide. Remember this is mostly an emergency aid for when it's needed.

I didn't talk about photoaging, but minimizing skin and collagen structure damage while getting the most from synthesizing provitamin D in your skin. Avoiding any sun exposure doesn't imply less skin aging, you're dead wrong here. Depending on variables like solar spectrum, fluence dose and skin type among others, the net benefit on the skin can greatly vary, from positive to disastrous. For example, you can sunbath in the sun at times when irradiance is lower and red/NIF light are proportionally the highest to UV. There are numerous studies showing skin appearance improving in these conditions. Even there you get a tiny amount of UVA if you're interested on its nitric oxide effects. Out of this scenario, you don't want any artificial UVA emiting light if, as I said, you're looking for vitamin d synthesis while minimizing skin damage.

joaquin

The more I look into this the more interesting it becomes. Does it tan much?

OP
itchaboyagain

itchaboyagain

If you want the nitric oxide effects, I'd go with any route else available, like citrulline containing foods. Or better, with actions that improve mitochondrial respiration that diminishes the need for nitric oxide. Remember this is mostly an emergency aid for when it's needed.

I didn't talk about photoaging, but minimizing skin and collagen structure damage while getting the most from synthesizing provitamin D in your skin. Avoiding any sun exposure doesn't imply less skin aging, you're dead wrong here. Depending on variables like solar spectrum, fluence dose and skin type among others, the net benefit on the skin can greatly vary, from positive to disastrous. For example, you can sunbath in the sun at times when irradiance is lower and red/NIF light are proportionally the highest to UV. There are numerous studies showing skin appearance improving in these conditions. Even there you get a tiny amount of UVA if you're interested on its nitric oxide effects. Out of this scenario, you don't want any artificial UVA emiting light if, as I said, you're looking for vitamin d synthesis while minimizing skin damage.
I'm not sure I understand the distinction you making between photoaging and collage and skin damage, is photoaging, not just the term used to describe this effect from UV radiation?

I'm also interested in the endorphins produced due to UV, I'll probably add IR to this setup at some point ad that makes quite a bit of sense.

Red/NIF are always proportionally higher than UV in the sun, but I get your point. There are also numerous studies showing skin conditions improving in nothing but high-output narrowband UVB, so I'm not sure again what the point is.

But yes you're correct if ALL you're looking for is a way to create vitamin D via UVB then of course you don't need UVA. Nor do you need the sunlight for that matter.

OP
itchaboyagain

itchaboyagain

The more I look into this the more interesting it becomes. Does it tan much?
This is in my opinion better than the Sperti, as the Sperti, if you read the article, is full of shorter wavelength UVB, and much more likely to cause DNA damage. Don't get me wrong, it'll work! But still.

I would say it's worth building, we enjoy using ours, really simple to build.

As far as tanning goes, there's a lot of UVA output, so i'd expect tanning to occur eventually, haven't really noticed any yet.

teds

Forum Supporter
T

Tilda swinton is the first one that comes to mind. Obviously not 100yo but she’s 62.. I also obviously don’t know her health status but she seems like someone who is thriving..

Badger

Hey there! After recently purchasing and testing the Sperti vitamin d lamp, I decided to have a go at building my own, and boy am I glad I did.

This build incorporates four 54w dragon D3 bulbs made by Arcadia. Testing was done using a UVA, UVB, UVC, and UVI meter to compare the DIY output to Spertis.

The DIY setup produces far more UVB and UVA than Spertis at half the cost. It’s also quite a bit safer to use as well according to the UVB to UVI ratio.

Here’s a link to the full build article for those interested.

We’ve been using this for about a month now and it feels great to use, much better than the Sperti lamp in my opinion. Genuinely feels like basking in sunlight.

So anyways, just wanted to out this out there in case anyone else was interested in building one of these, now you can!
Nice! Thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to build one from your excellent instructions.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom