How To Become More Than Just A Beast? What Is A Better Purpose Of Living?

Even through the monotony of everyday life, somehow many see a "purpose" in their being. I question most of so-called purposes since almost every known person with a purpose will die -- their "being" eradicated with said purpose. Since I foreshadow my own being, why should I align myself with a set-point path of life to death?

Other than not ever really fitting in or possibly wanting to get anywhere in life, whatever that means, I suppose a good argument over the questioning of life and purpose is separation of concerns for ourselves and others -- like a keen sense of knowing what's to come and avoiding it even if futile to some.

I have -- sometimes more often than others -- seen my existence like a film in ways. I am really the "something" behind the actual body that is presumably mortal and confined -- limited in this body and capabilities it brings in various ways depending on action or context. The man or woman who tries to "improve" their physiology as in improving health is still subjected to the protocol of the beast -- strengthen, survive, withstand, etc. I see no real enlightenment in improving health, although I'm still going to continue trying to do it because I know of nothing else that's "better" in any way given my situation.

The real concern is that "improvement" is not enlightenment -- it is tantamount to any and nearly all forms of human life as we know it. There is nothing intrinsically different from any person in this regard, no matter what their serotonin level is or psychological standing point, is there not? You get better to stand higher -- the apex predator; the "alpha" animal; the best off to a degree. I remember some points where I was "out of it" enough to not even think these things, but would it be wise to live that way constantly, if possible?

I have told myself in different senses that I do not care about much of the animal pursuits, even if I can't but help myself in engaging in them subtly. I mean at least I am not a mean person in my ways, but the reality is that I had made an understanding of myself that I would not beat myself up over not being "successful" because it's meaningless -- a path to destruction as I very much know it. The underdog becoming a champion is stressful, damaging, and killing of oneself -- at least with less concerns for this one can remain "low-status" or poorer or etc., but not engage in ruthless animal destruction and the chase of power. This is where the "serotonin" aspects might come in, but of course depend on exact individuals, circumstances and contexts. I have found that -- even though ironic at times -- inaction can be serotonergic, while pursuit can be more dopaminergic -- the issue is that pursuits are stressful, whereas hibernation or ego destruction can leave you in a worse place than where you were before. You try not to worry, but you end up having nothing to do anyways -- after all, if you aren't pursuing anything then you are doing nothing, which leaves you in the same place you have always been in that provides no novelty, leisure, or any other animalistic pursuit.

It's interesting how some give up on all worldly or materialistic concerns or such, and do not suffer from it. I have tried this and although it can feel like it's working it has a way of creeping up on you. The people around you will make it tougher too -- who will be the ones paying your bills while you try and remain as close to "nothingness" as possible? I couldn't manage to steadily work in any job even if I wanted to -- if I could I would've done it by now. I've been so far out of "normalcy" that it's only further in the direction of "insanity" probably -- in fact it might work out for me at least. I recalled before of times I wished I was homeless, associating possible freedom with this. Novelty, choice, and no worries -- homeless and with no memory or family could perhaps be the best thing for me now vs. where I'm currently "stuck" so to speak.

How do those give up their worldly concerns and possessions and do just fine? I can't seem to fully do this -- the beast urges and desires always creep up. I feel it is my duty to preserve the mortal image of myself to the best I can, but at the same time it feels pointless. If I am devoid of the animalistic privileges from presumably choosing to not capitalize on them to my benefit, then what is to be gained from preservation? Just as a hollow shell? A passive observer through life itself?

I mean I'll be honest that it does sound interesting to live as long and powerfully as possible given having no purpose or direction or expectancy for anything, but it also has a sad angle to it too. I would be literally "buffing" myself for nothing -- like bodybuilding to never go outside; powerlifting to never actually compete in weight training; earning money to never spend it; etc. When you want to maintain yourself for the sake of some sanctity over your mortal being from some sense of self while at the same time you question the very purpose or defining element in your existence being mostly null is where you reach an impasse of all impasses.

I mean it is kind of ironic that some of us look to "more" or "better" as if these words do not solely apply to yourself doing it in a beast-like manner -- to grow only to gain powerful and benefits like any other animal. Would anyone here truly trade perfect health and immortality for zero wealth, sex, friendships, respect, family,or likeness/care by or from any other mortal human? It seems unlikely. Although I might consider doing this I have no option since none are presented to me to do such -- and I have no idea how I could do something like that myself. So it kind of feels like you want to improve yourself, but at the same time you wonder why because you plan to make no use of the upgraded hardware because doing so would lower you back to a beast entirely.

I have thought that maybe I am too mighty for the mortal prison and circumstances -- but with nowhere to go you are seemingly bound to this confinement with no escape. How do we become more than a man or woman? How do we become more than just a beast?

Because it seems like no matter what direction you come from, end up here or wish to go to there always remains a remnant of the beast at your core -- and this seems unchangeable. Think about it like this: would any man or woman/male or female here pursue health if it wasn't to improve reproductive ability? Have my confidence so you can pursue more power? Have sex? Earn money? Eat food? Advance in the "social order" as you might theoretically reconcile with?

Man or beast -- but it seems both are one and I cannot choose otherwise, so I am biologically imprisoned.

I've thought of improving my metabolism, but this is just the beast in action -- trying to be superior no matter what. What trait most resonates with the beast than fighting tooth and nail to do everything to stand higher? This is the mightiest mark of the beast -- doing everything to win. But sadly when you do nothing you are still a beast, even if you pursue nothing of "better" either. Why it seems I was born a beast and people would expect me to die as one no matter what choices I make or don't make, but I can't have this ... I can't. You want to be great, but it is the beast that really wants it, not "you" beyond the mortal-form. I have told myself that I no longer strenuously pursue anything even if I may not object to it since it can be stressful and damaging. Since I have no animalistic buff I'd say my angle is more along the lines of preserving the mortal nature just for the sake of doing it since what else is there for me to do? What I enjoy? What I enjoy is not feasible because the factors that lead to it are too stressful, and many of us here know what lots of stress gets you. Also, worrying about how to achieve is just more mental anguish and pain, which again points to the sane direction that not having any pursuits is the least stressful and most practical. Plus, why pursue what you want when what you want is really just the beast's desires? Power? Sex? Money? I think I have reached the point where I'm beyond chasing those things, although I do not necessarily reject them all entirely at all times even knowing their nature.

I guess the real point is ... Why preserve the beast you aim to escape? But you are only the beast until you escape...

Last edited:

gately

You’re beyond chasing money, power, and sex but can’t hold a job even if you wanted to?

Your words not mine.

Ask yourself honestly where you are on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. You write like someone who’s at the very bottom but is contemplating his self-actualization in a kind of delusional state as though it were even a possibility at this time.

Maybe you’ll just react with anger to this, but this is my honest feeling after reading all that: You sound like someone teetering on the edge of self-deception and psychosis.

How honest are you with yourself? Because you repeatedly mention that you are special in some way, that you see the world or yourself, with a kind “witness-like” clarity that you assume others cannot.

You are not special in those aspects. I’m not trying to attack you. I know this isn’t what you want to hear, because no one wants to hear they sound unhinged. But you do. The feeling behind the questions you are asking us, and yourself, are as old as humanity. It’s the most normal thing in the world, and you aren’t special in ANY way for having them. I don’t mean that to disparage you, I’m trying to illuminate for you that we ALL have these feelings, at one point or another.

And since we all suffer the same way YOU do, what are WE to do with that knowledge?

If you want to know the end goal of life, it’s service to others, even at the expense of yourself. There. Not so mysterious is it?

Now go figure out how to get and hold a job so you can you use that money to help others, maybe even create a family, or find a tribe to belong in, and if you can’t work due to poor health, make it your life’s goal to get better so that you will be of greater service to others and maybe even show them the same way out.

And if you really want to renounce householder life, go join a monastic community, because you’ll find nothing but unhappiness trying to live a dual-purpose life.

Last edited:

PolishSun

According to John Gray "Straw dogs" being moral or logical is not normal, people are animals.

Nigel Blake

If you want to know the end goal of life, it’s service to others, even at the expense of yourself. There. Not so mysterious is it?

That can't be right. If one's goal in life is to service others then what is others' purpose in life? To also serve others? You can see the problem here. A servant doesn't serve other servants, a servant serves a master. If one wishes to sacrifice for others then there must be someone to receive your sacrifice. If all willing to give sacrifice then none are willing to take sacrifice. For there to be a rich there must be a poor. For there be a strong there must be a weak. For there be a righteous there must be a wicked. For there be a servant there must be a master....

gately

That can't be right. If one's goal in life is to service others then what is others' purpose in life? To also serve others? You can see the problem here. A servant doesn't serve other servants, a servant serves a master. If one wishes to sacrifice for others then there must be someone to receive your sacrifice. If all willing to give sacrifice then none are willing to take sacrifice. For there to be a rich there must be a poor. For there be a strong there must be a weak. For there be a righteous there must be a wicked. For there be a servant there must be a master....

What a weird argument you've created.

First of all, in what world are you living that everyone could suddenly consciously become aware that they should serve others every waking moment? Because that isn't OUR world, and it never will be. So the imaginary scenario you've created could never exist. In OUR world there's always going to be someone you can help, or strive to help.

Tell you what, next time you're helping someone and you realize OH SNAP they are trying to help YOU and the universe suddenly collapses in on itself because Nigel Blake on the raypeatforum said, "a servant serves a master" and thus two people could never possibly serve one another, PM me and I'll see if I can help you restructure the workings of the natural order of things. I know a great rain dance that should help.

It's not some great philosophical dilemma, homie. Just go help others.

Last edited:

Nigel Blake

First of all, in what world are you living that everyone could suddenly consciously become aware that they should serve others every waking moment? Because that isn't OUR world, and it never will be. So the imaginary scenario you've created could never exist. In OUR world there's always going to be someone you can help, or strive to help.

It is irrelevant whether or not people are aware of their purpose is to server others or not. What is relevant is that it is their purpose. It is rather concerning that your idea of the purpose of life seems to hinges on that a sizeable number of people not being aware of their purpose of life.

Tell you what, next time you're helping someone and you realize OH SNAP they are trying to help YOU and the universe suddenly collapses in on itself because Nigel Blake on the raypeatforum said, "a servant serves a master" and thus two people could never possibly serve one another, PM me and I'll see if I can help you restructure the workings of the natural order of things. I know a great rain dance that should help.

You don't seem to understand the problem you created. If a person's purpose of life is to help others then that necessitates someone to take it. You can't help others if there is no one willing to take your help which you continue to neglect this fact

It's not some great philosophical dilemma, homie. Just go help others.

Why help others? Why can't my purpose of life be to take the help of others? By being in a constant need of help and taking it I give purpose to others. I await your response...

Ableton

Why help others? Why can't my purpose of life be to take the help of others? By being in a constant need of help and taking it I give purpose to others. I await your response...

I am doing this with 1 or 2 people. I have come to the realization that neglecting their help (out of pride or whatever) actually makes them less happy. On a surface level they do A LOT more for me than vice versa, but if you take into account psychological complications that come with it it evens out I guess.

Nigel Blake

I, for one, don't see the problem here. Mutual service within a hierarchy is the foundation of society

I see the opposite. I see mutual service as ultimately detrimental to society. If a person's purpose in life is to be a servant then they need a master. Without a master then that person can't fulfill their purpose. Mutual service is especially damning to a hierarchy. In a world where God is the pinnacle of a hierarchy what sense does it makes for God to serve his creation? Those lower on the hierarchy serves those higher on the hierarchy. A peasant serves the king, a slave serves his master, and a serf serves his landlord. However, if by mutual service you mean fulfilling one's moral obligations and pursuing the moral good then I agree though I don't think that's where you were going.....

Forsythia

Sink into being you as much as you want, but only as deep as lets you still take care of yourself emotionally, physically and financially. You can be you and still be responsible for yourself. If you sink beyond your ability to take care of yourself, life as you know it will be over and other people will rule you which is my definition of a living hell.

The purpose of your life is to increase, multiply, and spread life.

By looking after your metabolism and attempting to optimize health, you do two things: 1) accentuate the potential to receive a greater and greater input of consciousness and 2) increase resiliency such that you may shoulder greater burdens of others and likewise contribute more by way of your increasingly stable physical foundation.

Your physical body is made as a beautiful creation by whatever it is that we once came from and are returning to - God - and by looking after it, you will bring more fruit to the world by being a more finely tuned instrument of divine origin.

I have long maintained these aforementioned thoughts before finding Christ, but they have now become a thousand times more relevant and fulfilling since I've been surrendering my personal will to God and asking for the Holy Spirit to guide me on a daily basis. My body is not my own, as the scripture states.

Further, I have always called the body a temple, but it wasn't until I made it a temple of the ministry of Christ that true, everlasting resolve came into my life. I believe that receiving the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is what marked this change.

1 Corinthians 6:19 (KJV)
“What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”

Resist nihilism long enough and you'll find truth in the KJV Bible. Godspeed.

Inaut

The purpose of your life is to increase, multiply, and spread life.

By looking after your metabolism and attempting to optimize health, you do two things: 1) accentuate the potential to receive a greater and greater input of consciousness and 2) increase resiliency such that you may shoulder greater burdens of others and likewise contribute more by way of your increasingly stable physical foundation.

Your physical body is made as a beautiful creation by whatever it is that we once came from and are returning to - God - and by looking after it, you will bring more fruit to the world by being a more finely tuned instrument of divine origin.

I have long maintained these aforementioned thoughts before finding Christ, but they have now become a thousand times more relevant and fulfilling since I've been surrendering my personal will to God and asking for the Holy Spirit to guide me on a daily basis. My body is not my own, as the scripture states.

Further, I have always called the body a temple, but it wasn't until I made it a temple of the ministry of Christ that true, everlasting resolve came into my life. I believe that receiving the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is what marked this change.

1 Corinthians 6:19 (KJV)
“What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”

Resist nihilism long enough and you'll find truth in the KJV Bible. Godspeed.

Much in line with my current perception of life @Twohandsondeck

I like the current uptrends of spirituality/faith discussions on RPF lately

Nigel Blake

@Nigel Blake
Are you saying that a father who serves his son, his baby is serving his master?!

Parents don't serve their children, to do so would be wrong, it is as wrong as expecting God to serve you. You serve God, He doesn't serve you. This doesn't mean God will not act for your own good but it isn't an act of servitude. If one's purpose in life is to the service of others that means that person's purpose is to serve the good of others over his own which implies that the good of others must be more important/ more valuable than his own good which make them superior to him. They can't be his inferior or equal if their good is more important to serve than his own good ( which means they can't be servants or their purpose in life is to serve others ). Simply put, doing the good of others doesn't make one a servant but they become servants the good of others takes precedence over their own good....

TheSir

I have observed that there is a growing undercurrent of religiosity all over the internet at large. Across the numerous communities that I participate in, people are coming to faith, being open about matters of spirituality, and expressing profound interest toward the larger picture of their lives. Us who found the internet in the early 00's when we were teenagers... most of us never left. The internet grew together with us. Topics of interest changed over time. Gone seem to be the days of edgy atheism and trendy nihilism. Many are longing for something more sustainable. Something that gives them meaning amidst of the sea of insignificance that is the modern society and its structures. It will be interesting to follow the evolution of this trend. For all the social decay the internet has caused, I think it will redeem itself in the end.

MatheusPN

Parents don't serve their children, to do so would be wrong, it is as wrong as expecting God to serve you. You serve God, He doesn't serve you. This doesn't mean God will not act for your own good but it isn't an act of servitude. If one's purpose in life is to the service of others that means that person's purpose is to serve the good of others over his own which implies that the good of others must be more important/ more valuable than his own good which make them superior to him. They can't be his inferior or equal if their good is more important to serve than his own good ( which means they can't be servants or their purpose in life is to serve others ). Simply put, doing the good of others doesn't make one a servant but they become servants the good of others takes precedence over their own good....
You're using serve and service where one is submissive, under control to masters. By neutrality, God serves me in that way. Clearly, it's a horrible situation to being under control.

Gately wanst specific he only said that service to others is good, giving food to your baby is one service.

I have observed that there is a growing undercurrent of religiosity all over the internet at large. Across the numerous communities that I participate in, people are coming to faith, being open about matters of spirituality, and expressing profound interest toward the larger picture of their lives.

Seems like a great awakening of the internet. Ever since Microsoft spit in our face with a spirit cooking witch as the featurette in an advertisement that was released in the middle of April coupled with the 666 patent, people are coming to fruition.

From the side of light, maybe there's been a growing momentum of people who have began to resist Lucifer(arianism) because of these world events and the new volume of prayer is stirring people to question themselves out of their own darkeness.

From the side of darkness, maybe a lot of people are losing a lot in their life due to the stress of nosediving economics and it's pushing people further into chaos so intensely that they're being forced into a position of questioning what really matters when money isn't an object anymore... As it (money) has been most recently made to be.

Now more than ever it looks like we're all playing with Monopoly money.

Of course we have been all along, it's just becoming especially glaringly apparent with the unfolding of recent world affairs.

gately

Serving others is the HIGHEST goal. (Or, as I first stated: the END goal.) It's all that's left to do after self-actualization / salvation / whatever.

Why do you think evangelicals spend their entire lives trying to "save" others? Because they want others to experience the same freedom they have tasted. They don't want others to suffer in eternal hell. Their taste of freedom compels them to try and save others, it isn't out of obedience to some moral law. They naturally feel that way. That's because that's the natural order of spiritual evolution. It can occur like that in every man or woman, regardless of the specifics of their faith.

Most people aren't there yet. Most people haven't tasted much freedom. And when they do, they recklessly spend their merit like a young inheritor of wealth and wind up right back where they started.

Please remember that even Jesus needed to go into the desert and face his demons before sharing his gospel. And that even the Buddha started his path with the goal of ending the cycle of suffering for himself. But once he reached his goal, what was there left to do... but show others the way?

Now there's something else though: Knowing where the path leads (towards serving others) gives you a taste of truth (dharma) and that seed is all you need, if you are paying attention. (Though I usually hate to invoke The Gospel of John: What sets us free? The truth.) Jesus started his ministry by teaching us to repent and look after one another and love one another. What are the two great commandments upon which all the law and the prophet's hang? To love God with all your heart, mind, and soul and to love your neighbor as thy SELF.

Last edited: