How To Be Energized And Without Constant Hunger

Swandattur

I think no starches works for me- at least so far. I either need to stay totally off starches or only eat a tiny amount like say a tablespoon of potato. I'm still experimenting, but it's looking like this. I do eat fruit and some sugar. I just thought I'd throw that out there, because I know lots of people have this problem. When I was doing low carb with no starch and very little fruit or sugar it worked to a degree for a little while, but not in the long run. I think plenty of carbs in the form of fruit and some sugar and no starch is what works for me.

OP
S

Swandattur

Ha ha! That's what you think! :) For some of us, it just isn't so simple. Somehow starches appear to throw a monkey wrench into my metabolism unless I am real careful. Without starch my blood sugar, which is something I can actually measure, stays reasonable along with my energy and appetite. With starch it's another story. From a Peat perspective, the overly high blood sugars should mean my body is trying to correct or compensate for something in the aftermath of starch eating.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Starch(potatoes) causes me problems too. Totally messes up my digestion for a while. Gives me a ton of gas.

OP
S

Swandattur

For me they seem to digest okay, but I think the residue from the amylopectin (from what I understand some of this is indigestible) must feed some bacteria too well. Maybe that is part of how it causes problems for my metabolism. It's as if these bacteria multiply on feeding and then demand more. Maybe that isn't what happens, but it feels that way.
Have you read about the IBS Low Starch Diet used for IBS and ankylosing spondylitis? The theory is that the starch feeds a Kleibsella bacteria that has to do with these problems.

key

sucrose is generally superior to starch so low starch diet is fine

to be energized without constant hunger you need to eat enough sugar protein and fat

Wilfrid

I've got the same problem too when I ate potatoes, rice etc....
No matter how long I cooked those I was still having digestive trouble....and then I discovered the magic bullet: gelatin!
For ex, White rice (parboiled) + saturated fat (butter,cream or coconut)= bloating, digestive issues....
White rice + saturated fat + a good amount of gelatin= problem solved.
I'm not talking about Great lakes gelatin (this one give me GI pb too) but gelatin from cooked intestines, ox tail, beef or lamb feet ect....
I've good the tip from the WAPF (and I'm not generally agree with their recommendations).
So now despite my crohn's, I can eat a lot of starch without any trouble.
May be you should give a try?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wilfrid, thanks for the tip. I will keep that in mind.

OP
S

Swandattur

Very interesting about the gelatin curing the bloating problem with starch, especially for Crohn's. Maybe starch is always best eaten with some sort of protein and fat no matter what problem you might have with it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Agreed, very interesting.

jet9

I've got the same problem too when I ate potatoes, rice etc....
No matter how long I cooked those I was still having digestive trouble....and then I discovered the magic bullet: gelatin!
For ex, White rice (parboiled) + saturated fat (butter,cream or coconut)= bloating, digestive issues....
White rice + saturated fat + a good amount of gelatin= problem solved.
I'm not talking about Great lakes gelatin (this one give me GI pb too) but gelatin from cooked intestines, ox tail, beef or lamb feet ect....
I've good the tip from the WAPF (and I'm not generally agree with their recommendations).
So now despite my crohn's, I can eat a lot of starch without any trouble.
May be you should give a try?
Wilfrid hi, are you still eating starch with gelatin ? Any side effects ? Or it still works good ?