How To Avoid Vicious Cycles When Adopting Peat?

My girlfriend's been getting into Peat recently, so we've been experimenting together. I've seen good results over the last few years upping carbs and cutting PUFA, but still often feel like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

1. You need the sort of calories that can only conveniently be acquired drinking juice and milk, but if your metabolism is low you can't handle too many fluids.

2. So you turn to low fluid high calorie foods like dried fruits, well cooked starch. But you find out dried fruit can increase estrogen, and starch is less than favourable. Meat has too much iron and phosphate, so does anything grain related.

3. So maybe fat is the answer: Cream, cheese, butter, now seems like the safest way to get enough calories; but too much fat makes you put on weight.

4. So you turn back to fruit. Everyone raves about fruit but you need a hell of a lot of good quality fruit to meet calorie requirements and feel satiated. So you eat a shitload but quality is poor so you feel bloated, gaseous, and underfed.

And the cycle goes on.

Has anyone else struggled with this endless cycle? Where nothing quite seems to click?

I guess my question is, do you need an intervention sometimes? A temporary measure (excluding supps) while things get moving again? High fat? Rice diet?

Lee Simeon

I think it is important to remember that it is impossible to do perfect here. As long as you get the essentials, that is whats matters. For me, the essentials are as follows; Restrict PUFA to 5g or less, consume more calcium than phosphorus, get enough vitamins and minerals and lastly get enough sunlight.

theLaw

Here are some brief solutions to those issues:

1. Use BCAAs to improve digestion giving you the ability to intake more liquid

Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

2. Minimize starch as much as possible while using 1-4T of activated charcoal in juice away from meals. Add eggshell calcium and gelatin to meat to balance the ratios.

3. If you choose fat, then go with coconut/mct oil (small doses throughout the day)

Coconut Oil "completely Abolished Responses To Endotoxin"

4. Small doses throughout the day are the key (think food as an iv drip).

For interventions, I would check out Haidut's sups from Idealabs. Cheers!:D

raypeatclips

You could go mad going through these cycles and reading threads with loads of replies, each one different and arguing with each other. Try different things and stick to what makes you feel okay. Don't avoid starch if you feel great on it, just because people on here say its terrible.

OP
T
I think it is important to remember that it is impossible to do perfect here. As long as you get the essentials, that is whats matters. For me, the essentials are as follows; Restrict PUFA to 5g or less, consume more calcium than phosphorus, get enough vitamins and minerals and lastly get enough sunlight.

Yeah, I think for Peat avoiding the bad is sometimes better than getting more of the good. I'm assuming you consume milk to keep calcium ratio high? Do you not struggle with the fluids?

Here are some brief solutions to those issues:

1. Use BCAAs to improve digestion giving you the ability to intake more liquid

Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

2. Minimize starch as much as possible while using 1-4T of activated charcoal in juice away from meals. Add eggshell calcium and gelatin to meat to balance the ratios.

3. If you choose fat, then go with coconut/mct oil (small doses throughout the day)

Coconut Oil "completely Abolished Responses To Endotoxin"

4. Small doses throughout the day are the key (think food as an iv drip).

For interventions, I would check out Haidut's sups from Idealabs. Cheers!:D

Cheers man! I always find your posts empowering in a really simple way. I'm very interested in the BCAA supp. I've always had a
soft body type, difficulty building muscle, and signs of estrogen. Have often wondered whether a protein deficiency. Would a good brand of BCAA do the trick? I've found it hard making a solid conclusion from haidut's indepth thread.
You could go mad going through these cycles and reading threads with loads of replies, each one different and arguing with each other. Try different things and stick to what makes you feel okay. Don't avoid starch if you feel great on it, just because people on here say its terrible.

I think going mad is a good way to put it. Have you ever got caught in that cycle of looking for a definitive answer on ray peat forum? :p I think my worry is the long term. Burger and fries makes me feel great when I'm desperate, but I'm worried how it'll effect me when it hits my bloodstream. Whereas I feel confident fruit and milk would serve me well in the long run, but makes me feel lacking in the short term. Finding a balance between your head and your gut is hard.

Lee Simeon

Yeah, I think for Peat avoiding the bad is sometimes better than getting more of the good. I'm assuming you consume milk to keep calcium ratio high? Do you not struggle with the fluids?

I find it sometimes difficult to maintain a positive calcium to phosphorus ratio since my milk contain just as much calcium as phosphorus. I achieve a positive balance by eating less meat and more dairy products as cheese and certain protein powders. The fluids however can be a problem on certain days, but I do not drink much water besides from milk, coffee, orange juice or sometimes red bull.

theLaw

Cheers man! I always find your posts empowering in a really simple way. I'm very interested in the BCAA supp. I've always had a
soft body type, difficulty building muscle, and signs of estrogen. Have often wondered whether a protein deficiency. Would a good brand of BCAA do the trick? I've found it hard making a solid conclusion from haidut's indepth thread.

I just use Bulk Sups BCAA from amazon and add some Taurine + other amino acids mentioned on that thread.

Personally, I found BCAAs much more effective than Gelatin.

Tarmander

I know what you mean OP. Vicious cycles caused me to really drill down on what was stressful and getting into a non-stressful environment. After a couple years of that, I did not have anywhere to go, other then into thyroid's loving arms.

OP
T
Do you take thyroid?

I don't. I'm capable of getting my temps to 37C and pulse to 85 on fortunate eating days, so I've been reluctant to start a thyroid journey just yet.

I just use Bulk Sups BCAA from amazon and add some Taurine + other amino acids mentioned on that thread.

Personally, I found BCAAs much more effective than Gelatin.

Thanks mate. What sort of changes did you notice when supp'ing like this? You said it enabled you to handle fluids better? Do you mean that it increased your thirst? I've often found that adding gelatin to OJ helps me handle the fluid a little bit better.

theLaw

Thanks mate. What sort of changes did you notice when supp'ing like this? You said it enabled you to handle fluids better? Do you mean that it increased your thirst? I've often found that adding gelatin to OJ helps me handle the fluid a little bit better.

Basically healed my digestion (bad acid re-flux + ulcer) and increased my protein assimilation.

I always had thirst, but drinking too much at once was a bad idea. The BCAA just seemed to calm everything down, and allow me to drink more liquid without any signs of digestive distress.

B

Braveheart

:thumbsup:

DaveFoster

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals