How safe Himalayan salt is from contaminants?

Astolfo

Assuming the worst production quality and lack of regulation from government, how bad it can get?

JamesGatz

Well we can think about it like this - Bigfoot lives in the Himalaya's - half monkey half man giant hybrid who we can assume is very very dirty - do you really want to eat salt that has had that giant monkey's feet all over it ?

All jokes aside I believe Himalayan salt is probably about as dirty as ocean salt - if it's better it's not by much. Mort's pickling salt is awesome and cheap - I highly recommend it

Kram

Damn. I had been using himalayan salt the past 4 years (for no reason in particular).

OP
A

Astolfo

I believe Himalayan salt is probably about as dirty as ocean salt - if it's better it's not by much.
Sounds acceptable, because I already use sea or rock salt. I cannot order Mort's salt from here, so I can only have this.

It depends on where the salt is mined from. Obviously, countries where salt is in close proximity to road pollution, oil refineries, etc. are not ideal. I generally follow the recommendations of salts recommended from naturopaths as they seem to study the source and understand it's importance. With a little homework yourself, you can probably tease out the better sources by looking at location. I wouldn't trust anything from China or India...

OP
A

Astolfo

The salt I bought is from Pakistan, the major source of this himalayan salt afaik. But I assume there are different levels of quality, and the one I bought is probably very low in.

I think it's a good idea to rotate various forms of salt in order to avoid any one contaminant. I rotate Real Salt, Himalayan, and Celtic sea salt.

ddjd

Sounds acceptable, because I already use sea or rock salt. I cannot order Mort's salt from here, so I can only have this.
I just bought 2 bags of pure white rock salt (halite salt) from Pakistan, but now reading on the forum people saying even this salt is bad???

At least there's no chance of micro plastics surely?

amd

Sounds good, but ..

Baja Gold Sea Salt FAQ

Has the seawater used to create Baja Gold been exposed to pollution from the Deep Horizon Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico during 2010?

Although Baja Gold has not found a lab capable of testing for radiation levels, several customers reported that their personal equipment indicated no radiation present in our products.

Table salt measures radiation in Fukushima

Salt’s function as a radiation detector has also been verified through tests carried out in Svetilovichi, Belarus. This is one of the places affected by large amounts of nuclear fallout following the nuclear disaster in Chernobyl in 1986. Different types of salt packets were placed in the kitchen cupboards of local residents for just over four months.

The results showed that the salt preserved the radiation signal very well – even for low measurements – as long as it was stored in the dark. Out in the daylight, strong cardboard packaging is therefore required, whereas for salt stored in a cupboard, plastic containers also work.