How Prevalent Is Selenium Deficiency Really?

AretnaP

I know it was one the things Ray mentioned being deficient in many people's diets, along with d3 and k2 of course.

fradon

I know it was one the things Ray mentioned being deficient in many people's diets, along with d3 and k2 of course.

i would say there is a high deficiency because so many things like chlorine, flouride, bromide, mercury, etc deplete selenium. since these attack the thyroid and selenium protects the thyroid from this contaminants. when i researched TUNA FISH the article said Tuna has a very active form of selenium that is hard to find but because of all the toxins in the ocean most people don't eat Tuna fish anymore.

success23

Btw most brazil nuts are produced in Bolivia and the soil there is super low in selenium.

Johnathan5544

They come from Bolivia, Brazil, Peru, and Uruguay. The Se content varies from 100mcg per 100g up to 10,000mcg per 100g even from the same part of Brazil. Nutritiondata says they have 2000mcg per 100g but there was a study that showed they had 800mcg per 100g so that seems more reliable. The same study showed the shell of the edible part to contain 3 times more selenium w/w than the edible part!

Johnathan5544

Yeah so that is the natural variation. Average is 800-2000mcg per 100g by the looks of it. 400mcg a day is recommended to prevent cancer. I emailed Coles supermarket in Australia to ask where they get theirs, and they said Brazil fwiw.

bistecca

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1382668901000783

Oxidative stress, pufa, electromagnetic energy, stress in general deplete selenium and contribute to deficiency. Dietary intake depends on the foods you eat but also where the food is grown. Brazil nuts are commonly considered a good source, as are mushrooms, but those depend upon soil conditions. I know the soil around me is pretty limited. Local livestock producers have to supplement. Seafood is thought to be a good source, but I'm willing to bet that depends on where it's harvested as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals