How often do you cheat?

How often do you eat pufas?

• Once a week

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Once a month

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Only on special occasions

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Never. I don’t want to stink when I get old.

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Ray would be very disappointed ...

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Inaut

I’m talking about junk food you know you shouldn’t eat but you do because it tastes so good........once and a while —or more frequently then you’d like to admit...?? ?

I’d deem it as fried food or super high pufa junk from restaurants (you know it’s the death oil). Example— I ate some jerk today... came with a jerk chicken poutine free of charge... I tried to avoid it at first..... until i took a nibble... the nibble led to a bite, then two, three etc.... and before you know it.....it’s done....?

curios I am

Comstock

Seed oils - never
nuts - once every six months
olives - once every few months
wheat - almost every day
veggies with seeds (zucchini, cucumbers) - once every few months
chicken - once every other month
fish - very rarely
rice - varies, probably averages at once every other week
potatoes - varies, pretty infrequently at the moment
alcohol - never

Jennifer

I haven’t had PUFA-rich “junk” food in years but If I enjoyed it and had the pleasure of being with company, I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty having it on occasion. I hadn’t been to a restaurant in over a year due to the pandemic but a loved one passed away last weekend and I didn’t want to be alone or miss the opportunity to be with family so I went out to eat with my parents. It was a cold, rainy day so I had some French onion soup, which likely had some PUFAs in it but not enough to write home about. Even if it had, getting to spend time with family and socialize, especially in these times, was good for my soul.

ursidae

I don’t follow a Ray peat diet. I eat oily fish and some avocado. But stuff fried/cooked in vegetable oil... never, to the point of it being disordered eating. Homecooked meals prepared with love- still a no. And people put it in everything, nothing can convince them to stop using that oil even if they are desperate and battle chronic illness. They think it’s something trivial. Even if the queen of england cooked it for me if it was deep fried in canola oil I’d say no. It’s a turn off and pisses me off because it could so easily not be prepared in this trashy way

equipoise

When I'm traveling with family, I usually have a pizza or something at a restaurant. I'd avoid fried stuff, but there's really not much other choice. Pizza, pasta, all pretty safe. Most use olive oil to cook so it's okay

gaze

is there any food out there that taste better with pufa rather than butter or olive oil? do pufa cravings even exist? the only pufa foods i would ever even remotely crave are bacon and peanut butter, but every other pufa food is pretty gross. chicken wings and fries taste good, but they would taste better cooked in tallow so the pufas have really nothing to do with it. in that sense the only time i would cheat is like everyone else said, when your socially forced to eat with everyone at a restaurant or someone's home and they cook pufa. i wouldn't go out of my way though

is there any food out there that taste better with pufa rather than butter or olive oil? do pufa cravings even exist? the only pufa foods i would ever even remotely crave are bacon and peanut butter, but every other pufa food is pretty gross. chicken wings and fries taste good, but they would taste better cooked in tallow so the pufas have really nothing to do with it. in that sense the only time i would cheat is like everyone else said, when your socially forced to eat with everyone at a restaurant or someone's home and they cook pufa. i wouldn't go out of my way though
This ought to curb your peanut butter cravings!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605-083208_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-083208_Samsung Internet.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 57

Doc Sandoz

No PUFA oils - seed or fish - in the house. Home cook with tallow, butter only.

However...there are two PUFA things I can't resist: One is mini corn tacos from our local deli. Have a few of those maybe twice a week. (Am working on making my own from nixtamalized masa but need to get a decent (and expensive) deep fryer as the Fry Daddy line is crap and immersible element fryers will burn out if you use tallow in them.) The other is Wheat Thins for liver pate' or oysters. Nothing else will do. As all store bought crackers are PUFA laden, I am moving toward creating home-made wheat thins, but haven't got there yet.

Haven't eaten out save for pizza since before discovering Peat. Oh, except once recently at an Indian food joint - they say they use ghee, but who knows?

rei

Everyone eats PUFAs every day. The question is what measures do you take to minimize them? Personally i always favor better alternatives, but if there is no alternative i don't think twice consuming it.

For instance, i sometimes eat a hamburger from mcd. Even when the bun is made with seed oils. But i would never think of getting the fries boiled in seed oil.

No PUFA oils - seed or fish - in the house. Home cook with tallow, butter only.

However...there are two PUFA things I can't resist: One is mini corn tacos from our local deli. Have a few of those maybe twice a week. (Am working on making my own from nixtamalized masa but need to get a decent (and expensive) deep fryer as the Fry Daddy line is crap and immersible element fryers will burn out if you use tallow in them.) The other is Wheat Thins for liver pate' or oysters. Nothing else will do. As all store bought crackers are PUFA laden, I am moving toward creating home-made wheat thins, but haven't got there yet.

Haven't eaten out save for pizza since before discovering Peat. Oh, except once recently at an Indian food joint - they say they use ghee, but who knows?
Mmmmmm Korma!

Birdie

Ray Peat says that since he doesn't eat "lab food", he does not have a pufa free body.

Things that I used to eat with pufas (like avocados, chicken, olive oil) I cut way down on. If I eat seeds in raspberries or blackberries, I try not to pulverize the seeds. Ray said somewhere this was the best way to eat those berries because the seeds will more readily pass through the colon and out. Before he said that, I never ate raspberries or blackberries.

I can't eat nightshades, so I'm unable to follow his advice to eat a potato. I eat white rice since he explained why it is better than brown. The things he says make sense. I used to think brown rice was far superior to white. He advises butter with the rice and I do that. I'm in a phase where I don't eat a lot of rice, but that varies.

BearWithMe

Never. Seriously. Not even once in past 4 years.

Peat-inspired diet is so simple, convenient and delicious I have absolutely no desire to do that.

Why would I eat something unhealthy when I can eat healthy stuff that is so tasty at the same time? Makes no sense to me.

Attakai

Try to avoid PUFA but end up eating way more than I should eating out with friends and having fun on the weekends. Oh well I'm enjoying life so not too worried about it.

BearWithMe

Cheating on Peat-Inspired diet is like having gorgeous 18 years old model girlfriend, and cheat on her with fat, ugly and dumb woman

rei

Ray Peat says that since he doesn't eat "lab food", he does not have a pufa free body.

Things that I used to eat with pufas (like avocados, chicken, olive oil) I cut way down on. If I eat seeds in raspberries or blackberries, I try not to pulverize the seeds. Ray said somewhere this was the best way to eat those berries because the seeds will more readily pass through the colon and out. Before he said that, I never ate raspberries or blackberries.

I can't eat nightshades, so I'm unable to follow his advice to eat a potato. I eat white rice since he explained why it is better than brown. The things he says make sense. I used to think brown rice was far superior to white. He advises butter with the rice and I do that. I'm in a phase where I don't eat a lot of rice, but that varies.
In recent DR podcast both DR and RP concluded that the previous recommendation of coconut oil+carrot salad is worse than olive oil+carrot salad, his justification was that virgin olive oil is a fruit oil and contains many beneficial active compounds even when it's unsaturation status is worse than with coconut oil. And that supposedly even refined (tasteless) coconut oil contains allergens as it is a nut oil not a fruit oil.

Birdie

In recent DR podcast both DR and RP concluded that the previous recommendation of coconut oil+carrot salad is worse than olive oil+carrot salad, his justification was that virgin olive oil is a fruit oil and contains many beneficial active compounds even when it's unsaturation status is worse than with coconut oil. And that supposedly even refined (tasteless) coconut oil contains allergens as it is a nut oil not a fruit oil.
In 2011, Ray was saying to use a teaspoon of olive oil in the carrot salad. But I've also heard him say that a teaspoon is okay, but that since it contains pufa, keep the amount to a teaspoon a day. I hadn't heard of Ray advising coconut oil in the carrot salad. Lucky for me I guess.

Last edited:

Birdie

I meant to come back here and correct something I said about the potato advice. What I've always heard Ray say is to use a well-buttered "young new potato".

Birdie

My answer to your question: coleslaw

Never. Seriously. Not even once in past 4 years.

Peat-inspired diet is so simple, convenient and delicious I have absolutely no desire to do that.

Why would I eat something unhealthy when I can eat healthy stuff that is so tasty at the same time? Makes no sense to me.
That is how I feel too Bear! I feel like cheating now is going from King Crab to a cheap can of tuna. No thanks I'll take the King Crab ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals