• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

julcreutz

In the paleo, keto and especially carnivore communities, people usually praise animal fat, also for it's "high nutrient-density". But all sources I've looked at show that there aren't a lot of nutrients at all.

I usually use Nährwertrechner, an incredibly detailed german food database.
Here's pure beef fat: Nährwerte Rind Fett
Besides fat macronutrient calories, the rest is insignificant (and it's not because they're not measured, they all are). I'm especially disappointed by the retinol content.
Not to mention the total amount of fat in the table. Nobody is going to eat 500g of pure beef fat, but 500g of lean muscle is far from impossible to consume on a daily basis.

The lean muscle and organ parts are actually where all the nutrients are.

So where does this misinformation come from?

SOMO

Butter and egg yolks contain a decent amount of nutrients. Egg yolks are the "best" if we're talking about animal fats that also contain nutrients.

Grain fed cows produce butter with less Vitamin A/D/K than grass-fed cows.

Otherwise, animal (and plant) fats are devoid of nutrients. I have read that Lard CAN be a source of Vitamin D, but obviously a few minutes of sunlight is superior.

They do, however, contain some cholesterol (or phytosterols) and perhaps some GAGs (glycosaminoglycans) which sometimes occupy the same areas on the animal as the adipose tissue. However, cooking the animal fat may render the cholesterol less beneficial.

lampofred

Animal fat is not at all good for you. I think mainstream gov guidelines has this right.

julcreutz

Animal fat is not at all good for you. I think mainstream gov guidelines has this right.

I think there's some merit to that. Especially in terms of cardiovascular health.
I always noticed on carnivore when eating large amounts of fat that my heart started beating really heavily.
Even now, eating a lot of fat really bogs me down. Decreases my physical performance a lot.

Epik

I think there's some merit to that. Especially in terms of cardiovascular health.
I always noticed on carnivore when eating large amounts of fat that my heart started beating really heavily.
Even now, eating a lot of fat really bogs me down. Decreases my physical performance a lot.
I've had a similar response on a meat only meal back when I would carb cycle. Have you ever tried the same experiment but also adding carbs? I don't notice it when I eat carbs, even in a hight fat meal.

julcreutz

I've had a similar response on a meat only meal back when I would carb cycle. Have you ever tried the same experiment but also adding carbs? I don't notice it when I eat carbs, even in a hight fat meal.

The fat content I would consume in one meal was incredibly high, it was 100g+. And no, I have not tested it with carbs, because I don't want to consume so much fat again.
But an interesting observation! A leaner meat only meal doesn't do this for me.

Epik

The fat content I would consume in one meal was incredibly high, it was 100g+. And no, I have not tested it with carbs, because I don't want to consume so much fat again.
But an interesting observation! A leaner meat only meal doesn't do this for me.
lol 100g+ in one meal is crazy, maybe like 80-90g of fat in one meal is considered a high fat meal for me. Maybe it has to do with the randel cycle? Idk

julcreutz

lol 100g+ in one meal is crazy, maybe like 80-90g of fat in one meal is considered a high fat meal for me. Maybe it has to do with the randel cycle? Idk

It is high, but I was eating 2 meals a day and you gotta get your calories from somewhere.
I believe even 80-90g in one meal is bad cardiovascularly speaking.