How Much Vitamin D3 Do You Take

Quality

Darker days incoming on the northern hemisphere!
As above, how much do you take and have you noticed the benefits.

Personally I use vitamin d3 year round, 8.000-10.000iu in the months that got the "R" in it.
The other months I take 2.000-3.000iu.

I notice a big difference in mood if I drop back to lets say 2.000iu/day during winter months in comparison to 10.000iu.
Also regarding the RDI of vitamin d3, more and more evidence starting to point out that the current RDI is too low.
My latest test showed 120nmol/l, so my intake is definatly not too high.

Atalanta

Darker days incoming on the northern hemisphere!
As above, how much do you take and have you noticed the benefits.

Personally I use vitamin d3 year round, 8.000-10.000iu in the months that got the "R" in it.
The other months I take 2.000-3.000iu.

I notice a big difference in mood if I drop back to lets say 2.000iu/day during winter months in comparison to 10.000iu.
Also regarding the RDI of vitamin d3, more and more evidence starting to point out that the current RDI is too low.
My latest test showed 120nmol/l, so my intake is definatly not too high.

Where is the evidence that shows supplemental Vitamin D is equivalent to Vitamin D the body makes from the sun?

What foods provide large amounts of vitamin D?

I am very suspicious of all the research which supports the need for high intakes of vitamin D. Vitamin D is the one nutrient that humans have not gotten primarily from foods and I don't believe supplemental vitamin D is equivalent to vitamin D the body makes.

Just because you feel better from taking high doses of vitamin D does not mean high doses of it are good for you or that you have a "deficiency". High doses could be acting as a drug.

The supplement industry is as bad as the pharmaceutical industry and they can pay scientists to find "evidence" that we need massive amounts of vitamin D just as the pharmaceutical companies pay scientists to find no side effects with their medications.

There are scientists who believe that low vitamin D levels are a result of illness/health problems and not the cause.

OP
Q

Quality

Where is the evidence that shows supplemental Vitamin D is equivalent to Vitamin D the body makes from the sun?
What does that matter, your body only cares about having optimal 25-hydroxyvitamin d levels.
And vitamind d supplementation certainly does increase vitamin d levels in the body.

OP
Q

Quality

Just because you feel better from taking high doses of vitamin D does not mean high doses of it are good for you or that you have a "deficiency". High doses could be acting as a drug.

There are scientists who believe that low vitamin D levels are a result of illness/health problems and not the cause.

Traditionally living populations in East Africa have a mean serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration of 115 nmol/l. - PubMed - NCBI

I used to have low vitamin d levels, supplementation brought me back to optimal levels.

As for low vitamin d levels being a result of illness or health problems, no doubt about that could play a part, all the more reason to get extra vitamin d either from food or supplementation if your levels are sub-optimal in blood tests.

SaltGirl

Started a few weeks back to take about 9000-10.000.

Results have been that I am able to wake up without feeling like ***t. My mood is also much better.

Fil72

Curious to know, what are optimal levels? I have 50 which is 'adequate' in the UK according to the scale but for most people it's meant to be totally inadequate?

redlight

Can you apply the Thorne Research - Vitamin D Liquid Dietary Supplement topically?

OP
Q

Quality

Can you apply the Thorne Research - Vitamin D Liquid Dietary Supplement topically?
Honestly doubt it if it doesnt say on the label, but you can email Thorne to ask them.

Momado965

10000 ius d3 with15-45mg vitamin k2 mk4 occational vitamin A from supplement and lamb liver once every 2 weeks or less.

LucH

I take 2000 UI in summer time, and 5.000 UI D3 + K2 from oktober to mid-april when day light has not the right wavelength (290 - 315 °)
There is a synergy between vitamins A D K (Interaction)
Vitamin K2 is the substance that makes the vitamin A- and vitamin D-dependent proteins come to life. While vitamins A and D act as signalling molecules, telling cells to make certain proteins, vitamin K2 activates these proteins by conferring upon them the physical ability to bind calcium. In some cases these proteins directly coordinate the movement or organization of calcium themselves; in other cases the calcium acts as a glue to hold the protein in a certain shape. In all such cases, the proteins are only functional once they have been activated by vitamin K.
Vit A D K interaction.jpg
See full explanation on this link:
Interaction entre les vitamines liposolubles
Note: If you haven't sufficient amount of K2 in blood you're going to get problems like calcification of arteries, lithiasis, etc.

Regina

the boats have left the harbor. Time to supplement D3.

Attachments

• IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 218

JCastro

5000 IU

In summer 2013, I took 50,000 a day as an experiment. It seemed to help impulsivity and addiction. My habits changed automatically. It's hard to say what else could have happened because I wasn't eating right back then.

Constatine

I am quite suspicious of vitamin d supplementation due to some reasons already stated on this forum, however I do think the supposed benefits are worth the risk. I used to take 20000 ui a day, then dropped down to 15000, and now I am taking 10000 ui with k2 and vitamin a. It does seem to improve general well being and as well as the dopamine system. I might do a mega dose experiment for a few weeks and report back how I feel. What would be a good dose to try that's not overly dangerous?

Frankdee20

I tested at 22, for a 30-100 range, and began taking 1-2,000 IU daily. I don't get much sun in NYC, so if I don't supplement, what else is left ? To me it's worth risking turning into a stone, but that's what Magnesium, and Vitamin K are for. To help keep Calcium in check. I noticed I'm getting night time erections again. I've noticed a new trend in my psychology to not wallow in depression as much. Coincidence, maybe, but why avoid treating it (low D) if I can help it ?

BibleBeliever

Usually have bad results with even 1000 iu of vitamin d; tried it in pill form and dropper. It does deepen the voice quite a bit, but I find it causes light headedness, fatigue and feelings of what appear to be thin blood; faintness.
Taking vitamin k2 and vitamin a do not appear to give any greater tolerance for it. Sometimes it also causes calcium crystals, especially in the shoulders. They make a snapping sound when I rotate enough.
All these negatives go away upon cessation of supplementing. Getting vitamin d from sunlight, milk and eggs do not cause this effect.

Boron increases vitamin d in the body, not sure if related to my reactions. I was taking 3mg of boron a day, but don't think it could cause that much of an effect to vitamin d supplementation in such a small dosage.
"The study took place in Serbia with supplementation beginning in October and concluding by January; in other words, the study occurred during the fall transition to winter, a time when vitamin-D status would be expected to worsen. Yet, with boron supplementation, 25(OH)D3 levels rose significantly, with an average rise of 20%.2"

Nothing Boring About Boron

Otherwise I found this about coffee/tea increasing vitamin d levels.
"Vitamin D levels were significantly highest among those consuming 9–12 cups of tea/week in all subjects (p-value 0.009) independent of age, gender, BMI, physical activity and sun exposure."
Tea and coffee consumption in relation to vitamin D and calcium levels in Saudi adolescents

Frankdee20

Usually have bad results with even 1000 iu of vitamin d; tried it in pill form and dropper. It does deepen the voice quite a bit, but I find it causes light headedness, fatigue and feelings of what appear to be thin blood; faintness.
Taking vitamin k2 and vitamin a do not appear to give any greater tolerance for it. Sometimes it also causes calcium crystals, especially in the shoulders. They make a snapping sound when I rotate enough.
All these negatives go away upon cessation of supplementing. Getting vitamin d from sunlight, milk and eggs do not cause this effect.

Boron increases vitamin d in the body, not sure if related to my reactions. I was taking 3mg of boron a day, but don't think it could cause that much of an effect to vitamin d supplementation in such a small dosage.
"The study took place in Serbia with supplementation beginning in October and concluding by January; in other words, the study occurred during the fall transition to winter, a time when vitamin-D status would be expected to worsen. Yet, with boron supplementation, 25(OH)D3 levels rose significantly, with an average rise of 20%.2"

Nothing Boring About Boron

Otherwise I found this about coffee/tea increasing vitamin d levels.
"Vitamin D levels were significantly highest among those consuming 9–12 cups of tea/week in all subjects (p-value 0.009) independent of age, gender, BMI, physical activity and sun exposure."
Tea and coffee consumption in relation to vitamin D and calcium levels in Saudi adolescents

Damn dude, I feel you on the shoulder crystal thing. I feel like D and K can **** with Calcium. The only thing that attenuated shoulder kinks for me is sufficient magnesium.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals