1. Spring Sale 10% Off @ LifeGivingStore.com Till June 10th With Coupon Code: SPRING2020
    Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. LifeGivingStore.com New Products List:
    Natural Dessicated Thyroid

Magnesium Hydroxide

Dismiss Notice

How Much Thyroid Would Be In A Mouse Or Bird?

Discussion in 'Animals' started by boris, Feb 12, 2020.

1. boris

boris Member

How much T3 T4 would be in a living mouse or similarly sized bird body and gland? I‘m asking for my cat. I googled without success.

Estimations and wild guesses are more than welcome ;)

2. lampofred

lampofred Member

Pretty sure birds have insane thyroid activity relative to their body weight considering they operate at 110 degrees or something like that.

Maybe you could just add a very small amount, 1/16th of a tablet daily or something, to your pet's food and track temperature until it gets to the right number, raising dosage every 2 weeks as necessary. Or maybe call a vet for guidelines.

EDIT: ah I didn't fully read the question. nvm.

3. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

- Comparative Pharmacotherapy of Thyroid Diseases in Dogs and Cats--What Should the Retail Pharmacist Filling Pet Prescriptions Understand?

I would start slowly as lampofred suggested.

"Dose is equally related to body weight although it is not the lone factor which influences the scaling for dose calculation. The correction factor (Km) is estimated by dividing the average body weight (kg) of species to its body surface area (m2). For example, the average human body weight is 60 kg, and the body surface area is 1.62 m2. Therefore, the Km factor for human is calculated by dividing 60 by 1.62, which is 37 [Table 1]."

"HED (mg / kg) = Animal dose (mg / kg) × (Animal Km / Human Km)"​

4. OP
    boris

boris Member

Thanks a lot guys!