How Much Thyroid Should I Take?

Tcrazyjam

Hello,

i am on Thyroid for 1 Week now, i take 1/4 grain in the morning and 1/4 grain in the afternoon. But unfortunately i feel nothing :? Should i stay another week or can i take 1 grain now?

Thanks

Stilgar

It depends, what kind of thyroid are you taking? Did you have bloodwork/diagnosis prior, or are you self diagnosing based on symptoms?

In my experience jumping up a dose too quickly isn't pleasant, but then I was up all night the first time I took a tiny dose, so that might just be me :lol:

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

I am taking thyroid from pimpom and just self diagnosing based on symptoms.
Maybe i can take 1/2 grain at morning, and 1/4 at afternoon (+ 1/4 grain) :)

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Hi,

i do feel nothing on thyroid. that is curious ... may be i need a much larger dose ( now 3/4 grain ) :(

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Tracking pulse and temperature is very useful.

You seem to be raising the dose extremely fast.

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Actually i was on 1/2 grain for 7 days. Now 3/4 grain - i want to stay on that for the next 7 days. Pulse is around 90 beats/min. I will check Temperature tomorrow.
Thanks

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It takes 4-6 weeks for T4 to build up.

octaviankid

I had the same question.....

I started taking 3/4grain/day divided into 3 doses...I read the article on here "How to use NDT" I think is its title...and apparently they started people on 1-2grains per day. I wasn't feeling anything at all on 1grain, and went up to 2grains/day...My mood and energy is better, but pulse rate is still low....Per the article, ou should increase by 1/2 or so every two weeks based on your temp/pulse..I'm using Thiroyd

aguilaroja

tobieagle said:
Charlie said:
It takes 4-6 weeks for T4 to build up.

Its about 2 weeks...

"You're both right" :^)

AFAIK it is only possible to know ONLY approximately when T4 reaches equilibrium, which is in the range of a few weeks. Levothyroxine/T4 has a half life in healthy "euthyroid" people in the range of 7 days. But half life does not mean that in two weeks things reach steady state-it is closer to 3 and 1/2 weeks.

But if thyroid or liver function itself is sluggish, then the T4 half life will be longer. So it can take even longer to reach equilibrium. And if the thyroid function improves in the midst of treatment, steady state could be reached sooner than the expected delay. And the average pharmacokinetic data describe an overall picture, rather than individual variation.

Practically speaking, a suffering person would like to know the trend of labs, and lab test feedback in two weeks may give a helpful, if not perfect, guideline. Waiting a month or more would give a more definitive number.

Forum readers understand that symptoms and physical findings and monitoring pulse/temperature are very important to put together with lab tests for decision making. We use labs the way doctors say doctors should use labs: as guidance that the diagnosis and clinical results are on track.

snorincats

I am taking thyroid from pimpom and just self diagnosing based on symptoms.
Maybe i can take 1/2 grain at morning, and 1/4 at afternoon (+ 1/4 grain) :)

I'm new to the forum, so please excuse me if this has been mentioned before, or I'm in the wrong place.
I can't get over the arrogance and God Complex of doctors. I'm on Naturethroid and it has been a lifesaver. Synthroid made me want to die. However, my doctor refuses to prescribe more than 2 grains. In the last 8 months, as hypo symptoms returned, I raised 1/4 grain at a time every 4-6 weeks (though raising with no increase in strength burns through my prescription faster). 3 1/2 grains seems to be the start of the sweet spot---brain fog gone, aches and pains gone, and I've lost 16 lbs (Synthroid put 40 lbs on me in 6 months, with no change in diet and exercise). The doctor yelled at me yesterday for increasing the dosage myself, even though I have repeatedly asked for an increase and raised slowly. Also, after stressing me out by yelling, he took my BP, which was, of course, high (duh). Then he used that reading to "prove " his point that I was risking a heart attack. He also uses the automatic wrist cuff, however, 10 days ago, another doctor I saw (for a sprained ankle) took my BP with the old fashioned manual arm cuff, and it was Normal! Anyway, I guess I'm going to have to accept the 2 grain prescription and just supplement the extra 1 1/2 grains with the Pimpom products---while trying to find another doctor who will prescribe more than 2 grains of Naturethroid.
Not sure about equivalents. How much Thiroyd or Thyroid-S would make up the extra 1 1/2 grains? Also, are they porcine or bovine thyroid?
Thanks-
Kathy

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm new to the forum, so please excuse me if this has been mentioned before, or I'm in the wrong place.
I can't get over the arrogance and God Complex of doctors. I'm on Naturethroid and it has been a lifesaver. Synthroid made me want to die. However, my doctor refuses to prescribe more than 2 grains. In the last 8 months, as hypo symptoms returned, I raised 1/4 grain at a time every 4-6 weeks (though raising with no increase in strength burns through my prescription faster). 3 1/2 grains seems to be the start of the sweet spot---brain fog gone, aches and pains gone, and I've lost 16 lbs (Synthroid put 40 lbs on me in 6 months, with no change in diet and exercise). The doctor yelled at me yesterday for increasing the dosage myself, even though I have repeatedly asked for an increase and raised slowly. Also, after stressing me out by yelling, he took my BP, which was, of course, high (duh). Then he used that reading to "prove " his point that I was risking a heart attack. He also uses the automatic wrist cuff, however, 10 days ago, another doctor I saw (for a sprained ankle) took my BP with the old fashioned manual arm cuff, and it was Normal! Anyway, I guess I'm going to have to accept the 2 grain prescription and just supplement the extra 1 1/2 grains with the Pimpom products---while trying to find another doctor who will prescribe more than 2 grains of Naturethroid.
Not sure about equivalents. How much Thiroyd or Thyroid-S would make up the extra 1 1/2 grains? Also, are they porcine or bovine thyroid?
Thanks-
Kathy
InhouseChemist.vu
I believe this pharmacy carries Nature-Throid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals