How Much Soy Lecithin Is Commonly Used In Chocolate?

postman

Anyone know this? It would be interesting to know how much soy lecithin PUFA you would get from eating a 100g chocolate bar. From what I've read lecithin is about 35% soybean oil.

boris

Peat says for emulsyfing chocolate only a very miniscule amount of lecithin is needed. I think one don't has to worry about lecithin in chocolate. I avoid ice cream and other foods with lecithin.

/It would still be interesting to know how much is actually in it

Last edited:

boris

Ray Peat said:
[On lecithin in chocolate]

It takes just a small amount to emulsify it, so I don’t think it would be harmful. When an oil isn’t organic, I think the issue is the oil- or water-solubility of the herbicide or insecticide commonly used on the crop, and on that basis I would choose soy over sunflower, since the chemicals used on sunflowers are commonly oil soluble, and would tend to stay in the oil fraction in refining.

postman

Peat says for emulsyfing chocolate only a very miniscule amount of lecithin is needed. I think one don't has to worry about lecithin in chocolate. I avoid ice cream and other foods with lecithin.

/It would still be interesting to know how much is actually in it
Yeah I doubt it's very much but if you're already counting every single gram of PUFA, and you like to eat a lot of chocolate, maybe it can still be significant?

Thanks for posting that quote.

Vinny

The white one I buy says 34.7 grams of fat per 100 grams of product, of which 21.0 grams are saturated.
So, 13.7 grams are ..... pufa? If yes, then this can kill a horse ....

boris

@Vinny those are MUFAs (If it's real chocolate). It is protective, but can put on as weight if consumed in excess.

Does it list oil as and ingredient or just lecithin? If it lists oil. Then it's bad.

Amazoniac

- WO2016090020A1 - Methods of improving lecithin functionality and applications thereof | Google Patents

"The concentration of lecithin typically used in chocolate formulations varies from about 0.3% to about 0.4% by weight. While higher concentrations of lecithin can beneficially reduce the PV of chocolate, the yield value (YV) of the chocolate increases with increased lecithin concentration, resulting in undesired properties."​

- Lecithins and Phospholipids | American Lecithin

upload_2019-12-30_12-39-52.png

upload_2019-12-30_12-40-9.png

upload_2019-12-30_12-40-18.png

upload_2019-12-30_12-40-31.png

35% can be polyunsaturated fat. If it's used at a concentration of 0.5%, that would be 0.2%. In case you consume 30 g at a time, that's an ingestion of 0.06 g of PUFA. Even if it was all at 1%, it wouldn't be a brutal amount. It's lecithin supplementation that's really concerning because people shove down multiple grams of the stuff.

- Composition of Soybean Lecithin (Table 1)
- Combined effect of sesamin and soybean phospholipid on hepatic fatty acid metabolism in rats (Table 1 again)
- Evaluation of fat sources (lecithin, mono-glyceride and mono-diglyceride) in weaned pigs: Apparent total tract and ileal nutrient digestibilities (Table 2 for the first time)

It will vary depending on the source, but these provide you more specific information, like the oil fraction being mostly fat (975/1000 mg) and the phospholipid fraction having less of it (605/1000 mg), being possible to simplify as 100% and 60% of fat on each. Of those, we can consider 70% of the fat being polyunsaturated, so in terms of weight, 70% of oil and 45% of phospholipids are polyunsaturated fats. Some of these values are close to the ones above. Then you can find the total composition of oils and phospholipids and apply to them.

Vinny

@Vinny those are MUFAs (If it's real chocolate). It is protective, but can put on as weight if consumed in excess.

Does it list oil as and ingredient or just lecithin? If it lists oil. Then it's bad.
Ok.

No, it doesn't list oil (except cacao butter). It lists sunflower lecithin.
So, it should be safe. Thanks

Lollipop2

- WO2016090020A1 - Methods of improving lecithin functionality and applications thereof | Google Patents

"The concentration of lecithin typically used in chocolate formulations varies from about 0.3% to about 0.4% by weight. While higher concentrations of lecithin can beneficially reduce the PV of chocolate, the yield value (YV) of the chocolate increases with increased lecithin concentration, resulting in undesired properties."​

35% can be polyunsaturated fat. If it's used at a concentration of 0.5%, that would be 0.2%. In case you consume 30 g at a time, that's an ingestion of 0.06 g of PUFA. Even if it was all at 1%, it wouldn't be a brutal amount. It's lecithin supplementation that's really concerning because people shove down multiple grams of the stuff.

- Combined effect of sesamin and soybean phospholipid on hepatic fatty acid metabolism in rats (Table 1 again)
- Evaluation of fat sources (lecithin, mono-glyceride and mono-diglyceride) in weaned pigs: Apparent total tract and ileal nutrient digestibilities (Table 2 for the first time)

It will vary depending on the source, but these provide you more specific information, like the oil fraction being mostly fat (975/1000 mg) and the phospholipid fraction having less of it (605/1000 mg), being possible to simplify as 100% and 60% of fat on each. Of those, we can consider 70% of the fat being polyunsaturated, so in terms of weight, 70% of oil and 45% of phospholipids are polyunsaturated fats. Some of these values are close to the ones above. Then you can find the total composition of oils and phospholipids and apply to them.
Thanks for this. Great to know. But question: why use it at all when there are lots of good chocolates and white chocolates (recently discovered yummminess) that do not use any lecithin? The truth is they use it as a cheap excipient to make the chocolate easier to pour and mold rather than choosing to make it the better quality way.

postman

Thank you for all this info! :goodpost

Matt C

So I can keep eating chocolate, that's great. The chocolate I get has soy lecithin and it's the only ingredient i've been suspicious of.