How Much Sodium Is In The Diet? Is The RDA For Sodium Too High?

Amazoniac

From Gerson's book:

"Bunge conducted several experiments in 1901 on the need for salt. He found a small demand for salt in animals which eat a lot of meat, whereas he discovered the demand much greater in those living on vegetation. He believed that the same relationship was to be found among human beings. He found that the population of cities, in which larger quantities of meat were eaten, consumed one-third of the quantity of salt used by-the mainly vegetarian rural population. Similarly, he found little demand for salt among the meat-eating nomads. On the other hand, the salt demand among agricultural negroes was so great that, in some tribes, salt actually had barter value.

From his own experiments, Bunge gathered that the body eliminates large quantities of salt if it consumes much potassium, such as found in large quantities in vegetarian nutrition. (His classical experiment in 1901, however, is not indisputable theory, although its conclusions are correct.)

Abderhalden shared Bunge's views as to the reasons for the increased demand for salt among Vegetarian tribes: The higher potassium content of nutrition leads to increased elimination of sodium and, therefore, causes an increased demand for salt."

"Arguments against a "saltless" diet ("saltless" means without addition of salt to food) were enumerated by Wolff-Eisner[144] approximately as follows:
In a nutrition rich in vegetables, the body requires the addition of salt, as this does not occur in sufficient quantities in the food "as the only salt." As the potassium carbonate of vegetables combines in the organism with chloride and sodium to form sodium chloride and sodium carbonate, it causes the elimination of chloride and sodium. This means that sodium as well as chloride must be given to the body to make up this loss--hence the addition of salt!

In this work, Wolff-Eisner quotes the well-known experiments of Bunge, who asserted that regular partaking of potatoes, which contain 31-42 times more potassium than sodium, is possible only if NaCl is added to this food.

In the same work, strangely enough, it is mentioned that a) apples contain even 100 times more potassium than sodium, yet one may consume large quantities of apples--one may even have exclusive apple days--without the addition of NaCI.[*] b) According to general opinion, the hydrochloric acid of the stomach is dependent on the body's salt intake. Therefore, if the intake of salt is missing, the formation of hydrochloric acid must decrease, which would affect appetite, digestion, etc. for "lack of salt inhibits production of hydrochloric acid." c) Finally, WolffEisner remarks that the sweat of tubercular patients contains up to one per cent salt, so that perspiration deprives the body of salt.[145] d) Furthermore, it is said that the kidneys regulate the body's ionic state; in fever and in the majority of infectious diseases, the salt content of the urine is diminished, even if the patients are given salt. (Consequently, it is argued, there is no need to regulate the intake of salt, if the kidneys are healthy, as the kidneys regulate the elimination of salt anyway. Since, according to Roth-Koevesti, even diseased kidneys are capable of eliminating five grams of salt in a liter of urine, the intake of five grams of salt is unobjectionable for such kidneys.)"
*I have always wondered why fructose eliminates the craving for salt in a meal

"[..]if the elimination of NaCl from the body's salt resources is furthered by vegetarian nutrition, it is precisely that which my diet wants to achieve. The more salt is eliminated by it, the more effective the diet is in some respects. It appears to us that it would be equally inexpedient to replace the decreased sodium and chloride, which we desire, by the feeding of salt, as it would be inexpedient to make up increased elimination of sugar in the urine of diabetics by increasing sugar intake." [: idi]

"The fact that diseased kidneys are still capable of eliminating five grams of NaCl per liter of urine has no particular meaning for our problem regarding the quantity of salt intake. Nevertheless, the chloride ion deserves a special position among the stances to be concentrated by the kidneys. While the kidneys are capable of increasing concentration of uric substance 40-80 times, uric acid 25-50 times; sugar (in diabetes) 30-50 times over their concentrations in the plasma, chloride concentration can be increased only two to five times.[150] For the past 40 years, practical experience was gathered about the effects of salt limitation upon diseases of kidneys. It was shown just here that radical limitation of salt intake, in the sense of Straus' "strict form" (with less than 2.5 g of NaCl per day) or the "third degree" of Noorden (with 1.5-3 g of NaCl per day) which corresponds to the usual saltless nutrition, decreases the burden on the diseased kidneys. "As soon as the diseased kidneys are not over-irritated and over-burdened by the excessive intake of chlorides in nutrition, they recover in an amazingly short time and ... Eliminate more NaCl on a saltless diet than on the previously salt-rich diet!"[151]"

"Therefore, we cannot as yet make any definite statements about the roles of chloride and sodium--both individually--as well as in their combination in NaCl and in other combinations. We must be content by establishing certain relationships and conditions in a healthy or a sick body."

"The main task of the saltless diet is to eliminate the retained Na, Cl, H20, together with toxins and poisons from the tissues all over the body."

InChristAlone

From Gerson's book:

"Bunge conducted several experiments in 1901 on the need for salt. He found a small demand for salt in animals which eat a lot of meat, whereas he discovered the demand much greater in those living on vegetation. He believed that the same relationship was to be found among human beings. He found that the population of cities, in which larger quantities of meat were eaten, consumed one-third of the quantity of salt used by-the mainly vegetarian rural population. Similarly, he found little demand for salt among the meat-eating nomads. On the other hand, the salt demand among agricultural negroes was so great that, in some tribes, salt actually had barter value.

From his own experiments, Bunge gathered that the body eliminates large quantities of salt if it consumes much potassium, such as found in large quantities in vegetarian nutrition. (His classical experiment in 1901, however, is not indisputable theory, although its conclusions are correct.)

Abderhalden shared Bunge's views as to the reasons for the increased demand for salt among Vegetarian tribes: The higher potassium content of nutrition leads to increased elimination of sodium and, therefore, causes an increased demand for salt."

"Arguments against a "saltless" diet ("saltless" means without addition of salt to food) were enumerated by Wolff-Eisner[144] approximately as follows:
In a nutrition rich in vegetables, the body requires the addition of salt, as this does not occur in sufficient quantities in the food "as the only salt." As the potassium carbonate of vegetables combines in the organism with chloride and sodium to form sodium chloride and sodium carbonate, it causes the elimination of chloride and sodium. This means that sodium as well as chloride must be given to the body to make up this loss--hence the addition of salt!

In this work, Wolff-Eisner quotes the well-known experiments of Bunge, who asserted that regular partaking of potatoes, which contain 31-42 times more potassium than sodium, is possible only if NaCl is added to this food.

In the same work, strangely enough, it is mentioned that a) apples contain even 100 times more potassium than sodium, yet one may consume large quantities of apples--one may even have exclusive apple days--without the addition of NaCI.[*] b) According to general opinion, the hydrochloric acid of the stomach is dependent on the body's salt intake. Therefore, if the intake of salt is missing, the formation of hydrochloric acid must decrease, which would affect appetite, digestion, etc. for "lack of salt inhibits production of hydrochloric acid." c) Finally, WolffEisner remarks that the sweat of tubercular patients contains up to one per cent salt, so that perspiration deprives the body of salt.[145] d) Furthermore, it is said that the kidneys regulate the body's ionic state; in fever and in the majority of infectious diseases, the salt content of the urine is diminished, even if the patients are given salt. (Consequently, it is argued, there is no need to regulate the intake of salt, if the kidneys are healthy, as the kidneys regulate the elimination of salt anyway. Since, according to Roth-Koevesti, even diseased kidneys are capable of eliminating five grams of salt in a liter of urine, the intake of five grams of salt is unobjectionable for such kidneys.)"
*I have always wondered why fructose eliminates the craving for salt in a meal

"[..]if the elimination of NaCl from the body's salt resources is furthered by vegetarian nutrition, it is precisely that which my diet wants to achieve. The more salt is eliminated by it, the more effective the diet is in some respects. It appears to us that it would be equally inexpedient to replace the decreased sodium and chloride, which we desire, by the feeding of salt, as it would be inexpedient to make up increased elimination of sugar in the urine of diabetics by increasing sugar intake." [: idi]

"The fact that diseased kidneys are still capable of eliminating five grams of NaCl per liter of urine has no particular meaning for our problem regarding the quantity of salt intake. Nevertheless, the chloride ion deserves a special position among the stances to be concentrated by the kidneys. While the kidneys are capable of increasing concentration of uric substance 40-80 times, uric acid 25-50 times; sugar (in diabetes) 30-50 times over their concentrations in the plasma, chloride concentration can be increased only two to five times.[150] For the past 40 years, practical experience was gathered about the effects of salt limitation upon diseases of kidneys. It was shown just here that radical limitation of salt intake, in the sense of Straus' "strict form" (with less than 2.5 g of NaCl per day) or the "third degree" of Noorden (with 1.5-3 g of NaCl per day) which corresponds to the usual saltless nutrition, decreases the burden on the diseased kidneys. "As soon as the diseased kidneys are not over-irritated and over-burdened by the excessive intake of chlorides in nutrition, they recover in an amazingly short time and ... Eliminate more NaCl on a saltless diet than on the previously salt-rich diet!"[151]"

"Therefore, we cannot as yet make any definite statements about the roles of chloride and sodium--both individually--as well as in their combination in NaCl and in other combinations. We must be content by establishing certain relationships and conditions in a healthy or a sick body."

"The main task of the saltless diet is to eliminate the retained Na, Cl, H20, together with toxins and poisons from the tissues all over the body."
I'm so confused. I thought eating meat needed more salt because of the higher need for stomach acid. But I also thought that consuming a lot of potassium would excrete more sodium. So basically only if you have diseased kidneys should you go saltless?

Amazoniac

I'm so confused. I thought eating meat needed more salt because of the higher need for stomach acid. But I also thought that consuming a lot of potassium would excrete more sodium. So basically only if you have diseased kidneys should you go saltless?
It's about keeping the natural proportions. I have the impression that people are after sodium but have to deal with chloride to get it, since sodium is crucial for dealing with stress, then they end up having more chloride than ideal. Sodium chloride is present in blood, it can't be a problem to have some of it in the diet. The problem is unusual and unbalanced amounts.
Sodium bicarbonate is given when the kidneys are failing, so chloride must be the problem.

Waynish

No. I eat is raw.

What percentage of your diet is raw? Do you not believe that the further down nature's typical metabolism (bacteria -> plant -> animal) the more concentration of nutrition (energy & structure)?

OP
Travis

Travis

What percentage of your diet is raw? Do you not believe that the further down nature's typical metabolism (bacteria -> plant -> animal) the more concentration of nutrition (energy & structure)?
Nearly all of it, just like over 99% of all the other mammals. I hold the majority viewpoint in this regard, so the practice of cooking food is what demands justification or explanation.

On account of humans drinking so much water, I can how a little salt would become a good idea. Although sodium chloride crystals are not exactly natural to consume for a land-locked mammal, drinking distilled water by the quart isn't either. As it's well-known that salt increases the desire and necessity of water, the converse should also hold.

InChristAlone

Nearly all of it, just like over 99% of all the other mammals. I hold the majority viewpoint in this regard, so the practice of cooking food is what demands justification or explanation.

On account of humans drinking so much water, I can how a little salt would become a good idea. Although sodium chloride crystals are not exactly natural to consume for a land-locked mammal, drinking distilled water by the quart isn't either. As it's well-known that salt increases the desire and necessity of water, the converse should also hold.
There's that appeal to nature fallacy. :p: It is argued with the advent of cooking and meat came larger brain size. :D Our brains use up a lot of calories. I feel like it's only because of Big Ag raw foodism is even possible. Otherwise you'd be chewing your fibrous fruits all day long.

Last edited:

X3CyO

Just because everyone doing one thing one way doesn't make it correct either.

Fruit and milk are pretty high calorie and can be eaten raw, and are the main foods peat reccomends.

InChristAlone

Just because everyone doing one thing one way doesn't make it correct either.

Fruit and milk are pretty high calorie and can be eaten raw, and are the main foods peat reccomends.
I used to drink raw milk, but it was very pricey and I couldn't afford to subsist on that for my main protein. I also don't agree with only eating 'shipped in out of season come from huge farms down near the equator where laborers are paid next to nothing' fruit. I did just purchase a baby watermelon today, but I know it wasn't grown here! Bananas I'm guilty of buying a lot of despite knowing the conditions workers are working in, I won't buy dole though because their workers ended up infertile from the chemicals being used.

Jennifer

InChristAlone

@Janelle525 – I was concerned about the treatment of those working in the banana industry, too and now only buy a certain brand. This site lists the more ethical ones:

Ethical shopping guide to Bananas, from Ethical Consumer

Chocolate is another one to watch out for. I find this site to be a good resource for sourcing ethical food:

Food Empowerment Project | Because your food choices can change the world
I'm confused on that ethical consumer site, it won't show you why a company received the ratings it did unless you sign up for a membership? Why is Dole an 8 and Chiquita way lower? Did Dole clean up it's act? There was a whole documentary exposing them.

Yeah chocolate is a big one. I hate it that most cheap food shipped in is suspect. There's a new sweet cantaloupe at Walmart from Guatemala, I was really surprised. I was sick of seeing all those unripe melons, I complain about it every year. How unsustainable that is, to use all that water, fertilizers, labor, fuel to sell a product that is inedible.

X3CyO

I used to drink raw milk, but it was very pricey and I couldn't afford to subsist on that for my main protein. I also don't agree with only eating 'shipped in out of season come from huge farms down near the equator where laborers are paid next to nothing' fruit. I did just purchase a baby watermelon today, but I know it wasn't grown here! Bananas I'm guilty of buying a lot of despite knowing the conditions workers are working in, I won't buy dole though because their workers ended up infertile from the chemicals being used.

Yeah. I cant wait for local farming to take over.

Jennifer

I'm confused on that ethical consumer site, it won't show you why a company received the ratings it did unless you sign up for a membership? Why is Dole an 8 and Chiquita way lower? Did Dole clean up it's act? There was a whole documentary exposing them.

Yeah chocolate is a big one. I hate it that most cheap food shipped in is suspect. There's a new sweet cantaloupe at Walmart from Guatemala, I was really surprised. I was sick of seeing all those unripe melons, I complain about it every year. How unsustainable that is, to use all that water, fertilizers, labor, fuel to sell a product that is inedible.
Yeah, it seems so. Honestly, I just lump Dole and Chiquita together on the ethical scale and have been lucky enough to find the Equal Exchange brand the other site recommends so I get those:

Peeling Back the Truth on Bananas | Food Empowerment Project

Huh, is it the melon they call Summer Kiss? But yeah, I thought the same thing – so unsustainable and all that unripe fruit going to waste because they're inedible. I try to stick mostly to fruit that's in season, but even that hasn't been a guarantee and it has only gotten worse with each passing year IME. That's part of the reason I'm moving soon.

I've pretty much given up on watermelon until I can grow it myself. They get it from Georgia and Florida here in the summer and the melon is so bad it's oftentimes light pink or even white. I'm debating between Hawaii and Tybee Island/Savannah, GA so I hope that the watermelon isn't an indication of Georgia's soil quality and more an indication of shoddy growing practices.

Mito

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-04-highlights-health-economic-benefits-salt.html

“New research, published in PLOS Medicine (Estimating the health and economic effects of the proposed US Food and Drug Administration voluntary sodium reformulation: Microsimulation cost-effectiveness analysis), conducted by researchers at the University of Liverpool, Imperial College London, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts and collaborators as part of the Food-PRICE project, highlights the potential health and economic impact of the United States (US) Food and Drug Administration's proposed voluntary salt policy.

Excess salt consumption is associated with higher risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and gastric cancer. Globally, more than 1.5 million CVD related deaths every year can be attributed to the excess dietary salt intake.

They found that the optimal scenario, 100% compliance with the 10-year FDA targets, could prevent approximately 450,000 CVD cases, gain 2 million Quality Adjusted Life Years (QALYs) and produce discounted cost savings of approximately $40 billion over a 20 year period (2017-2016).”

X3CyO

So if it's not physiological need, then maybe it's for bacterial suppression?
After all, it just all goes out the other end apparently.
Tastes good. Why?

Potassium chloride by itself is disgusting.

squanch

Just my personal experience:
I currently eat a potassium:sodium ratio of somewhere between 2:1 and 3:1.

Anything higher than a ~ 4:1 ratio and I will get cold hands / feet and frequent, clear urination.

Last edited:

Nicole W.

I have been eating everyday a 10oz pack of Deglet Noors, one entire mature coconut, one pound of kale, and one pineapple. I just added up the mineral contents as %RDA.

Calcium 93%
Iron 136%
Magnesium 134%
Phosphorus 96%
Potassium 180%
Sodium 12%
Zinc 56%
Copper 229%
Manganese 881%
Selenium 74%

The RDA for sodium is ridiculous. There is absolutely no way that you can get a sodium RDA without using salt or seaweed. This means that 99% of land-based animals (squirrels, deer, birds, raccoons, ect) cannot possible get as much sodium as the Nutrition Board is recommending.

I think there are politics involved in the salt RDA because it is ridiculous of you think about it.

The total amount of protein is 47 grams.
coconut[ one]=13.2g
Dates [10oz]=14g
Kale [pound]=15g
Pineapple [one]=4.8g

The total energy is 2884 Calories.
coconut=1405
Dates=790
Kale=227
Pineapple=462

Nothing wrong here IMO. A little zinc from pumpkin seeds might be appropriate.

Does anyone know if the cronometer does these calculations for you? I just signed up but I haven't received the validation E-mail yet. I am doing these calculations by hand and it is kinda tedious.
I know your query is about the sodium RDA, but are you aware and/or concerned about the heavy metals that accumulate in kale and other crucifers? A few years back, a woman in my area nearly died from over consumption of kale. She was juicing organic kale everyday trying to be “healthy”. Sadly, it was determined that she was toxic with very high levels of thallium and cesium due to the bioaccumalation of these heavy metals in the kale she was consuming. It seems like you really enjoy kale so I thought I’d mention this phenomenon in case you hadn’t heard of it. Consuming a pound of kale frequently seems like a lot to me so just wanted to reach out and mention it.

OP
Travis

Travis

I know your query is about the sodium RDA, but are you aware and/or concerned about the heavy metals that accumulate in kale and other crucifers? A few years back, a woman in my area nearly died from over consumption of kale. She was juicing organic kale everyday trying to be “healthy”. Sadly, it was determined that she was toxic with very high levels of thallium and cesium due to the bioaccumalation of these heavy metals in the kale she was consuming. It seems like you really enjoy kale so I thought I’d mention this phenomenon in case you hadn’t heard of it. Consuming a pound of kale frequently seems like a lot to me so just wanted to reach out and mention it.
That sounds unbelievable. Why don't you blame the soil and not the kale? and wouldn't you think that many plants and mushrooms grown in the same toxic soil would also accumulate it's characteristic ions?

Did this person live next door to an industrial factory for producing car batteries or something?

Nicole W.

That sounds unbelievable. Why don't you blame the soil and not the kale? and wouldn't you think that many plants and mushrooms grown in the same toxic soil would also accumulate it's characteristic ions?

Did this person live next door to an industrial factory for producing car batteries or something?
No, she lived in one the cleanest, most beautiful part of Northern California ironically: Marin. Now granted, we have several superfund sites here in NoCal but all things taken into consideration, she lives in a pretty “clean” area. Additionally, most of our produce comes from the Central Valley, hours away from where she lives. She sounded like she was pretty granola, I’m sure all her produce came from one of the lovely farmer’s markets we have here. Another thought I had is if she is juicing pounds of kale everyday she had to have been experiencing some goitergenic consequences, don’t you think? One of her symptoms was hair loss for example, so low thyroid function came to mind. However, she was tested and found to have extraordinarily high levels of heavy metals also. Maybe the impaired thyroid prevented her body from detoxifying them? Who knows?
Btw, the heavy metals are absolutely coming from the soil, but for some reason that I’m not really clear on, crucifers have a tendency to superaccumulate (if that’s even a word) heavy metals from where ever they are grown. I don’t want to completely ruin your day here, but um, unfortunately mushrooms are supposed to be major sponges also....for radiation. That’s what we heard here in California when the Fukushima accident occurred. Don’t Eat The Mushrooms... headline news, lol. At the time people here were testing white button mushrooms from the store with those radiation detectors and supposedly the mushrooms grown here were off the charts. I think there’s probably something unfortunate in everything we eat, so my approach is everything in moderation and try not to consume the same foods day after day. Mix it up.

InChristAlone

Yeah sunflowers are good at taking up lead for instance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom