how much salt?

slayers

How much extra salt do you add, not including the normal sodium found in your foods.. I mean the salt you actually add

I been using 1-3teaspoons of extra salt a day... and I still find my sodium levels are a tad low..... I know some people take florinef due to aldoesterone/renin issues...

jaa

I add salt to food until it tastes the best to me. Sometimes it's a little, sometimes a lot. Occassionally I will add a small amount of salt (< 1/2 tsp) to my coffee or oj

jaketthomas

The subject of salt really hits home with me. I avoided salt like it was poison for over 10 years. As a result, I couldn't hold onto any water whatsoever. My bodyfat got extremely low. Under 6%. I looked ripped on the beach, but felt like absolute ***t. I generally take at least 1 tsp of unrefined pink sea salt every day--sometimes more. Generally, I find OJ seems to require extra salt to be utilized properly. I don't know why, it just does. I once read this from Dr. Batmanghelij (sp?), and found it to be true in my own body. I use about 1/4 tsp salt for every glass of OJ I consume.

Dutchie

Its something,since eating more peatish,im still strugling with in a very unpleasant way.bc nowadays im battling with these waterswollen legs issues which i really need to get rid of asap and just dont know how to achieve it permanently.
Sometimes it seems its about sugar/salt balance,sodium/potassium,fiber/no fiber and fluid intake,sometimes it seems to be something else.hydration/dehydration

pboy

probably about 1 teaspoon a day. It was more when I was first getting into the Peat info, but I've lowered fruit juice consumption since and consequently salt with it. Jake, I also found that more juice meant I would need more salt...I think its a potassium / sodium ratio thing but not 100% on that (fruit/juices are really high in potassium)

Mittir

There is a direct relationship between parathyroid hormone and aldosterone/renin. I have noticed that i need lot less salt now after increasing calcium intake , it is around 1500-2000 mg. Vitamin D is also essential in lowering PTH. If you can , check your PTH. Hypothyroidism also increases need for salt. I used to had 1 tbs of extra salt and now it is about 1 tsp.

Dutchie

Dutchie said:
Its something,since eating more peatish,im still strugling with in a very unpleasant way.bc nowadays im battling with these waterswollen legs issues which i really need to get rid of asap and just dont know how to achieve it permanently.
Sometimes it seems its about sugar/salt balance,sodium/potassium,fiber/no fiber and fluid intake,sometimes it seems to be something else.hydration/dehydration
I also wonder if the acid/alkaline bLance migth be a factod in this,especially i- regards to energy?problems that theresno defenitive trustsorthy list,they all contradict themselves.

I also wonder,how much of eating. this way incrrases intuitevety on a trustworthy level?bc i now sometimes crave/think of foods&combos which i havent had in years and weidly most of it none at all!so dont even know what it tastes like.

BingDing

Kate Skinner is in line with RP, she says 2 tsp a day is probably good, or to taste. source That's about what I try for. I've never quite figured out the 2-3 Tbsp/day mentioned by a couple of people, that's way too much for me.

Dutchie

its sometimes really hard to sense bc some foods,such as dates,dont taste salty but it turns out they contain quite some sodium....
So,what is the normal ratio for sodium/potassium balance? I know it also is quite person specific regarding adrenal fatigue/stress,hypothyroidism etc. And there are also different types of salt and sodium in itself.

Jenn

Eat homemade french fries and salt to taste. That way you get BOTH salt and potassium. Swelling is cellular intake of sodium, calcium and water due to stress and or lack of energy. To reverse that process requires energy, potassium and magnesium, the exchange happen all the time, but stress causes the sodium, calcium, water to get stuck there...hence swelling.

4peatssake

Jenn said:
Eat homemade french fries and salt to taste. That way you get BOTH salt and potassium. Swelling is cellular intake of sodium, calcium and water due to stress and or lack of energy. To reverse that process requires energy, potassium and magnesium, the exchange happen all the time, but stress causes the sodium, calcium, water to get stuck there...hence swelling.

I just looked up your recipe and I'm going to make these right now!
My mouth's watering already!!

lick-lips.gif

true blue

I realize that exact amounts can't be given, but when adding salt while Peating, how much do you normally end up consuming in a day's time? A teaspoon? A tablespoon? How much are we supposed to need?

(Searching for 'salt' in the forum brought up over 2,000 hits, so I figured I'd just ask. :) Also, I wasn't sure if I should ask this here or in the supplement section, but because salt seems to be talked about in conjunction with sugar a lot, and sugar topics are here, I posted it here.)

[Edit mod: Merged this thread with an older one.]

true blue

Of course, now that I've posted, the handy little 'similar topics' box came up with all sorts of promising threads. I'm off to check them out.

4peatssake

true blue said:
Of course, now that I've posted, the handy little 'similar topics' box came up with all sorts of promising threads. I'm off to check them out.
We have our very own Ray Peat search engine - courtesy of forum member Dan Wich - which is a handy resource.

Ray Peat Search Engine

marcar72

I generally use 2 level teaspoons/day. I seem to remember coming to that amount as a somewhat general consensus from the posts I searched on these forums. I usually take 1 teaspoon regular salt in a pint of OJ and 1 teaspoon iodized salt in another pint of OJ both towards the end of the day to help with sleep quality. :2cents

4peatssake

RP recommends against iodized salt and suggests using Morton's Canning Salt. He says salt food to taste. Sometimes I crave salt and that is how I know I need to up my intake.

Ray Peat said:
Our instincts give us a few clues about our nutritional needs, such as thirst, the hunger for salt, the pleasantness of sweet things, and the unpleasantness of certain odors or very acrid or bitter tastes. People who are constitutionally unable to taste certain bitter chemicals find certain vegetables less objectionable; their instinctive guidance has become less clear. But within the boundaries of cravings and disgust, habits and customs become the dominant forces in diet. "Professional dietitians" and other "experts" primarily function as enforcers of cultural prejudice.
Source

Good info on salt in this RP article:

When energy fails: Edema, heart failure, hypertension, sarcopenia, etc.