How Much Protein Do You Get In A Day? What Are Your Main Protein Sources?

Logan-

How much protein do you get in a day? What are your main protein sources? How much do you weigh? How tall are you? How physically active are you?

6’3 205 lifter with a 1200 total as of now; not into trying to increase strength as fast as I can though. I’m 30yo and not into rushing things. TDEE is somewhere over 3000 kcal

Cronometer says ~150g. High carbs (2:1 glucose to fructose ratio spares protein)

Main Sources: shellfish, beef, broth, gelatin, dairy, rice apparently

185 6'1 i usually only get like 80-110 grams a day, most days like 100. pork, eggs, 1-2 cups of milk, shellfish, and potatoes. im not very physically active aside from walking around on campus at my uni

kreeese

protein is mostly a scam Im 50 6 foot 3 200 pounds weight lifter I maybe get 80 to 100 a day I never really check or care....I find it ridiculous to try to get what fake bodybuilder supplement culture tells us we need which would be for me about 2 to 300 grams a day...cmonnnn lol

6’3 200lbs fellow lifter! I’m actually in the process of going down to 130g a day. Mostly because I’m supplementing one ounce of collagen peptides a day and that’s about it...

Took me 6 years to get it aha. Carbs will do nearly everything proteins do, and will do it better.

OP
L

Logan-

These quotes are from Ray Peat:

“Because some estrogen is secreted in the bile, adequate fiber in the diet (oats, potato. or raw carrots, for example) and regular bowel function help to prevent the build-up of estrogen, which inhibits the thyroid. (Estrogen which has been excreted in the bile can be reabsorbed from the intestine if there is slow transit time and too little fiber.) A deficiency of B vitamins or protein is also known to prevent the liver from excreting estrogen. One of the ways in which starvation inhibits thyroid function is by damaging the liver function. Vegetarians are sometimes dangerously deficient in protein, and in that state the body is very resistant to thyroid hormone. Elevated serum calcium is probably one of the factors in creating a slate of thyroid-resistance during stress.”

“Adequate protein and B vitamins are essential. Vitamin A protects some tissues, such as the breasts, against estrogen’s effects, including cancer, and generally offers protection against estrogen by increasing progesterone. Several studies found that vitamin E protects against estrogen’s harmful effects. A thyroid supplement can reliably lower estrogen, by increasing the liver’s ability to excrete it. Unsaturated oils have a strongly estrogen- promoting action, and should be avoided. Raw carrots can help, by preventing the reabsorption of estrogen which has been secreted into the intestine with the bile. Adequate sunlight helps to maintain a healthy balance of the hormones in certain circumstances, natural progesterone can help to reestablish a balance of hormones”

“Estrogenic influences can be significantly reduced by avoiding foods such as soy products and unsaturated fats, by eating enough protein to optimize the liver’s elimination of estrogen, and by using things such as bulk-forming foods (raw carrots, potatoes, and milk, for example) that stimulate bowel action and prevent reabsorption of estrogens from the intestine. Avoiding hypothyroidism is essential for preventing chronic retention or formation of too much estrogen.”

"Protein deficiency itself contributes to the harm done by toxins, since the liver’s ability to detoxify them depends on adequate nutrition, especially good protein. In the 1940s, Biskind’s experiments showed that protein deficiency leads to the accumulation of estrogen, because the liver normally inactivates all the estrogen in the blood as it passes through the liver. This applies to phytoestrogens and industrial estrogens as well as to the natural estrogens of the body. At a certain point, the increased estrogen and decreased thyroid and progesterone cause infertility, but before that point is reached, the hyperestrogenism causes a great variety of birth defects. Deformities of the male genitals, and later, testicular cancer in the sons and breast cancer in the daughters, are produced by the combination of toxins and nutritional deficiencies."

He considers 0.8g/kg a low-protein diet:

Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs. respiratory energy
"A low protein diet, similar to that eaten by a large proportion of women (0.8 g/kg of body weight) increases PTH, and so probably contributes to the development of osteoporosis and the diseases of calcification."

- he gets from 120 to 150 grams of protein per day. Doesn't feel quite
right when he goes as low as 100. A few quarts of milk, several ounces
of cheese, gelatin in some form (broth, chicharrones, gummy bears,
etc.), at least a quart of orange juice (or equivalent other fruit),
and the occasional (rotating) eggs, shellfish, fish, and beef, bison,
or lamb, in one or two of his meals.

From Ray Peat Email Exchanges:

[Protein requirement] For intense exercise, it's about a gram per pound of body weight.

I've always been very sedentary, but I have usually had close to 150 grams daily. The traditional meat eaters didn't waste anything,ate all the skin, ears, tails, snouts, feet,tendons, lungs, intestines, marrow, blood,brains, gonads and other glands, picked the ligaments off the bones, so they had a much better balance of amino acids. (Small town restaurants in Mexico, China, etc., still serve those.) Muscle meats are essentially a refined food.

That's more than enough, and with low thyroid function the excess of tryptophan, methionine, and cystein can lower your thyroid even more. Until your metabolic rate is higher, 80 to 100 grams would be better. Replacing it with sugar, or very well cooked starch, would support thyroid function.

Milk and cheese are the best foods for getting enough calcium, and they will help to keep your protein intake up; an active person needs at least 100 grams daily for efficiency. ...80 grams of protein daily is probably enough for a medium sized person who isn't very active.

Daily protein should be at least 80 grams, and fruit should provide a large part of the calories. A little vitamin B6 (10 mg) can help with amino acid metabolism

Hazarlar

I sometimes eat 80 - 100 grams of protein in one meal. It's usually pork steak, chicken breast or some fish. If I eat also cheese (about 300 g) that thay; my protein intake might be 200 - 250 grams.

And in other days like today, I have not eaten any protein per se. Cronometer shows just 17.6 grams of protein, and its 8pm. There is a theory of protein resistance, that suggests low protein consumption is some days.

Actually I don't feel much difference between high and low protein days. And I have not worked out about 4 years now.

Though I know that high fructose consumption (from fruits and white/brown sugar) definitely preserves muscle (with a risk of getting fat).

I weigh as much as I did in my bodybuilding days 80kg (175 lbs) ... without working out ... and with minimal fat deposits. (Height 175 cm. / 5.7) Before starting Peat inspired feeding, i was nearly 70 kg (155 lbs).

jet9

I sometimes eat 80 - 100 grams of protein in one meal. It's usually pork steak, chicken breast or some fish. If I eat also cheese (about 300 g) that thay; my protein intake might be 200 - 250 grams.

And in other days like today, I have not eaten any protein per se. Cronometer shows just 17.6 grams of protein, and its 8pm. There is a theory of protein resistance, that suggests low protein consumption is some days.

Actually I don't feel much difference between high and low protein days. And I have not worked out about 4 years now.

Though I know that high fructose consumption (from fruits and white/brown sugar) definitely preserves muscle (with a risk of getting fat).

I weigh as much as I did in my bodybuilding days 80kg (175 lbs) ... without working out ... and with minimal fat deposits. (Height 175 cm. / 5.7) Before starting Peat inspired feeding, i was nearly 70 kg (155 lbs).
Are you getting most of the carbs from fruits?

Luckytype

Big difference in quality of warmth by increaseing my protein up to 130-150g per day.

I tend to get 40-60g from gelatin(convenience food), the remainders split with quality meat, egg once in a while, liver, and then easy to eat cheese.

All my my sources are balanced into basically thirds

RobertJM

6ft, 210ibs. I’m overweight according to BMI indexes yet all I have is a slight gut. I would say between 80 (on bad days) and 150g of protein per day.