How Much Mushrooms To Eat To Replace Meat?

Kasper

After watching cowspiracy I begin to think it may be actually a good idea (for the earth) to not eat too much meat (like eating meat every single day).

Now I heard Ray Peat saying that mushrooms could theoretically replace meat? How much mushrooms would someone need to eat to replace like 150 gram of beef?

I'm talking about just the typical white mushroom (called champignon mushroom in the netherlands) that you can find in every supermarket.

It seems like there is only 3 gram of protein per 100 gram. Is that correct? Does that mean you would need around 1kg of mushrooms for a decent meat replacement? Seems like a lot!

OP
K

Kasper

Hmm @tyler Danny Roddy last showed a study that we need at least 0.9 gram of protein per kg to keep PTH in check... For me that is around 70 gram of protein.

It could be that he meant mushrooms in that quantity right? Mushrooms contains quite some water, I think it is no problem to eat 500g-1kg of mushrooms (never tried it though), just a bit unusual.

T

tobieagle

I like the idea of getting a big part of your protein from mushrooms. They can even be cultivated at home pretty easily.

Zachs

1kg of mushrooms is a bag filled the size of a basketball. You will have issues eating that much.

As long as your getting around 3k calories a day, you should be getting a good amount of protein from all foods.

OP
K

Kasper

In my experience, they shrink quite a lot, while cooking. 90% is water. I'll try tomorrow 500 gram of mushrooms, and see how much it is after cooking.

They don't contain much macro nutrients (protein/fat/carbs/fiber) that I think it will cause mushrooms to make you feel that filled, but not sure.