How Much Iron Does One Need?

Ben

I think I'm anemic, and it is undoubtedly due to iron deficiency. I had a very low iron diet for a few years and my hematocrit started dropping below its usual value last summer, with no change in diet.

Now I have cold feet constantly, I'm much colder than anyone else, have brain fog, etc. And T3 does not help. I am also at high altitude which demands more red blood cells, so that makes it even worse.

I know copper is good for boosting hemoglobin production by converting iron into its useful form. But about iron, how much is actually needed?

And another question, does iron make one actually feel worse, or is it merely involved in aging? Because I would rather have more blood cells but feel better, than feel crappy and live long. Respiration is good, oxygen is good.

So anyone know how much dietary iron works for them? And how do I know I have supplemented enough iron? What is a good ferratin level?

Hugh Johnson

Iron absorption is pretty strange. Once you are deficient, the body absorbs iron very well. If the problem is deficiency and you don't have any issues with iron absorption simply eating meat and eggs should fix the issue pretty fast. Vitamin C aids and coffee hinders iron absorption.

You need iron. All cells need it for metabolism. Still, you don't want to store any more than you must.

Personally, I've been donating blood 18 months and avoiding iron with no ill effects. Just waiting to get iron deficiency so I can add meat back.

OP
B

Ben

I've been taking iron and T3 for a week or two, but still have cold feet. Now I also had episodes of a repeated needle sensations on the bottom of my left foot a couple of times. I just don't know. Could be a circulatory problem.

jyb

Ben said:
I've been taking iron and T3 for a week or two, but still have cold feet. Now I also had episodes of a repeated needle sensations on the bottom of my left foot a couple of times. I just don't know. Could be a circulatory problem.

If you were really iron deficiency, it would take more than a week to refill and form healthy shaped red blood cells. A few months is minimum, with full iron blood panel before and after to make sure you have neither too much nor too little. Iron bisglycinate 27mg daily or every two days seems to work well with much less side effects than other forms.

OP
B

Ben

jyb said:
Ben said:

If you were really iron deficiency, it would take more than a week to refill and form healthy shaped red blood cells. A few months is minimum, with full iron blood panel before and after to make sure you have neither too much nor too little. Iron bisglycinate 27mg daily or every two days seems to work well with much less side effects than other forms.
Hm, so it's true that it takes a while. I thought that what took long was just replenishing iron stores, which may not be good.

I still believe that circulatory problems cause my issues. I'm probably still anemic, which would contribute to my issues, but I had these issues even when I had above-average hematocrit, whereas my circulatory problems are long-standing and stem back to as long as I can remember.

It really sucks having to go through iron deficiency. I wonder why RP didn't recommend iron level tests in his iron article if he recommended restricting iron. I don't even know what a good iron level is.

jyb

Ben said:
It really sucks having to go through iron deficiency. I wonder why RP didn't recommend iron level tests in his iron article if he recommended restricting iron. I don't even know what a good iron level is.

A deficiency is if the results are way lower than the lower bound of the typical ranges and you get a comment that your red blood cells look pale and thin. It would be flagged upon receiving the full iron panel results and the doctor would tell you to supplement immediately, hopefully after checking that it is indeed due to low iron rather than some other condition like B12 deficiency. Iron bisglycinate works without side effects for many people so recovering iron doesn't necessarily suck. However I have found Ray's recommendation to recover with iron rich food to be grossly insufficient, a supplement is necessary if you went really low in iron. Don't take my word for it - check your iron panel.

tara

Ben said:
I think I'm anemic, and it is undoubtedly due to iron deficiency. I had a very low iron diet for a few years and my hematocrit started dropping below its usual value last summer, with no change in diet.
How do you know you have anemia, and how do you know it's from iron deficiency? Do you have the test results to confirm it?
Not saying you don't, but all those symptoms can have other explanations too.

johns74

jyb said:
[However I have found Ray's recommendation to recover with iron rich food to be grossly insufficient, a supplement is necessary if you went really low in iron.

Did you happen to do one too many phlebotomies and went through deficiency or something?

johns74

jyb said:
However I have found Ray's recommendation to recover with iron rich food to be grossly insufficient, a supplement is necessary if you went really low in iron. Don't take my word for it - check your iron panel.

What about black pudding? Would it be a fast way to replenish iron?

jyb

johns74 said:
jyb said:
However I have found Ray's recommendation to recover with iron rich food to be grossly insufficient, a supplement is necessary if you went really low in iron. Don't take my word for it - check your iron panel.

What about black pudding? Would it be a fast way to replenish iron?

No idea. I used the well tolerated iron bisglycinate, it was quick and easy.

jyb

Reached the low range of "normal" values as confirmed by full iron panel after 1 month, 27mg/day.