How Much Gelatin Is Safe?

yerrag

"Foods that contain high amounts of gelatin can be expected to be highly contaminated with glyphosate" says this article
https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/environmental-toxins/glyphosate-in-collagen/. Does anyone know of a source for organic gelatin?

Thanks for sharing the article.

Considering that Ray Peat recommends gelatin because it is an important protein that helps to preserve our bodies, it is saddening to learn that gelatin can be contaminated with glyphosate, and instead of being something beneficial, would become something that would do harm to our bodies.

Being that the use of glyphosates in Roundup for GMO crops is making food so unsafe to eat, should we be clamoring and agitating and demanding that RoundUp and glyphosate-based fertilizers be banned? It is disheartening that Prager University favors GMOs, and by extension, the use of Roundup and glyphosates. It makes me wonder if Dennis Prager is using his mantle of values-based advocacy to legitimize GMOs.

I've begun using more gelatin already, and seeing this just takes the wind out of increasing the glycine portion of the amino acids I'm taking. It is yet another minefield out of many as we navigate the treacherous straits of managing our health.

yerrag

@Ideonaut I just had a thought. The gelatin you refer to that would be contaminated with glyphosate would have to be from animals fed with GMO feedstock. That would include bovine, porcine, and poultry sources. How about if we get gelatin made from fish? Would it be safer, granting that the fish would not be farm-raised fish, which may also have GMO-based feedstock?

Mage

I was about to ask that! Should we be concerned with glyphosate in gelatims other than great lakes?

Kyle Bigman

This is old but I would like to know if you discovered any source of fish collagen? Marine collagen might be safer. Also–– I agree @sladerunner69, probably safest to just take glycine alone.

Currently I am in a place where there is no access to these types of things, so I feel as if gummy bears is my last option. But those are probably ridden with glyphosate.

TeaRex14

I use NuNaturals collagen peptides and generic Kroger brand gelatin, good stuff. I get around 30-50 grams of protein everyday from them. I wouldn't overthink the sourcing of your product, 95% of our food supply is contaminated with glyphosate to some degree. Unless you're only buying locally sourced foods there's almost a 100% guarantee you're getting trace amounts of glyphosate in your diet. Even locally sourced products can't be completely sure their product never got contaminated by neighboring farms. The good news most of us are also very consciousness about PUFA consumption, so we're removing one of the biggest oxidants and carcinogens from our diets. Cancer is usually caused by an accumulation of things, removing some of the heavy hitters (like PUFA) significantly helps us to deal with other unavoidable toxins like glyphosate.

sladerunner69

This is old but I would like to know if you discovered any source of fish collagen? Marine collagen might be safer. Also–– I agree @sladerunner69, probably safest to just take glycine alone.

Currently I am in a place where there is no access to these types of things, so I feel as if gummy bears is my last option. But those are probably ridden with glyphosate.

So you believe that glyphosate is in generic gelatin?

Kyle Bigman

@sladerunner69 Yea definitely. It concentrates in cartilage. The only brand i know that is glyphosate free is Great Lakes.

Bulletproof told me theirs is also free but i don’t believe them, especially without a lab analysis.

My collagen peptides seem to have an magnetic charge. What should I make of this, safe to eat still?
47B38F78-9C42-4884-84CA-F90342E9C4F7.png

eeeeeeeeeeee

I think a 1:1 ratio of gelatin to the other animal proteins (liver, meat) you get in a day is fine. 150g is a lot, might cause you stomach aches if you keep it up.
General rule of thumb is to do whatever makes you feel good. If 150g of gelatin per day makes you feel healthy and strong, go for it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals