How much fiber should I be getting on a Peat diet?

tara

Peat recommends some specific fibres - raw carrot, cooked bamboo shoots, maybe mushrooms, to sweep out some of the oestrogen and endotoxin in the gut, to help balance hormones and reduce the load on the liver etc. I think what he's going for is fibres that don't break down and feeed the bugs, and if you are lucky they also have mild antibiotic effects. He doesn't generally favour fibres that feed the bugs. He has suggested a grated raw carrot once a day, sometimes twice if needed, between meals. As far as I can tell, that's all - ie he'd prefer no other fibre.

As with many things, I guess you get to try and see what works for you - I don't think there are any shoulds involved.

I think the carrot salad is helpful for me - I kept it up most days most of last year, but I've been lazy about it lately, eatng fruit salad instead. I've haven't yet tried for really low fibre (other than carrot salad), but there are a few stories here of it working well for people, and I might give it a go at some stage.

OP
B

barbwirehouse

tara said:
Peat recommends some specific fibres - raw carrot, cooked bamboo shoots, maybe mushrooms, to sweep out some of the oestrogen and endotoxin in the gut, to help balance hormones and reduce the load on the liver etc. I think what he's going for is fibres that don't break down and feeed the bugs, and if you are lucky they also have mild antibiotic effects. He doesn't generally favour fibres that feed the bugs. He has suggested a grated raw carrot once a day, sometimes twice if needed, between meals. As far as I can tell, that's all - ie he'd prefer no other fibre.

As with many things, I guess you get to try and see what works for you - I don't think there are any shoulds involved.

I think the carrot salad is helpful for me - I kept it up most days most of last year, but I've been lazy about it lately, eatng fruit salad instead. I've haven't yet tried for really low fibre (other than carrot salad), but there are a few stories here of it working well for people, and I might give it a go at some stage.

Thanks Tara. ;) He likes fruit fiber though, or at least doesn't mind it? Seeing as he eats many fruits.

jyb

I noticed rice cakes to be a safe fibre and probably a bulking agent. I mean, just one or two here and then because it goes well with what I eat. It's probably much healthier (less harmful?) than bread for example, in theory definitely.

Otherwise, I eat daily grated carrot a bit religiously (with carotene rinsed off) but I don't find it essential as a pro-digestion habit.

Velve921

I avg. only 7gs of fiber a day. I'm never gassy and have the best bowel movements....blood sugar is also insanely better. Only when I start doing fibrous foods do I get gassy and crash like a tree in the forest. As Dr. Peat says, lower adrenalin and endotoxins then peristalsis works effectively as blood is now sent to the intestine for better digestion...most fibers act like sending metal through a garbage disposal and wrecks the intestinal wall...poor nutrient absorption (gassiness.

This is my understanding based on experience, not just research or written articles.

tara

barbwirehouse said:
He likes fruit fiber though, or at least doesn't mind it? Seeing as he eats many fruits.
Depends - probably on the fruit, the state of the person, and the available alternatives. He recommends strained OJ, for example.
And btw, though I'm eating fruit salad and not carrot salad lately, I'm getting the feeling the carrot fibre does me more good than the fruit fibre.

cdanyluik1

Only fiber should be coming from his suggestions of carrots(1/2 a day), ripe fruit, maybe* potatoes if tolerated.
** White rice is fine Ray peat does not have an issue with it. Even though it is a starch which most people scoff at, white rice is completely digested before it enters large intestine its fiber content is negligible and does not even create much bulk. It is also low on fementation potential within intestines. Physically the way it is processed is almost like pure glucose.

marcar72

I had the same troubles when I first started Peating. I was convinced I needed some fiber in my diet to stay regular and was on/off/on/off again with whole wheat cereal. Well with the on/off going on I detected some gluten sensitivity issues. It bulked up my stool alright but wheat had to go.

So then I was using dates for some insoluble fiber but got frustrated with the off bags that weren't dried out properly. Some of those bags of dates smelt like Pruno they were soo fermented. So I stopped the dates as well.

I was eating a couple bananas a day when first starting out but quit those about a year into Peating. All the while though as I was tapering down the insoluble fiber I was slowly upping my saturated fat intake.

So I guess the high fat intake is keeping me regular now in place of the fiber. Keeping me "greased up" so to say. :lol:

Nowadays I consume little to no fiber on a pretty regular basis (higher fat intake though) and have one bowel movement a day on average. With the wheat fiber I was having one bowel movement every 2-3 days and they were porcelain breakers. There was a short period starting out where I had little fiber and little fat and thats when I was having the worst trouble.

I realize that might be TMI for some people but this is some serious ***t folks!! :lol:

schultz

I checked cronometer. Apparently I get 10-20g on average.I eat a lot of fruit.

Nicholas

from my experience it's not so much the amount of fiber but the type of fiber that your gut prefers at your specific moment in health.

Zachs

I agree with zero being best. Dairy itself is a good bulking agent and a lot easier coming out. Even fruit causes a lot of troubles because it's almost always under ripe or ripened off tree and contains many irritants. If you are getting any bloating, gas or full feeling in the intestines I'd reccomend eliminating all fiber for awhile and see how you feel. One cant do much better then eating dairy, meat, eggs and sugar.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals