How much extra salt when sweating a lot ?

Motif

If somebody does sports a lot for example.
Professionals for example.

how much extra salt would be recommended?

and should the water intake be increased too when getting more salt?

meatbag

If somebody does sports a lot for example.
Professionals for example.

how much extra salt would be recommended?

and should the water intake be increased too when getting more salt?
It seems like just taste and thirst would regulate the requirements

OP
M

Motif

It seems like just taste and thirst would regulate the requirements
Not sure about that. Thirst - ok, but salt requirement not ?‍♂️

i do not really obviously crave it normally, but when I put pure salt in my mouth I could eat tsp‘s of it after.

Not that easy

David PS

David PS

So if it’s salty your good? I don’t know if it’s that easy

He proposes a very subjective test. I was thinking that if it not salty then it time to add extra salt to your diet.

meatbag

Not sure about that. Thirst - ok, but salt requirement not ?‍♂️

i do not really obviously crave it normally, but when I put pure salt in my mouth I could eat tsp‘s of it after.

Not that easy
That's what I mean, you can use your desire for the salt to regulate your intake. Are you looking to measure your daily sodium intake on a scale? I think you could fill a salt shaker and salt the food you eat to taste

There is research indicating that physical activity increases sodium requirements; Optimal Sodium Intake Is At Least 230% Higher Than RDA

SOMO

I try to have 4-10 teaspoons of salt daily, but it's not always possible depending on what I'm eating that day. If I eat mostly fruit in a day, I'm not going to get anywhere near that sodium intake I desire because salted fruit tastes disgusting.

4-10 teaspoons is a good amount for me. That's how much I need to feel normal and that's the amount where my nightime urination stops and I can sleep through the night without having to wake up and pee 5 times.

OP
M

Motif

Maybe I should put some potassium and salt in my water or juice when I’m doing sports. Opinions?
opinions on what doses ?

SOMO

Maybe I should put some potassium and salt in my water or juice when I’m doing sports. Opinions?
opinions on what doses ?

You can, but Potassium MIGHT antagonize sodium, leading to further sodium loss.

Also Potassium is easy to get through diet but sodium is not. Potatoes, bananas, fruit and green veggies all have a lot of potassium.

Personal anecdote but I've been hospitalized several times for low sodium but never for low potassium.

atlee7757

My normal daily Salt supplementation is 3gms in 250ml water AM and 3gms in 250ml PM. If I exercise very heavily and sweat (i.e. dancing to energetic music) for more than 30mins I will add another 3-5gms of salt in 500ml water and drink as the activity progresses. Otherwise, my muscles become progressively tighter and eventually cramp up.

I can drink juice, pop or sugary energy drinks prior to this but after the first hour, they induce almost immediate tightness/cramping. Alcohol has the same tightness/cramping effect.

The tightness/cramping then leads to damaged muscles, tendons and joints below the knees to the ankles.

I find Potassium supplementation to cause tendon/joint issues very quickly.

meatbag

My normal daily Salt supplementation is 3gms in 250ml water AM and 3gms in 250ml PM. If I exercise very heavily and sweat (i.e. dancing to energetic music) for more than 30mins I will add another 3-5gms of salt in 500ml water and drink as the activity progresses. Otherwise, my muscles become progressively tighter and eventually cramp up.

I can drink juice, pop or sugary energy drinks prior to this but after the first hour, they induce almost immediate tightness/cramping. Alcohol has the same tightness/cramping effect.

The tightness/cramping then leads to damaged muscles, tendons and joints below the knees to the ankles.

I find Potassium supplementation to cause tendon/joint issues very quickly.
What is your thyroid function like? Have you measured your resting temperature and pulse rate or gotten any blood work done?

atlee7757

Yes, I know that Peat relates Salt Wasting to hypothyroidism. I spent more than a few years trying to solve the Thyroid problem with little success.

Maintaining a Salt regimen of about 6gms per day has solved many of those problems without any noticeable side effects.

I am capable of 2-3 hour non-stop exercise (dance) sessions without any problems. Most of Peat's focus is on avoiding this type of stress as the first principle, but he is probably 20 years older than me anyways.

My resting temps, pulse, BP are fairly unremarkable. However, the stress of intense exercise brings on a unique set of problems that not everybody is equipped to handle. I see people 20 years younger who can't do it for more than a few minutes before they start to fade.

I use additional quantities of Salt and water as a mechanism to adapt to intense physical stress. I have been doing it for 20-30 years, and for me it has been very successful.

OP
M

Motif

So you guys don’t see a problem with a teaspoon of salt after sweating from daily workouts?

OP
M

Motif

And back to this topic. When I don’t get enough I get short breathed and it’s like my digestion works even 50% worse then anyways

I really need to add a heaped teaspoon to what I get anyway