How Much Calcium Is Too Much Calcium?

Bluebell

According to cronometer I'm getting around 3,000 mg of calcium a day from diet.

I'd like to take an extra 500mg in eggshell calcium to get my calcium:phosphorus ratio up closer to 1.3:1.

Would that be excessive in terms of calcium ingested per day - 3,500 mg?

marcar72

You should be fine. I've been consuming about 3,500 mg/day for over a couple years now and haven't had any known issues. I'd be sure to supplement some K2 though... :2cents

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Thanks, I'll go for it then. Looking forward to some miraculous results from improving the cal phos ratio!

Velve921

Dr. Peat mentioned in an interview that there was a tribe in Africa I believe that consumed upto 5000mg a day. I cannot remember specifics but he said the tribe was unbelievably healthy.

DaveFoster

I've been doing 8 grams for a while. 4 grams phosphorous, 8 grams calcium; 1:2 ratio. I think I'll lower it just a bit.

paymanz

Dr. Peat mentioned in an interview that there was a tribe in Africa I believe that consumed upto 5000mg a day. I cannot remember specifics but he said the tribe was unbelievably healthy.
In what form they get that calcium?!

paymanz

And the milk they drink in those rural areas are usually buffaloes milk,which is higher in ca to p ratio(and also total calcium content).And also are higher in taurine/magnesium content!...compared to cows milk.

Giraffe

KMUD: Hair Loss, Inflammation and Osteoporosis (2012)
RP:The Maasai people and other cattle-raising people in eastern African often get 5000mg of calcium a day, for a long period of time.
HD: And this is all from milk?
RP: Yeah. There‘s been a lot of publicity in the last few months about calcium supplements not being very helpful, and the most popular form of calcium supplement medically has been either calcium gluconate or calcium…I guess gluconate is probably the most popular…
HD: Or citrate.
RP: Citrate, yeah. Citric acid itself causes you to lose calcium in your urine. Lactate is another popular supplement. All of those have their anti-calcification effects, causing you to lose calcium or misplace it.
HD: And here they advertise that calcium citrate is the only observable form for menopausal women, and you‘re saying that it actually inhibits some of the absorption of the calcium?
RP: It activates the loss of calcium in urine, where carbonate…it isn‘t quite as soluble if you don‘t have a lot of acid, but eventually, all the way down to your intestine, it has the chance to absorb, so it‘s a very effective, but safe supplement, because the carbonic acid…the carbon dioxide is the form that stimulates bone formation rather than breaking down the bone.

Last edited:

ljihkugft7

I'd like to take an extra 500mg in eggshell calcium to get my calcium:phosphorus ratio up closer to 1.3:1.

I recently jumped to 3000mg/day after buying some casein.

I immediately started craving chocolate, which I know is my bodies way of telling me I’m VERY low in magnesium.

my magnesium to calcium ratio had been thrown off. Upped my mag and started to feel more satiated.

I found it interesting that having low mag made me a lot more hungry even though I was hitting all my targets, except mag.
I usually feel very fulfilled from my diet and never feel the need to binge, but as soon as my mag went down I felt incredibly hungry.

SamYo123

chronometer doesn't add all the other nutrients for milk?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals