How Much Calcium Can You Absorb At A Time?

J4son

Currently I am supplementing with calcium to treat a defficency.I have made eggshell calcium and put it into capsules.Each capsule contains around 1200 mg of the powder which has 400 mg of calcium.I am taking one with my breakfast , one with my meal and one with dinner.Maybe I ll take one more throughout the day with a glass of milk or two.I have felt it working but I was wondering if I could up my supplementation and take 2 capsules each time instead of one.Would this work or it wouldnt be absorbed?Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks you

Logan-

"How Much Calcium Can You Absorb At A Time?"

I wonder the same thing.

Amazoniac

There can't be a deficiency of a toxin.

- Influence of Calcium Load on Absorption Fraction (Roberto)

"True calcium absorption was studied as a function of the size of the ingested load in healthy adult women, under meal conditions and at loads ranging from 15 to 500 mg calcium. Fractional absorption was highly inversely correlated with the logarithm of load (P < 0.001). At the lowest loads, absorption averaged 64.0% and at the highest, 28.6%."

"Figure 2 presents a plot of the two equations derived by pooling the within-subject regression parameters and shows graphically the effect of adding the bread and digestive juice calcium to the labeled load, that is, the steeper slope resulting from a proportionally greater rightward shift at the low loads than at the high. Since the 30 mg expansion incorporated into the second equation is almost certainly an upper limit of what might have been the true value, the two curves of Fig. 2 (and their parameters) can be thought of as defining an envelope within which the true relationship lies. That the two equations represent extremes is suggested by the values of the two intercepts. When the load from all sources is set at 1 mg, the equation for just the ingested load indicates that only 91.4% is absorbed (which may be low), but the equation for the expanded load indicates 115.3% absorption (which is physiologically impossible). Thus a better estimate of the value for added calcium from bread and digestive secretions is somewhere between these, probably closer to 15 mg [less than 100% at minimum intake]."

upload_2019-12-22_8-36-35.png

"The results presented here permit reasonably precise calculation of the absorptive effects of differing calcium ingestion strategies. Thus, using the parameters of either Eq. (1) or (2), a single 500 mg calcium supplement tablet (if absorbed at the efficiency of milk) would be absorbed at about 29% efficiency (i.e., 140-145 mg), but the same load ingested in two doses of 250 mg each would be absorbed with about 36% efficiency (i.e., 180 mg), and when divided into three doses, about 40% (i.e., 200 mg). In the other direction, a single dose of 2000 mg [as employed by Riis et al.(14)] can be calculated to be absorbed at only 14-15% efficiency, but the same total load spread over four doses would produce 29% absorption. For a load this large a four-dose strategy means very nearly twice as much calcium actually available to the body. Thus the relationship described here is not a physiologic nicety but a matter that has considerable nutritional and therapeutic consequence. This general relationship has been known, or at least assumed, for some time. What the present study provides are the data required to make the relationship quantitative and to facilitate calculations such as the foregoing."

(1) Fraction adsordeb = 0.889 − 0.0964 ln(killcium amount) ± 0.095

Last edited:

lampofred

I think calcium absorption rate varies widely depending on vitamin D levels. Without adequate vitamin D you won't absorb calcium at all.

And before Amazoniac responds warning you against "poison D" lol, Dr. Peat has said calcium and vitamin D only cause issues if PTH is high. And I have found that to be true, I had issues with calcium and vitamin D at first, but I've been able to ease into higher and higher doses by donating blood, drinking coffee, increasing copper intake, and taking cyproheptadine to lower PTH, and am now starting to see the all-around benefits that vit D is supposed to have.

Amazoniac

I think calcium absorption rate varies widely depending on vitamin D levels. Without adequate vitamin D you won't absorb calcium at all.

And before Amazoniac responds warning you against "poison D" lol, Dr. Peat has said calcium and vitamin D only cause issues if PTH is high. And I have found that to be true, I had issues with calcium and vitamin D at first, but I've been able to ease into higher and higher doses by donating blood, drinking coffee, increasing copper intake, and taking cyproheptadine to lower PTH, and am now starting to see the all-around benefits that vit D is supposed to have.
The rate varies, but the wide variation based on killcidiol are when levels are critically low, and for as long as contamination permits, it will be mitigated by channeling more for this purpose and a high killcium intake can help in this regard.
- Anti-Peat - Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

Isn't it interesting that it's possible to react adversely to what you could be in need of? Hugging to the point of suffocation from so much endearment, although in the previous case it's because it can't be metabolized properly.

Last edited:

theLaw

Me: Hey Dr. Peat,

Is there a maximum amount of calcium from eggshells that someone can digest without problems in a single sitting?

Also, is it better to space out eggshell calcium intake throughout the day, or does it matter?

Ray: I’ve known people who took a tablespoonful with good results, but some people have digestive discomfort with that amount.

Amazoniac

Me: Hey Dr. Peat,

Is there a maximum amount of calcium from eggshells that someone can digest without problems in a single sitting?

Also, is it better to space out eggshell calcium intake throughout the day, or does it matter?

Ray: I’ve known people who took a tablespoonful with good results, but some people have digestive discomfort with that amount.
The thread is about how much is absorbed, so if this is the goal, doses should be on the civilized side to avoid adverse interactions. The graph below is more realistic than the ones available in other publications:

- Calcium Absorption in Man: Some Dosing Recommendations

upload_2019-12-22_11-12-8.png
upload_2019-12-22_11-12-15.png

You can take a tablespoon multiple times a day, but I doubt that it's a good idea to be doing it often.

Last edited: