How many tablespoons of gelatin a day?

Dutchie

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how many tablespoons a day of gelatin you all consume? and what would be a minimal daily amount of gelatin for someone who doesn't eat soup/broth (yet) ?

Also,I had this complete gelatinous stock from lamb that I threw in the freezer bc it still doesn't look appatizing to me and now is completely frozen, but if I take the bottle out of the freezer and put it in the fridge will it turn copletely to jello again? and how much of this jello do I need and what to do to make it brothsoup/fluid again?

juanitacarlos

A few weeks ago, actually probably longer, I was trying to eat 50mg/day of the Great Lakes hydro collagen as I noticed that amount almost completely eradicated the pain from a current bout of plantar fasciitis (which is an inflammatory condition in part). I haven't been that committed recently for various reasons but even a few tablespoons for a few days will help with the pain I have noticed. Maybe it's just experimenting with amounts that work for you.

slayers

I take around 40g, which is I believe around 5-6 tablespoons a day

Usually 20g in my morning coffee, skim milk, coconut oil, sugar mix and the other 20g in my protein shake later in the day.

OP
D

Dutchie

Thanx everyone....I luckily don't have jointpains,but I wanted to incorporate it for supposed guthealing benefits and to make Maple Syrup jellies,which are a easy form of protein&sugar&(fat CO from the greased baking scale) to take to work and also to try to bring some variation into my foods,bc I'm basically stuck,eat the same everyday and just don't know what to eat anymore.
Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a fruitarian with all the dates I'm eating and apparently the proteine in all the sugars are sufficient as I hardly crave them :s.......

I wonder if I'll ever gonna feel like I'm having a normal eating pattern......

Speaking of Dates....I bougth this box of very juicy,lowfiber dates but now I found that in the second box most dates had these weird hard granules in the outside and sometimes inside(kinda looks like white sugar),so I threw away most of them. Is this mold or bug-eggs or is that normal?

FunkOdyssey

Dutchie said:
Speaking of Dates....I bougth this box of very juicy,lowfiber dates but now I found that in the second box most dates had these weird hard granules in the outside and sometimes inside(kinda looks like white sugar),so I threw away most of them. Is this mold or bug-eggs or is that normal?

I think its probably just crystallized sugar.

Dan W

I think FunkOdyssey is right about the crystals. I see them frequently, at least on the inside of the dates. And I just bravely licked them to confirm they are not bug eggs :lol:

Another thing to think about on the gelatin is timing. I eat gelatin throughout the day, but also make sure to get a couple tablespoons before bed. I base that on this study where glycine before bed improved sleep quality, daytime alertness, and memory recognition tasks (I'm assuming the latter are just due to better sleep).

juanitacarlos

Dan Wich said:
Another thing to think about on the gelatin is timing. I eat gelatin throughout the day, but also make sure to get a couple tablespoons before bed. I base that on this study where glycine before bed improved sleep quality, daytime alertness, and memory recognition tasks (I'm assuming the latter are just due to better sleep).

Thanks for the reminder Dan. I've been taking mine in the morning and at lunch. I've had heaps of trouble with my sleep lately so might give it a burl tonight. I'm guessing some magnesium might help also.

OP
D

Dutchie

FunkOdyssey said:
Dutchie said:

I think its probably just crystallized sugar.

How can sugar get inside the Date's flesh? :s.....and sugar from what?it says the dtes are fresh and contain no additives.

OP
D

Dutchie

Dan Wich said:
I think FunkOdyssey is right about the crystals. I see them frequently, at least on the inside of the dates. And I just bravely licked them to confirm they are not bug eggs :lol:

Thanx 4 the tip Dan, but if it helps you sleep,wouldn't it make you sleepy when you take it during the day?

FunkOdyssey

Dutchie said:
How can sugar get inside the Date's flesh? :s.....and sugar from what?it says the dtes are fresh and contain no additives.

A date is mostly sugar (sucrose), with some moisture, and a minimal amount of plant structure / fiber to hold it together.

Dan W

Dutchie said:
Thanx 4 the tip Dan, but if it helps you sleep,wouldn't it make you sleepy when you take it during the day?
I would guess that the "inhibitory neurotransmitter" aspect of glycine is only a part of how gelatin affects people. I know Peat believes it's also an anti-inflammatory, and mentions that glycine "apparently has the same kind of quieting, protective antistress action [in every type of cell]."

I don't personally notice sleepiness after gelatin, but that could be because of the 900 watts pointed at me. :idea: :cool: :idea:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dan Wich said:
I don't personally notice sleepiness after gelatin, but that could be because of the 900 watts pointed at me. :idea: :cool: :idea:

Pffffffft. That aint nuttin. I got 384.6 yottawatts pointed at me. :hanginground

OP
D

Dutchie

Jenn said:
I sometimes eat up to 10 tbs/day, more often just 3-5 tbs/day. Only 1-2 TBS per serving.

Yes,I read on your site that you wanted to 'up' your Gelatin intake and I also saw almost all your recipes contain Gelatin and Cream of Tartar (which I can't get over here). Any particular reason why you want to up the Gelatin? Do you also find bc of it you unconsciously eat less/smaller amounts of proteine foods or carbs/sugar or fats?

Jenn

gelatin is one of the easier proteins to digest, it's mandatory for repair of past damage, the liver really likes it, it's anti cancer, contains no tryptophan, etc.

Co you not have a wine industry where you are? Cream of tartar stores indefinitely, like salt, you could probably get it shipped. Not every one needs it.

OP
D

Dutchie

So,I found one site stating that 1Tblspoon of Gelatin is 6grams of protein.

On another site I found someone describing a simplified way of Peat eating to someone else,saying that fruits&other sugars are source of carbs, gelatin for protein and one should drink half to 1liter of milk a day. So,I wonder if this person also factored in the proteins in a liter of milk and the proteins in fruit....