how many of you managed to come off of thyroid ?

FitnessMike

Why most peoples dont manage to come off of thyroid? isn't it that once you on the thyroid and keep optimal metabolism for a while, you should, in most cases gradually come off if with no problems and keep the metabolism up?

equipoise

Why most peoples dont manage to come off of thyroid? isn't it that once you on the thyroid and keep optimal metabolism for a while, you should, in most cases gradually come off if with no problems and keep the metabolism up?
In theory, that is if you develop healthy habits and good diet schedule, stress levels etc.
What's gonna happen if you experiment with thyroid supplementation if you are not actually hypo but euthyroid? Are you just gonna supress your thyroid and shoot yourself in the leg?
Is it worth experimenting? is it safe?

Razvan

In theory, that is if you develop healthy habits and good diet schedule, stress levels etc.
What's gonna happen if you experiment with thyroid supplementation if you are not actually hypo but euthyroid? Are you just gonna supress your thyroid and shoot yourself in the leg?
Is it worth experimenting? is it safe?
Yes it is very safe if you use T3 only and physiological dosages,i occasionally use it before sleep even tho I'm not really hypothyroid.

artist

My thyroid symptoms and TSH are better now off of all meds than they were when I was on a full dose of thyroid (which I was for a few years). Still not ideal TSH (2.5 vs 3.5 before) but I used to be freezing in 90 degree weather, now my body feels pretty normal in that regard. If I had to point to one thing I’d say copper supplementation. If not that then I really have no idea why.

Birdie

Been using thyroid hormone a la Broda Barnes for many years and intend to continue for my health. I used Barnes method with body temps to find my dose, then after finding Ray Peat liked his advice and added that. Peat's idea to use a little T3/T4 at bedtime is an example. And the suggestion to keep the TSH low was another.

My TSH is close to zero following the advice of Barnes and Peat. I've used some "suggestions" on Stop the Thyroid Madness, but going back to Barnes and Peat where that site gets into things above their heads.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’ve personally never tried until this year. I typically come off thyroid in the spring and stay off until fall. This is the first time I haven’t started back up but I certainly will do so if needed. I think it’s a tool for optimal health after a point at least it has been for me. I probably could have technically stopped completely years ago but I felt it helped me function better than without it. There are just so many things in our imperfect environment that can impact us.