How Many Mg For Cypro's Antiserotonergic Effects?

Astolfo

I'm taking 0.6 mg at the morning and 1 mg at the evening. Should it be enough for blocking 5HT receptors? (Both brain and bowel).

opethfeldt

.5mg or even less should be enough. That's the dose I use twice daily. I've gone higher but the anti dopamine effects seem to creep up if I go up to even 1mg per dose.

Grapelander

The Rx comes in 4 mg per pill.

This is from Rx List - CYPROHEPTADINE

Adult Dosage Considerations – Should be Given as Follows:

Hypersensitivity Reaction
4 mg orally every 8 hours initially; maintenance: 4-20 mg/day, up to 32 mg/day divided every 8 hours in some patients; not to exceed 0.5 mg/kg/day

Spasticity Associated With Spinal Cord (Off-label)
2-4 mg orally every 8 hours initially; not to exceed 24 mg/day

Migraine Headache Prophylaxis (Off-Label)
Adults: 2 mg orally every 12 hours with or without propanol

Decreased Appetite Secondary to Chronic Disease (Off-label)
2 mg orally every 6 hours for one week; THEN 4 mg orally every 6 hours

Drug-Induced Sexual Dysfunction (Off-label)
4-12 mg orally 1-2 hours before anticipated coitus or 1-16 mg/day

Serotonin Syndrome (Off-Label)
12 mg initially orally, followed by 2 mg every 2 hours or 4-8 mg orally every 6 hours as needed to control symptoms

Attachments

• Periactin.jpg
    Periactin.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 5

Kingpinguin

That's a lot difference.

You can use it to block serotonin sure. But at 1mg and above you are also blocking dopamine. Specially D3 which control motivation and sex drive. Reason why everyone here recommends 0,5mg is because of this. At that dosage its calculated to block serotonin with minimal dopamine blocking effects. This has been calculated by receptor affinity shown on wikipedia for cyphroheptadine. Do you have serotonin syndrome? I dont think so. So whh you think you need 12mg daily if your not treating that? Just blocking serotonin overtime is whats healthy. Serotonin syndrome is a very critical state and could be fatal. Thats why they use such high doses to intervene and stop it.

Kunstruct

Cyproheptadine is also used for Cushing syndrome since it inhibits ACTH (especially for horses' Cushing syndrome as they also have it not only humans), keep this in mind also, so Cortisol could reach very low levels if a high dose is used then you will feel no energy and sleepiness.

Last edited:

opethfeldt

That's a lot difference.
I was going off personal experience. Sure, the medically accepted doses are way higher but those doses make me and many other people who have tried them sedated and lethargic due to the dopamine blockage. 0.5mg or 1mg once or twice per day largely avoids this issue. As always, your mileage may vary. There are people who take cypro like candy with only positive effects.

Kunstruct

I was going off personal experience. Sure, the medically accepted doses are way higher but those doses make me and many other people who have tried them sedated and lethargic due to the dopamine blockage. 0.5mg or 1mg once or twice per day largely avoids this issue. As always, your mileage may vary. There are people who take cypro like candy with only positive effects.

You get lethargic due to blocking cortisol and histamine.

Kunstruct

I take thyroid as well. I doubt it's from low cortisol. It's possible though.
Since this drug inhibits ACTH (thus Cortisol) and Histamines (since it is an antihistamine after all), these two at low levels are responsible for the most side-effect effects of lethargy feeling in general.

opethfeldt

Since this drug inhibits ACTH (thus Cortisol) and Histamines (since it is an antihistamine after all), these two at low levels are responsible for the most side-effect effects of lethargy feeling in general.
Yeah, it does make sense. I'm guessing it's histamine if anything, because I've used other things like emodin with no lethargy.

Grapelander

You can use it to block serotonin sure. But at 1mg and above you are also blocking dopamine. Specially D3 which control motivation and sex drive. Reason why everyone here recommends 0,5mg is because of this. At that dosage its calculated to block serotonin with minimal dopamine blocking effects. This has been calculated by receptor affinity shown on wikipedia for cyphroheptadine. Do you have serotonin syndrome? I dont think so. So whh you think you need 12mg daily if your not treating that? Just blocking serotonin overtime is whats healthy. Serotonin syndrome is a very critical state and could be fatal. Thats why they use such high doses to intervene and stop it.
Good info - I wondered why it came in 0.5 mg dose. I'll try that for the morning. I have been using concurrent with Androsterone.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals