How Many Fruits Is Too Much? Today I Ate 14 Apples And 1 Pear

jet9

How many fruits is too much? Today i ate total 14 apples and 1 pear. Is it ok?

No added sugar - only fruits, meat/fish, plus veggies (romaine).

p.s. Today is the first day i decided to test getting most of my carbs from fruits and removing starch(potatoes/sweet potatoes) totally. To keep satisfied i need much more fruits :)

Cirion

I personally don't think there's a thing as too many fruits, as long as you're not neglecting other nutrients. One nutrient that can be easy to neglect in the pursuit of lots of fruit, is sodium in particular. Fruit is high in potassium, and it can be easy to have way too much potassium compared to sodium.

tara

Did it make you feel good or bad?

I don't know if I've ever eaten 14 apples in a day, but I might have got close in the past, and don't recall it doing me any noticable harm. Sometimes ripe and raw, sometimes stewed, sometimes baked. Wouldn't have been enough to sustain me without more carbs, though.

My guess is it might be good to vary a bit and have more than just apples and lettuce for fruit and veges over the week to get a wider range of nutrition. Some apples and pears can be a bit starchy. I don't mean that's bad, just that if you are aiming to avoid starch, you may want to picky about which pip fruit you choose.

Some here seem to do well with getting a lot of their carbs from fruit and juice, some include milk, honey, other sugars etc, to avoid starch.
Some of us, including me at this time, seem to benefit from eating some well cooked starchy foods - I haven't done well so far when I've increased fruit and juice etc to high.
I suggest gradually changing it and watching how your body responds, and adjusting accordingly.

PS.

There are also one or two here who seem to do really well for their health by living on all or mainly fruit. But not just apples.

Last edited:

GAF

I ate fruit by the tubful every day for a year plus. Saved my life. Pooped like a champ. I got a new girlfriend who loves using knives so I keep her in the kitchen slicing and dicing fruit like a maniac. Happy Days are here again.

Peatful

p.s. Today is the first day i decided to test getting most of my carbs from fruits and removing starch(potatoes/sweet potatoes) totally. To keep satisfied i need much more fruits :)
What was your temp 20 minutes or so after eating?

My first thought was what was all that fruit doing to your blood sugar?
Probably not bad to do now and then, but for me- I would not do too well eating that much fruit digestively or blood sugar wise in one sitting.

Edit:
Reread. Looks like you did not eat isolated, but with protein-so, not an issue probably-as long as the fruit was ripe.

tara

What was your temp 20 minutes or so after eating?

My first thought was what was all that fruit doing to your blood sugar?
Probably not bad to do now and then, but for me- I would not do too well eating that much fruit digestively or blood sugar wise in one sitting.
Good question about temps - whether they rise or fall after eating.

Personally, my experience with apples, though not necessarily other fruit and definitely not juice, is that they take long enough to chew, and they have enough fibre, that the blood sugar delivery can be relatively slow and steady.

Peatful

Good question about temps - whether they rise or fall after eating.

Personally, my experience with apples, though not necessarily other fruit and definitely not juice, is that they take long enough to chew, and they have enough fibre, that the blood sugar delivery can be relatively slow and steady.
Also, see my edit.
Looks like OP ate protein along with the fruit- and not isolated as I originally assumed.
Still would be prudent to take temps afterward though....

tara

Also, see my edit.
Looks like OP ate protein along with the fruit- and not isolated as I originally assumed.
Still would be prudent to take temps afterward though....
I agree - I did respond to your email before seeing your edit - eating it with protein would make a difference. And yes about temps.

Peatful

I agree - I did respond to your email before seeing your edit - eating it with protein would make a difference. And yes about temps.
I figured you missed the edit.
But I guess the other question regarding apples is the pectin?
Ray I believe isn’t a fan of raw, only cooked apples. Too starchy and pectin a possible endotoxin producer?
I need to search the forum for some clarity.

Last edited:

tara

But I guess the other question regarding apples is the pectin?
Yes. I think pectin can be very bothersome for some people, but not necessarily a big deal for everyone.
Starchiness really varies depending on variety and ripeness.
Yes, I think cooked is easier to digest. Especially if one is trying to eat large quantities as a major dietary staple.

But narrowing the diet too much can be problematic, too. So my approach would be by all means consider whether one does better without them (and other high pectin fruits), but don't avoid them for theoretical reasons if they serve you personally well.
I've had times when having a few raw ripe apples with me has been very helpful - they kept me alert and feeling good while away from home when all the available alternatives, including hunger, were worse.

I'd think sudden major changes in diet can take a bit for the system to handle, too, and slower, watchful adjustments may be easier on it.

Travis

Apples are like that, since they usually have a bit more fructose than glucose. The Fiji apple for instance has a fructose to glucose distribution of 70:30. Since fructose doesn't release insulin, the signals downstream of that—i.e. β-endorphin and leptin—aren't activated. The banana is almost all glucose, so if you feel the need for a good insulin spike you could always eat about six of those.

I have noticed that with apples, and am convinced a person could eat easily 40 per day (~4,000·Cal).

Taotatoes

I ate fruit by the tubful every day for a year plus. Saved my life. Pooped like a champ. I got a new girlfriend who loves using knives so I keep her in the kitchen slicing and dicing fruit like a maniac. Happy Days are here again.
Legit LOL'ed. Awesome.

I'm not sure of pears but my understanding is that apples have a lot of pyruvate which is actually very hard on ones system when ingested.... IIRC Ray has mentioned this.

tara

I got a new girlfriend who loves using knives so I keep her in the kitchen slicing and dicing fruit like a maniac. Happy Days are here again.

I have considered many times to start a dating section here.

Time to update that draft ad again ...
" ... seeks organic orchardist who likes to make fruit salad ... " :emoji_pear::emoji_pineapple::emoji_tangerine::emoji_apple::emoji_banana::emoji_cherries::emoji_peach::emoji_strawberry::emoji_watermelon: :yum:

Jennifer

I'd say, only you know how much is too much for you. For me, the more the better. My whole diet is centered on ripe fruit. Like GAF, fruit helped save my life. It's the only food that keeps my blood sugars stable and my depression and pain away. If you felt good consuming that much fruit but are concerned of its safety, here is what Ray has said about fruit:

Effects Of Stress And Trauma On The Body Podcast with Ray Peat

Ray Peat

ELUV: So let’s talk about someone who perhaps is not that healthy and does have stress which is quite common. What would be the recommended diet for them, what some other things that they can eat?

RAY PEAT: One of the reasons that the single meal eaters tend to get fat and diabetic, is that it triggers a great surge of insulin, and the insulin then triggers cortisol. So if you can eat foods that don't trigger insulin, that's the ideal thing and fruit happens to be the best single type of food for not triggering the stress reactions, because it combines very small amounts of protein, with large amounts of sugar and minerals. Potassium happens to handle sugar in place of insulin, and the fructose component of fruit sugar doesn't require insulin. So, eating a lot of fruit, even at one meal a day, produces much smaller amount of insulin, obesity, and cortisol, than eating, for example, just one big meal of meat and potatoes for example. Meat powerfully stimulates insulin and cortisol and starches are more stimulating to insulin than sugars.

ELUV: So it's almost counterintuitive, when you're talking about taking in fructose in the form of fruit, with people that are insulin sensitive?

RAY PEAT: For about 100 years, fructose has been recognized as the ideal sugar for diabetics because they can metabolize it without needing insulin. It used to be sold in health food stores all across the country and you can still find it in most health food stores for diabetics.