How many eggs?

octaviankid

I've heard that 1-2eggs a week is good. However, I think I've seen this only applies if you can't get organic cage free eggs...So I guess my question is if I have access to organic cage free eggs, does Peat still recommend 1-2eggs a week?

Thanks!

Mittir

RP has given different numbers to different people, 2-3 eggs per week to 2-3 eggs per day.
PUFA content of egg is the main problem. My understanding is that if one eats less liver
then he recommends higher number of eggs. Most of the nutrient in eggs are found in
liver with almost no PUFA. RP mentioned that limiting PUFA intake within 4 grams daily is
protective against cancer. Using cronometer you can figure out how many eggs you can eat
within your PUFA limit. You also need to watch if you are meeting all your nutritional target,
particularly vitamin A. Milk, Egg and liver are the major source of vitamin A.

OP
O

octaviankid

Thanks for the response, Mittir.

So as long as I'm under 4g of PUFA I"m good?
Also, for someone who doesn't have access to liver, is desiccated liver any good?

Thanks!

Mittir

jyb

PUFA in egg is lower than I thought, an average egg seems to have 0.8g.

Up until now, I was concerned about PUFA content so I only had 1 yolk per day, just enough to satisfy the RDA in biotin. Biotin seems to be hard to get other than from egg and liver, although there is a debate on whether gut bacteria is a source too.