How many drops of Vitamin D oil should you be applying to your skin per day MAXIMUM?

How much max?

• 30+ safe

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • 20 max

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 max

• 5 max

• Not safe at all

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Josh

I have the Thorne Vitamin D oil which is 1000IU for every two drops: https://uk.iherb.com/.../Thorne-Research-Vitamin-D.../23516

We’ve had some crappy weather in the UK this year, so I really haven’t got ant Vit D from sunlight since August 2020, so to substitute this from November/December time I’ve been just using many drops of Vit D all over my body-Mainly Chest/belly/arms/back.

Its pretty cheap so I’ve just been adding lots of drops, I don’t know how many-maybe 30+ drops all over daily.. Is this okay? Is it to much? Risk of overdosing on vitamin D?

I don’t take any orally. Sun is starting to come out here in the UK.

rei

As long as you don't do it for months daily without testing your levels you can use 30 safely. On average you need 10k IU daily, from all sources.

OP
J

Josh

As long as you don't do it for months daily without testing your levels you can use 30 safely. On average you need 10k IU daily, from all sources.

I've just not even been thinking about it, going to for sure test for Vitamin D this week. I was reading in one of the threads that you only absorb maybe 10-25% of it so I was going with 30+ to be on the safe side, has anyone ever overdosed from topical application?

OP
J

Josh

Well you need to absorb the 10k so if your numbers are right you would need at least 60 drops daily :D It's very hard to "overdose" to such degree you would get any symptoms, documented cases are result of serious errors in dosing.

see here for examples of amounts Development of Vitamin D Toxicity from Overcorrection of Vitamin D Deficiency: A Review of Case Reports

Yeah and from having a quick read, any overdoses there has ever been, was through oral consumption instead of topical application, I can't seem to find much on topical application at all- so assuming topical application would be 100x harder than oral way right ?

I don't consume it orally at all

golder

Yeah and from having a quick read, any overdoses there has ever been, was through oral consumption instead of topical application, I can't seem to find much on topical application at all- so assuming topical application would be 100x harder than oral way right ?

I don't consume it orally at all
I wonder what the limiting factors are for vitamin D absorption as I don’t seem to ‘feel’ anything from quite large topical applications. Strange because I get absolutely no sun due to work so I would be surprised if I wasn’t deficient. Also I remember hearing Danny said it’s like an absolute wonder supplement for him. What else could be at play here for lacking any noticeable difference from Vit D without having to go through the blood work that I can’t afford currently. Thanks!

rei

I wonder what the limiting factors are for vitamin D absorption as I don’t seem to ‘feel’ anything from quite large topical applications. Strange because I get absolutely no sun due to work so I would be surprised if I wasn’t deficient. Also I remember hearing Danny said it’s like an absolute wonder supplement for him. What else could be at play here for lacking any noticeable difference from Vit D without having to go through the blood work that I can’t afford currently. Thanks!
poor availability? Search this forum and try applying it to your navel. It is supposed to absorb much better that way. Or just eat it. It has additional effects on intestinal function, bacteria population etc. that can be beneficial, or not.

Back
Top Bottom