How Long Would Raw Milk Last In A Hermetically Sealed Glass Jug?

Cirion

JustAGuy

Depends on temperature of your refrigerator, but not more than a week. It starts turning sour pretty quickly, tastewise you can notice a difference after a few days already in my experience.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Well, my farmer already said it should last a week. And that's in a plastic jug. A google search told me one way to improve life is to put it in a glass container. Couple that with the fact it's hermetically sealed, it should at least give me a couple more days than that I would think?

Hans

Forum Supporter
I used to buy lots of raw milk in 5L plastic containers. The milk lasted for ~7, but could have lasted longer if I didn't have to drive 30 minutes with it back home. I didn't have a big enough portable cooler for 60L.

Dave Clark

I can attest to the fact that my raw milk lasts longer in glass. When I bring it home, my wife immediately transfers it to glass, actually she is the one that put it to the test. We normally get a few more days out of it in glass. I also agree that temperature of the fridge is a factor as well.

JustAGuy

Well, my farmer already said it should last a week. And that's in a plastic jug. A google search told me one way to improve life is to put it in a glass container. Couple that with the fact it's hermetically sealed, it should at least give me a couple more days than that I would think?
My raw milk used to sour in glass after about 7 days, I don’t know how well sealed it was though the jug didn’t leak. It was a lid that you could rotate onto it. Putting your refrigerator on the lowest setting will help keep it fresh longer for sure, it could buy you a few more days maybe. I started disliking the taste change after like 5 days already though.

wild-bee

temperature is more important as the natural bacteria living in the milk grow and turn the milk sour, it would still turn if it were tightly sealed as the bacteria is already in there even if it's beneficial. I get 11 days easily from our milk and I think it would take another 3 before it tasted any different but I've drunk it all and started on the fresh lot before then. That is stored in plastic 1 pt screw cap bottles. When I had a rubbish fridge the milk would turn after only 4 days. Make yogurt or kefir from it to add another 2 weeks - 1 month fridge life. Obviously the milk needs to be clean and uncontaminated to start with
Some people like sour raw milk, you can leave it out unrefrigerated overnight to make 'clabbered' milk. It's not dangerous like gone off pasteurised stuff

Dave Clark

Can one freeze raw milk and then thaw it?
I've been doing it for years with no problem. The farm I buy from is too far from home for me to buy as I use, so I get a couple gallons, break them down into halves and quarts and freeze them. Remember to not fill them to the top to allow for freezing expansion.

Runenight201

I've been doing it for years with no problem. The farm I buy from is too far from home for me to buy as I use, so I get a couple gallons, break them down into halves and quarts and freeze them. Remember to not fill them to the top to allow for freezing expansion.

Awesome thank you I will be doing that this Saturday then. I am picking up two gallons of raw goat milk, and I see myself consuming only 4-5 cups a day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals